Shifty

On 01/08/2023 at 11:37, Futura57 said:

Thanks. I can't afford what they are asking 😢

There are plenty of cheap/free CAD programmes out there which are just as good for our needs, I am sure others would be able to advise on what they use?

On another note I am hoping to sneak at least one of my Shifty's into the caravan with the intention of trying a bit of slope soaring on holiday, maybe even a Gyroo.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get out today to try both versions of Shifty off the slope  Both went surprisingly well, I really needed  a touch more breeze and did cheat at times.

Had some interest from the local gulls, the delta eats up a lot of sky compared to the canard.

Will try again in a good wind when I get the chance. 

I grabbed some video but it will be a week before I can upload, a couple of stills for now.

Rich

20230815_142219.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good news,

This has now been submitted to the powers that be, unfortunately it may be a while before it gets published as there is a canard in the latest issue, bad timing on my part so my apologies. 

When I get chance I will put my usual shopping list together for anyone who wants to give either a crack.

One of my friends has kindly volunteered to beta build the canard version, I am sure he will post here on his progress once he gets started.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 21/11/2023 at 15:37, Richard Harris said:

Good news,

This has now been submitted to the powers that be, unfortunately it may be a while before it gets published as there is a canard in the latest issue, bad timing on my part so my apologies. 

When I get chance I will put my usual shopping list together for anyone who wants to give either a crack.

One of my friends has kindly volunteered to beta build the canard version, I am sure he will post here on his progress once he gets started.

Is both versions ie canard and delta Shifty to be published together Rich?

They both look brilliant 👏 👌 😎👍

9 hours ago, Steve Adams said:

Is both versions ie canard and delta Shifty to be published together Rich?

They both look brilliant 👏 👌 😎👍

Thanks Steve,

Yes,  the plan and article incorporates both examples. 

Looking forward to seeing yours finished Steve.

• Like 1

I think quite a few of us are eagerly awaiting the plans and article on these two models that fly well from a slope etc..

For myself smaller models are a better option these days but I still have a few larger ones...

Edited by Rich Griff

13 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

I think quite a few of us are eagerly awaiting the plans and article on these two models that fly well from a slope etc..

For myself smaller models are a better option these days but I still have a few larger ones...

Rich,

Encouraging to hear, thanks.

I'm no sloper so it will be a personal learning curve to see how it is modified and performs in more capable hillside hands.

In the vidio, the planes were flown rather low down the "gentelish" slope but enough lift was present to gain hieght reliably...

My local slope is about as about as gentle but cilan headland is basically coastal cliffs, a little peninsula if you like near end of the llyn near bardsey. 

Bags of lift there, fantastic slope soaring site. Well worth the visit. Lovely air, lovely views, lovely people, lovely model flying.

Thanks rich, that's even more of an  encouragement.....

Yes your vidio shows a beautifull bit of coastline, north cornish coast ?

National trust site ?

These sorts of places need to become known about by bmfa so they can be protected for this activity, but the models have/uses Motors ?

Cilan is national trust all the way round I believe ?

I did contact NT in a very general enquiry about a site quite local to me but got no reply at all.

Maybe I should contact Andy Symon for his/bmfa view and take on the site of interest...

A bag of sweets for later in the year I feel.

Edited by Rich Griff
  • Like 1

Very much looking forward to the plans appearing in the mag. Richard. This months RCM&E plan, SDZ Foka 4 by Chris Williams, might be a work of art and fly extremely well but I wonder how many will actually get built? I would guess not many people these days have the skills or time for a project of this scale or complexity sadly.
Richard, your Shifty duo designs ticks so many boxes; simple, quick and cheap to build. Quirky (stylish), chuck in the back of the car, type of models. I foresee quite a few getting built. 👍

• Like 1

Rich,

Bang on, next bay to Perranporth, I grabbed 10 mins whilst the kids were at the arcade (which probably cost me more than the balsa to build Shifty).

Pierce, 

Good to hear,  always a gamble with a new shaped model. Hope you give it a go when it arrives on our pages.

Steve,

Coming along nicely.

I've seen the office work you do for fellow Arrows Hawk owners so I'm not expecting a rushed /bland matt black offering like mine.....no pressure....

1 hour ago, Steve Jones 2 said:

Here you go . Beta build complete.. Another great model Rich . If it flys like yours I flew last year it’s going to be fantastic 🤟

IMG_3184.jpeg

IMG_3183.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg

IMG_3181.jpeg

IMG_3180.jpeg

IMG_3179.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

IMG_3177.jpeg

IMG_3175.jpeg

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3178.jpeg

Love it Steve, great covering job. A taste of Mercedes W08 there for sure, just needs a couple of Petronas decals.

Looks like we have a race on our hands.

Out of interest, what's the AUW?

Edited by Richard Harris