Six Nations 2023. Rugby Union.

john stones 1 - Moderator

Anyone else seen the "Slammed" [ available on BBC I player ] program about the golden era for Welsh rugby? Well done with much action shown and the story told by some who were there.

Hard to believe that in the sixty's the amateur rules were so strict that even coaching was not allowed. [ only players who were coached were schoolboys.]

Interesting that rugby's rule makers are thinking of making tackling to be only below the waist. It was like that when I played in school [ I was rubbish by the way ] as well as ball carrier not allowed to dive into the tackle. 

I did not get injured playing rugby. With Football I was knocked unconscious by that heavy wet leather ball in the mush, when I came around I was lying on the side line and left. Came around to hear the teacher shout "get back on the field boy!"  As for Cricket that was well dangerous.

I broke a leg playing rugby. Idiot here, hooker, not a prolific scoring position, caught the ball 7 yards out and ran for rare glory, between the posts my fevered brain ranted. A colder brain would have gone a yard or so outside the post.

Result, I scored between the posts, legs including attached full back went other side. Broken fibula.

I agree cricket is dangerous.

I went to a rugby mad school and played for a few years.  Then suddenly everyone was much taller and heavier than me; as I was scrum half, I was a prized target so gave up! 

We were allowed to tackle above the waist - the only serious tackle issues I remember were the result of tackling low - someone's knees, or boots, when running, can do a lot of damage.... 

I can guarantee Delilah will continue to be sung very loudly 🙂

23 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

The most interesting thing for me will be to see how much louder than usual the Welsh fans will be singing "Delilah".

I felt the knife in my hand and ...... suddenly there was a wing rib.......

Yea, swigging dark heavy, in the Diggers down the road, so you don’t get thirsty later, “what we singing Dai, Cliff Richard doing his kiddies singing Christian rhyme”.

”you been up that mountain too long boyo, closed yer last brain cell down, get them in boyo.”

• Like 1

Until minute thirty, thought Wales will not score this century. How they are behind is a mystery. 
I reckon handbags swinging next half.

I sorted fitting of the precovered tail feathers on the big hack this morning, so I’m happy to watch rugby. Sorry to pre retirees.