Laser Engines 40th Anniversary Fly-in

20230522_150219_resized.thumb.jpg.3f4c4426d7b342a89d00507fb5fcda9b.jpgHi Guys,

Phew, what  day I`ve had with my friend at Dartford Nomads Flying Club with my friend, Mick...You should be able to meet him at Buckminster on the 2nd June this year (2023).

Since Jon began to pull the 40th Laser celibration together, this has been my prime objective in my 2023 flying calendar. As previously said my efforts to attend have been somewhat deflected by the large amount of remedial work needed on my parents property. To say I`ve been spinning plates in my attempts to fix the house and have an imput in the Laser event has been something that I`ve struggled with over the last few months. To cut a long story short, the house is gradually getting fixed and my efforts to get models flyable has been something of an epic. Today I turned the crucial corner. Mick and I took my two 180 powered AcroWot XL`s and two 150 powered Wot4XL`s to our Club for final trials and set ups. All has gone reasonably well.

It`s sometimes no quick or easy matter to get models to a 100% all good flying status. In theory provide you get components installed and set up correctly, all should go well....especially if you have loads of model builds under your belt. Inevitably, some aspect of the commisioning regime gets out of hand and testing and set up can become a real frustration. As we will all no doubt acknowledge, sometimes it take more than just one session to get a model to a reasonable level of acceptability. That scenario did indeed hit us a couple of times but we are now over the worst. Out of the four models fielded today, only my newish Wot4XL shows any sign of irritableness. We have air bubbles in the carb fuel line which caused running issues. I suspect a split fuel line possibly caused by one of the brass fuel tank pipes puncturing the feed pipe and allowing air to enter the fuel feed line. Fortunately I have time to repair the issue and will be able to confirm a success before I leave the workshop on the 1st June.

So tonight I only have this outstanding issue to sort out. I`m hopeful that a couple of hours work tomorrow will have to problem fixed. It all takes time and effort but I`m confident all four selected models will be with Mick and I on 2nd June.

How is everyone else making out?

Mike

20230522_150201_resized.jpg

Advert

On 11/03/2023 at 17:39, Chris Walby said:

Thanks for the update Mike, sounds like if we can get a few options for Jon to vote on, you can go with that and would be great for the fly-in.

As for the 180 there nothing wrong with them, just the FT200 sounds really good and as with the Eurobat I was surprised that I needed to add another 500g at the front to get C of G so weight is clearly not an issue!  The FT is meant to be going in the cub, but I still have a gallon of straight fuel and having too much fun with the Eurobat!... Oh and something special on the kitchen table (just assemble and fly, clearly not even close!)

Must get a better video of the Eurobat!

I had a eurobat...terrific model.  Sadly i fitted a then-crap moki 180 which never really ran right and eventually binned the model i think.  Even JE couldnt make it run.  Plane was good though.

2 hours ago, David perry 1 said:

Nick, whats the model and engine (duh, i mean apart from Lizzie and laser obvs...)

Nick isnt here much so ill jump in. Its the black Horse artf job with a 180 in it. 19x6 3 blade prop. Unfortunately the prop got broken, and despite it being offered as a product by fiala they were very reluctant to make a replacement. I think some arm twisting has got the job done and a new one is en route and will hopefully land before next friday

Postcard from Northumberland as I am attending the LMA Longhorsley weekend fly-in (actually got there Wednesday!) great bunch of ladies and gents with fabulous hospitality.

image.thumb.png.733c3fdaad3e3313c760ed74b9e75a38.png

The Dual Ace (twin 70's) has had a good thrashing almost every day and the icing on the cake was the re-maiden of the of the Balsa USA cub with an FT200 in it. Mr Doughnut got al the way up here and then twigged I only the 18 x 8 off the Eurobat (Jon did say a 20 x 6 would better suit it) and right result Arthur (visiting flyer) gave me a 20 x 6 prop.  Result

image.thumb.png.c7412ad68e706114ea272342e6f9f45c.png

Took off with 3/4 throttle, cruises on half and can low and slow on quarter throttle + what is surprising to me is how adaptable the engine is..from fast and furious in the Eurobat to pootler on the cub.

Edited by Chris Walby
  • Like 2

Glad you are having a good session, Chris. You seem to be getting on nicely with the Cub.

I had another good pre-Buckminster session this week at Dartford. The weather was fantastic which added to the pleasure.

My diagnosis on the fuel feed issue on one of my Wot4 XL models was as expected. I`d managed to split the fuel feed pipe to the carb when building up the tank. A quick fettle to remove a sharp edge from the brass tank pipe and replacement of the flexi pipe cured the issue at a stroke. No further problem experienced.

So I now have 2 x Acrowot XL`s and 2 x Wot4 XL`s all in reasonable flying condition for our 40th aniversary bash. All four fit into my Peugeot Tepee van thing together with all the usual flying bits and pieces including a couple of folding chairs, extra fuel and an overnight change of clothes. Everything is now fully charged and all that I need for Friday has been checked off on a tick box list as I`ve started to load the van. There is nothing worse than leaving glow sticks, wing spars or wing bolts back at base camp! Given a little more time and a bigger vehicle, I`d like to have bought the Wots Wot XL with me. Sadly it will have to miss the party. So be it.

Mick and I will be heading up to Buckminster mid morning on Thursday and will then check into the Blue Cow Inn after 14.00hrs. That done, we will head over to Buckminster to see the lay of the land and hopefully hook up with anyone who may be attending the Laser bash next day.

The Blue Cow Inn appears to have a very cosy bar and a reputation for good bar meals at reasonable prices. Mick and I intend to establish head quarters there for the Thursday evening. Anyone wishing to join us will be more than welcome. I don`t make a habit of putting my phone number on the internet generally but here it is for anyone wishing to hook up with us on the Thursday or Friday. Perhaps I could edit the number out of this post once we have all returned home. Please call me if you wish. 07974 131127.

Cheers guys.

Mike

Looking at the long range weather it currently expected to be dry but pretty windy and i am considering my options when it comes to which models to bring. 

Those who have flown there before, is the area surrounded by trees or other obstructions? I ask as a stiff wind is no problem as long as it is not turbulent. If trees etc are churning it up then its another story. 

Just trying to decide on going WWI fighter + Stampe, or doubling down on the WWII action. 

Ultimately i will make the choice on friday morning as i do not trust the weatherman and will use my enhanced skills of looking out the window to make a final choice. 

Looks like 12 - 14mph from the NE which means that the main runway should be in operation, see shot below with arrow indicating likely wind direction. Assuming this to be the case then trees shouldn't be an issue!

image.thumb.png.dfb62355633dbf528b3ba7db021d6bf3.png

26 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

looking out the window to make a final choice. 

As there will be others who are staying overnight on Thursday (Mike) maybe they can give a Thursday night / Friday morning weather update?

I can easily do a weather report on Thursday evening.

I thought I might have had just about the last remaining BNIB AcroWot XL kits still in existance. Tonight, 29/05/23 another has surfaced on the BMFA classifieds site. Certainly rare...move fast if you want an example if this fine and rapidly disappearing classic. It suits a Laser 180 to perfection.

All the best to everyone.

Mike

No sign of the wind abating later this week as yet. Had hoped to go to Buckminster on Thursday, fly camp and fly again on Friday before drive home. Tbh I wouldn’t drive 35 mins to my home patch on the basis of the current forecast so no point driving 7 1/2 hr round trip. Pity as was really looking forward to meeting some fellow Laser enthusiasts. 

Its not raining so i think we are going to be ok. As previously mentioned i may favour my heavier WWII models but we will see. I flew my Stampe on Friday in worse conditions so i am not super worried about it. 

13 - 14mph should not be a problem especially for sports and WWII types. Actually I'm rather glad about it as it will slow my Giant Revolver down on landings!

1 hour ago, Nick Somerville said:

Pity as was really looking forward to meeting some fellow Laser enthusiasts.

C'mon Nick, your Seafury will be at home in the forecasted conditions.

OK. I`m still up for it.....having waited for this special event, I really don`t want to miss it or cancel my hotel booking. Image shows my first attempt at getting everything loaded. My second attempt is rather more satisfactory.

Fingers crossed. Van loaded with all models, batteries all charged and check list double checked. I`m ready to go on Thursday morning.IMG-20230521-WA0002.thumb.jpg.516ce7cc851e0ace61b181980ca8561f.jpg

• Like 2

08.00hrs, Wednesday morning.

Both the Met Office and XCWeather sites show reasons to be cautiously cheerful on Friday. XC is perhaps slightly more encouraging in its forecast but both portals point to a sunny day after about 10.00am. Wind speed about 11mph with gusts to about 22mph.

Mike

Report from Buckminster 🙂 Cloudy, light rain and rather blowy. Will head out at 10:00 and try a bit of electric flying...if it calms down I'll get the FW190 out. Looing a bit like a admin day until things improve (sun is trying to beak through as I type).

image.thumb.png.0ed6c967f45002cfd49848aaf3ac064f.png

Forecast  (Met Office) suggest improvement towards the weekend. I think the DR1 will be left in the hanger, but Dual Ace and possibly the Cub should be okay on Friday.

8 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

That's keen Chris, I thought you weren't getting there until this afternoon!

Had a cracking 6 days up at Longhorsley LMA event and could not see the point driving past Buckminster (+ 2 hours to get home) only to head back up tomorrow so stopped off and will camp until Saturday.... then its Baldock scale day on Sunday 🙂   

• Like 1