Colour options for new abode

Geoff Copping

We're in the process of moving to a new property.

Most of our existing furniture is years old, falling apart and donated. Also, the new place is unfurnished so new carpets and wall paints are needed so we're lashing out on new gear.

At our time of life it will probably be a one-off purchase🙄

I should say that we're outdoor people so natural colours are our thing. Blues, greens, yellow etc.

So, we went to a carpet warehouse. Thousands of square metres (we're a modern couple) of carpet, rugs and mats and all of them GREY!!!

Paints next.  Major DIY store and it was a struggle to find coloured paints amid all the tins of GREY!!! Even then it was all muted colours.

Let's sort bedroom furniture. Beds GREY!!! Wardrobes GREY!!! Dressing tables GREY!!! No colours available at all.

Paraphrasing Ford, we can have any colour we want as long as it's GREY!!!!

What has happened to the world that it has gone GREY?? and what has happened to customer choice???

Everything grey in the bedroom, how will I find my underpants???

We did find a small swatch of coloured carpets so we did get sorted but it wasn't easy.

• Like 1

Advert

The neighbours opposite are having an extension and renovation. Front door, grey, windows, grey, new roof, grey. It's starting to look a bit like a cross between an industrial unit and a public toilet (remember those?). The upper floor is being rendered too, wonder if they will paint it grey?

Edited by Shaun Walsh

It's just like clothes - 'they' say this is the fashion and you must have it, then 'they' so that it's old fashioned you must have new.   Just to sell new stuff.   ( 'they'  are of course TV and now online 'influencers' )

When doing up a house ( to sell as executor)  I found that " Contract carpet" was available reasonably cheaply and in wide sizes too.  Doing the whole house the same was cheaper.  I chose something light but with a fleck of colour that would not show the dirt too much.   Worked to sell the house.   But of course if you live there then choose what you like......... but stray too far from fashion makes it harder to sell if situation changes soon.  

1 hour ago, kc said:

It's just like clothes - 'they' say this is the fashion and you must have it, then 'they' so that it's old fashioned you must have new.   Just to sell new stuff.   ( 'they'  are of course TV and now online 'influencers' )

When doing up a house ( to sell as executor)  I found that " Contract carpet" was available reasonably cheaply and in wide sizes too.  Doing the whole house the same was cheaper.  I chose something light but with a fleck of colour that would not show the dirt too much.   Worked to sell the house.   But of course if you live there then choose what you like......... but stray too far from fashion makes it harder to sell if situation changes soon.  

I do wonder when they talk about customer demand if it's what customers are asking for or is it the suppliers saying this is what you'll have🤔

As it happens it's a housing association property so the only furnishing I'll need next is the lining of my wicker casket, but I don't think that will bother me🙄