Frsky Stabilised Receivers

Nigel Heather

I'm new to Frsky and currently looking at which Archer ACCESS receivers to get.  There are three types

R - standard

GR - includes variometer

SR - includes 3-axis gyro and accelerometer

Not interested in the variometer bur torn between standard (R) and the stabilised (SR).

What are your thoughts?  Other that inherently unstable aircraft, would you say that the stabilised is really aimed at beginners.  If you are a confident pilot is there any need.

I've flown for years without stabilisation (except on helicopters) - just wondering whether I would see any benefit.

Having said that there is so little price difference it seems a crime not to go for the stabilised version - mind you I understand it requires a fair bit of extra configuration just to start using it.

Advert

I have a few SR receivers and find them very good. I use them mainly for hand launching some models, once in the air I turn the stabilisation off only keeping it on in windy conditions. If you have an X18 or X20 they are very easy to set up. Once bound to the transmitter they are calibrated and setup using the transmitter. There is a good video on Youtube by Mr D - falling with style on setting up SR receivers. If you watch his video you will see how easy they are to setup. If you don't want the stabilisation you can set them up so that they operate as standard receivers.

• Like 2

I've mainly gone for stabilised receivers recently for exactly the reasons above:

1. Cost difference so small, why not? Just switch if off and on as needed.

2. Confidence to fly in more difficult wind conditions, especially landings.

3. Much improved hand launching of models.

As an aside, I spent ages setting up OpenTX to work with a flying wing and a stabilised receiver, and it wouldn't behave. Then after reading the receiver instructions, I realised it handled all the setting up of the mixing of elevator and aileron automatically. Doh! Made setting up the model really easy in the end.

I find the big advantage of a stabilised receiver is that it make a small light plane fly like a bigger heavier one giving as has been pointed out the ability to fly safely in turbulent conditions.

I rarely use 'auto level' as I can keep a plane flying how I want but I do like the 'rate' function that 'tames' its reaction to any outside stimulus. In addition it does not limit any aerobatic capability. 

I use the ACCST versions of the S8R in all the machines I use for training beginners.

I have a 3 position switch giving me gyro off / gyro on / stabilisation and a 2 position "Oh poo" switch. Stabilisation is awful and you feel like you are fighting the plane, I really don't recommend using this at all.

The "Oh poo" switch is useful if the beginner does something stupid like flying through the sun, flick it and the plane levels itself and flies on until control can safely be regained. I have tested this in some really bizarre positions and it works like a dream. Never had to use it in earnest but it is a helpful back up.

The level position for this is setup after flight testing and trimming, flick the switch 3 times rapidly with the plane in the attitude you want it to assume and it will self set.

I have also set my Tx up so that when I pull the trainer switch it operates a flight mode for the students to reduce rates as well as handing them control.