Laser Engines 40th Anniversary Fly-in

For those who have not been following the chat on the technical thread a plan is in motion to host a fly-in at Buckminster on the 2nd June 2023 to celebrate 40 years of Laser engines. 

All models types are welcome and the only requirement is the model being powered by a Laser engine. 

I am moving that chat about this event to this thread so we do not clog up the technical questions thread. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I’m in, but which ones to bring? 

Tigercat, why because I'll bring mine along too 😉

For me

• DR1 if the weather plays ball
  • SG Mosquito
  • Cub if I pull my finger out and fit the Laser engine in it !
  • Whatever Jon does not have room for 🤣
  • Any space left then a VQ FW190

image.thumb.png.be7488b14d571595b858217ee7875c21.png

image.thumb.png.083712e2a38bc97b8d98882d2aa7b7a1.png

image.thumb.png.f190f3ee514a648280248a3a786caf7f.png

image.thumb.png.0cc93cd45f7c0f4ececb26faa08ac0d5.png

I had a chat with Manny at the BMFA and he has confirmed a few details. 

It will be a tenner on the door for pilots, spectators are free. Camping will be around £16 and must be booked ahead of time. 

No A or B cert required to fly but all flying will be supervised to ensure we keep to the required standard. 

It is also the responsibility of the pilot to ensure their model is in good mechanical condition and they themselves are fit to fly. Insurance/CAA stuff is also down to the pilot and the guys from the centre have the right to make a spot check on anyone at any time. 

Beyond that they are very supportive of the event and are offering an indoor space so we can duck and cover if it rains and for any other activities we may decide to put on. 

It looks like we already have a nice variety of models lined up and hopefully we get the weather on our side. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mike Kennedy signing in....

Greatful thanks to Jon for organising this quite unique and special event.

I`ll be travelling from the Kenley/Biggin Hill area which is something like a two and a half hour journey. Not wanting to do five hours driving on the day, I`ve booked a B&B twin room at "The Blue Cow" for the Thursday night. It`s just 3.7 miles from BMFA Buckminster. Anyone want to join me for a pint or two on that Thursday evening? The accomodation should ease the pain on the day as well as providing a good breakfast prior to our event. I`m looking forward to several Lincolnshire sausages!

If you are considering accomodation, please start to make reservations NOW! Little more than three months ahead of us now, hotel rooms are booking up fast. I used Hotels.com and the booking proceedure was quick and easy. My card only gets charged on check in at the hotel so there is nothing to pay until then. Cost for the twin roon with ensuite facilities plus breakfast was £90. Excellent value in my opinion especially as it will give me a short two day holiday with all facilities. My pal Mick will also be attending.

What to fly on the day? I`ve two 150 Wot4 XL`s, a recently overhauled 180 AcroWot XL previously owned by Bill McCleod (probably mis-spelled your surname, Bill!), a recently aquired pre-owned 180 Wot Wot XL which is nearing completion. I also have a 150 Tiger Moth which needs finishing and a couple of old 180 Precident Stampes which need rebuild. The Moth and the Stampes are unlikely to be complete in time. I also have a 160FT Jungmeister but it takes ages to rig if I break it down for transport. Although my stripped out Pug/Citroen Tepee van thing is quite capacious, there is a limit to how many airframes it will hold at any on removal session. One of my Pat French Zlin 526 Zlins could attend if I can source another 150/155 to power it. So many kites and so little time....! The challenge is on. How many airframes can we get in the Pug?!

Pleased to have met Bill recently and good to have had a good chat with Ron the other evening.

Very much looking forward to the event and to meeting more like-minded Laser owners.

All the best,

Mike Kennedy

IMG-20230201-WA0003 (1).jpg

IMG-20221022-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230211-WA0001 (1).jpg

IMG-20221128-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230209-WA0006.jpg

Another model joins the fleet with a view to flying at the Laser 40th Anniversary event.

Quite unbelievably I was offered and subsiquently bought a BNIB AcroWot XL kit from a fellow club member. It is possibly the last one still in its box, unassembled and to be seen with the original undesturbed factory packing and transit security tapes still in place. It`s 100% brand new and is completely unmolested. Something of a lucky barn find.

To be fitted with my "Last in stock" Laser 180 in side-winder fashion as shown in images in my post above.

More happy days. My pre-owned Wots Wot XL completed today with another side-winder 180 Laser installed. Again installation is to the same detailing a shown in my post above. The build included tail mounted servos and a 2000NiMh battery fitted mid way along the fusalage towards the tail. No extra tail ballast was needed.

The images attached here show the completed used, low time WWXL and an exciting shot of the newly aquired AWXL still in its transit box!

Next job....my workshop needs a desparately needed clear out. The chaos is so bad I`ve run out of useable bench build space and need to get things sorted before I begin the new AcroWot XL assembly.

Mike

IMG-20230305-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20230305-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230304-WA0002.jpg

• Like 1

A good question and so nicely presented.

A simple answer, Jon. The previous owner put them on the model and one covers a ruddy great hole in the covering! I`m so sorry!! The issue will soon be addressed.

Wouldn`t it be good if some self adhesive Laser Engines stickers could be produced? Think of the advertising value whilst assisting modellers to patch holes in airframes. Clearly Saito foresaw the potential of this multi use flag flyer.....🤣

Stickers would be nice in fairness but its a struggle to get anything new done...or anything old for that matter. 

The lack of drive to do anything exciting from the upper echelon is very draining and even this event is likely going to be my event rather than the company. I do not expect any support arranging it and will likely have to take a day as holiday to attend.  

I did suggest to my boss that he attend. Meet the punters, get their input on products they want... Oh look, a tumble weed.... 

I will continue my harassment and see what comes of it. 

In the interests of Forum political correctness, I have now removed the offending Saito stickers and patched a cut in the under covering. The white was a doddle but I didn`t have any of that dreadful pink/purple colour. Then I found a scrap of used covering removed from the AcroWot XL during the overhaul that I carried out recently. A perfect and almost invisible match satisfying all concerned.

Suggestions for a sticker? Answers in ink, preferably via a nib.

"Laser Engines...lovingly hewn from solid alumium by Hertfordshire craftsmen."

"Laser Engines...the pensioners choice."

"Laser Engines never knowingly run backwards."

Everybody happy again? I`d upload an image but this new W11 based electronic heap is resisting dragging images off my phone and struggling with putting them in the picture gallery.

Mike

• Like 2