Which circular saw?

riqaza

Hi guys, hope this is the right section for this.

I want to cut some oroko to make a bed, they are 6 x 3" lengths. I have cut oroko before and know it is very hard.

I need to get a circular saw to cut it and I'm looking at a Makita 5703r or 5704r. I wondered if anyone knew whether these would be up to the job?

I guess a lot of it is down to the blade so if anyone could recommend a saw blade that would be great, 

Advert

Just now, riqaza said:

Hi guys, hope this is the right section for this.

I want to cut some oroko to make a bed, they are 6 x 3" lengths. I have cut oroko before and know it is very hard.

I need to get a circular saw to cut it and I'm looking at a Makita 5703r or 5704r. I wondered if anyone knew whether these would be up to the job?

I guess a lot of it is down to the blade so if anyone could recommend a saw blade that would be great on circular saw

thanks for any help

Edited by riqaza

First you need to consider what further use you will have for a circular saw after you  have used it for making the bed. Otherwise they are going to be some very expensive saw cuts. I would look for a hack space near where you live and check it out . The one near me is well equipped with a table saw, planer thoicknesser, band saw, chop saw etc. You say you've cut Iroko before so you will be aware of the need for a good quality dust mask. Certainly buy the most powerful one you can afford and fit a good quality blade. Check Axminster tools or D&M tools to se what they offer. I've made a number of beds over the years, good luck with the project,

I needed one to build my modelling shed. First tried a cheapo from Home Base  but it was rubbish and taken straight back. I then got a Skill saw from B&Q which saw a lot of work for 22 years until someone stole it. Makita are expensive, particularly the batteries but are very good. If yours is not going to do much after that job then you may be able to get one from Lidl or Aldi for a fraction of the price. Never had a problem with any power tools I have bought from them.

Point made earlier - I have a 10” B&D I think that was only used once by me and then by my son in law when he was cutting up sleepers.  Cost a lot in its day but now gathering dust.  So old now I don’t know if I want to use it again and can’t think why I would.  It’s big heavy thing and has a mains lead so awkward to use.

So definitely consider well before splashing out.  For all my modelling needs I use the small Proxxon, excellent for what I want.

If you are just cross-cutting I would buy a disposable cross-cut hand saw. Sandvik or similar. Surprisingly sharp and accurate for the money. As for circular saws, you will struggle to get a square cut because 6inches width doesn't make for much stability. You would need to have something to support the saw either side of the piece you are cutting and clamp a cross piece on to act as guide fence.You also need a saw with enough depth of cut to cut through.

I spent my working life as a cabinet maker and boat builder and a circular saw is the last tool I would reach for for this . 

Mitre saw would be a better bet for accuracy and safety but a lot of money for one job. Cutting by hand is more accurate, a lot less dusty and you will probably still have some fingers left when you have finished.

If you go for a power saw a Rip Blade for cutting along the length (less teeth) and a Cross Cut blade for cutting across the grain (more teeth)

Iroko is oily so rubbing the blade with candle wax before you start works a treat for handsaws and circular saws.

I bought Metabo and Festool kit when I was working but you need to be doing it professionally to justify the cost!

Just my opinion and never too old to learn.

• Like 1