Six Nations 2023. Rugby Union.

john stones 1 - Moderator

3 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Luckily, Italy were a shadow of their selves of last week.  They put England under a lot of pressure in the 2nd half - Dallaligo thought Italy won the 2nd half.

England now has 2 weeks to make even more improvements.  Can they?  We shall soon know.

Not a totally valid conclusion. You, and me (praise be), we’re not getting bashed on that combat zone. I have no idea as to relative performance. 
How much did France wander into the game, turn up, it’s Italy, play, eat the food, drink and dally with pretty ladies. Not great if Italy are getting better, (and they are) and you learn it on the match, and leak penalties in the panic of the learning curve.

England, at least did workmanlike. 

How good were we, or Italy. I personally don’t care about Italy

We will learn, Wales, France, Ireland. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Don Fry said:

For an idle moment there, I started to wonder if the Ireland wheel might come off. 
Eyes down now, and if I any nervous, how are you feeling GG?

Despondent.

How can they spend hours doing line out practice, then decide the target is a huge patch of grass rather than a red shirt? As Sam W said - what's the sense in aiming high balls at someone as good as FS? There are other people and areas to kick to......

I know they've been a bit distracted (who wouldn't be) but they seemingly can't do what they've been doing since they first played as 10 year olds....

Have to say that apart from a few players, England didn't imoress

Can it get worse than wooden spoon? Oh, yes, World Cup elimination at group stage 🤔

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Despondent.

How can they spend hours doing line out practice, then decide the target is a huge patch of grass rather than a red shirt? As Sam W said - what's the sense in aiming high balls at someone as good as FS? There are other people and areas to kick to......

I know they've been a bit distracted (who wouldn't be) but they seemingly can't do what they've been doing since they first played as 10 year olds....

Have to say that apart from a few players, England didn't imoress

Can it get worse than wooden spoon? Oh, yes, World Cup elimination at group stage 🤔

If it’s any consolation, I have a few such fears for my lot. 

Nice to Scotland playing some great Rugby. Commentator was rubbish writing them off after just 20 mins then lo Scotland start making in roads and  shift in emphasis is apparent. The quality of media commentators and the dumb pundits across sports is a disgrace. The other half and I sit and listen in wonderment at the inanity

I think being 19-0 down after 20 mins against France was going to take some turning around.  I think the Scots coped better mentally than the French after the 2nd red card.  Also 2 players missing from the game meant there was more room in the pitch and opened up the running and kicking game.  Nevertheless, I agreed with the commentators view that Scotland were done for given who they were facing.

The other attribute of the Scots was that they had mentally prepared themselves to give their all after the 1st red card.  The fillip they got from the 2nd red card and the fact that Scottish teams seem to thrive when chaos reigns gave them the edge.  

Ultimately, the missed try and the intercept try by Ramos in the first half meant the task they faced was formidable.  However, had they not made such a hash of their last lineout they might just have managed to score again.  It was not to be but it was the best match so far in this year's 6 Nations.  I didn't thjnk Fiqou deserved Man of the Match though. 

Z flyer, watch without volume. At the stopage, return volume to listen to the ref. Fine decision explanations today.

Too quiet, sing, scream yourself. SHWBO might shout for silence. Ignore.

“Who beat the All Blacks but good old Sospan fach “

Welsh always have the best anthems. 

• 2 weeks later...

In fairness we have just saw the French side getting their form back. But the gulf between those two teams. Onward and upward. 
And Wales, Italy did two yellows, reverting to indiscipline, left 4 tries on the field, and all you can say, they didn’t panic.

Depressed.

Bet England are really looking forward to next week. But I will still watch.

Swmbo turned out a very nice Budda bowl of smoked duck, winter raspberries.