Please help me. I'm seventy-five next month and I'm being left behind.

David Davis

10 hours ago, Learner said:

Some learn to fly others need assistance from a computer. 

Unfortunately cars are going the same way auto braking, lane assist etc 

The majority of people on here will have learnt to fky with 'non computerised' radios so many, including myself, will find that comment, frankly, rather insulting.

23 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

The majority of people on here will have learnt to fky with 'non computerised' radios so many, including myself, will find that comment, frankly, rather insulting.

Sorry it wasnt meant to be insulting .

My point was that as you say many have and can learn to fly without the latest wizardry. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PatMc said:

I've no need or desire to prove my model flying ability to anyone. 

No you dont have to prove your flying ability, I just like seeing good flyers fly.

I think I meant a fly in not a fly off!

I'm worse on forums than at the field

Edited by Learner
Field
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

My first Successful radio was RCS Guidance System.. One switch and one button. Press once for right, press twice for left.

You don't know that you have lived!!!!

Similar experience here, except mine was a MacGregor single channel. I did start off with a sequential escapement (alternating left and right with each press), but never got on with it. No matter how careful you were to keep track, you were never sure what was going to come up next! Only got reliable when I switched to an Elmic Compact...

I still have that Compact, and still fly models with it (Sharkface and a sub-Mini - half size Super60), and you know what? I get just as much fun out of flying those as I do from my super capable, all singing and dancing, computerised transmitter controlled models!

--

Pete

Thank you for so many informative and comrehensive replies. Sorry not to have replied sooner but I have been swamped by domestic and bureaucratic matters. As many of you have guessed, I will stick with the devil I know especially as I found out yesterday that I am £800 worse off than I thought I was!

Despite the picture of me carrying the Big Guff in my thumbnail/avatar, most of my models have ailerons, but I keep two or three three-channel vintage models as basic trainers for those who find a 46 powered Boomerang too hot to handle. Then there are my two Barons, but they are reseved for competition use. Only one of my four-channel models requires a fifth channel, my Senior Telemaster which has flaps. However, I was given a foamie ARTF Flying Fortress a couple of years back which I've never got round to assembling. As well as the normal controls it has flaps, a retractable undercarriage and bomb-dropping capabilities. I make that seven channels. As my Spektrum DX9 has nine channels it should be adequate.

I am also in the process of finishing off a Galaxy Models Mystic, picture below, and I intend to assign two seperate channels to its ailerons for the first time in my r/c flying life, in order to improve adjustability. Then there's my BE2e which will get a gyro to help with take-offs. If it's not running exactly into wind it can tip up onto its wingtip. So taken all round I'm not as much of a luddite as I like to present myself!

If I were keen on IT, I dare say that I could learn about programming a Radio Master transmitter but I'd rather spend my time gardening, painting and building a set of gates to prevent my dog running out into the road!  However, your answers have provoked me into thinking about making some changes to the programming of my DX9. On my previous Sanwa and Futaba transmitters there were two rate switches for the elevator and ailerons giving a total of four possible positions. I have assigned the rates to two similar two-position switches on my Spektrum transmitter. This means that the throttle cut has to be assigned to a three-position switch. We never had one of those in the old days but my club's treasurer, an exclusively electric ARTF flyer seems to think they're essential! It would make sense to put the throttle cut on to one of the two position switches and the rates on a three position switch.

For an amusing story about the complexity of programming modern radios, please see my thread about the French Radio Queens.

We All Do This Don't We (1).JPG

Sounds like a good plan!

When we say 'programming' in respect to the OpenTX/EdgeTX transmitters, it's not like writing machine code, or 'C' ..... you're just picking menu items, like on other radios, but the parameters of everything can be chosen by you, rather than a developer working for the manufacturer.

Most basic sport and scale models can be quite successfully flown without a 'computer radio'. My first computer radio was a Futaba FF7 that I bought at Sandown during the early 90s IIRC - it was a revelation to have 4 model memories (expandable) and a series of mixers and facilities that did make setting up even a simple model quite straightforward. I'd managed perfectly well up to that point with my Challenger outfit which was regarded as fairly advanced with certain features available via switches and potentiometers. Same thing with my Futaba 'Gold' Tranny. I still have them both in the cupboard.

The FF7 programming wasn't at all simple and a book was published by a lady engineer IIRC, that took one through the steps, one step at a time to get the various more involved options to work. I still have the book as well, somewhere.

Even back then, some questioned the need for programmable TXs with multiple model programmes and the hobby was getting far too complicated - not too much of a change really.

As with many goods, do your homework, ask whether you really need all the extras and then select something that will suit you personally and not because it's the latest fad or whatever. I don't own an Open Source radio and doubt if I ever will, because I don't really need all that extra 'funtionality' that it provides for the models that I fly. I find the 8 channels on my DX8 do all that I need, so buying into an Open Source set would really be a waste of time and money for me.

I've no doubt that I could get my head round the different approach to its use - but I simply don't need to.

It's good to have the choice though.

Edited by Cuban8

• 1 month later...

David, 

This video is a year old and the presenter doesn't mention Radiomaster which seems to be flavour of the month now, but it might help illuminate the darkness. Like you I'm trying to get to speed with the latest developments, but the danger is to buy something that has bells and whistles which you'll never use. 

Realistically, probably over 90% of radios have 'bells and whistles' that may never be used...... just like phones, laptops, computer programmes..... even smart tv's!

In comparing Spektrum and an OpenTX/EdgeTX radio, the choice is quite simple:

• Spektrum - you can do what the development team can deliver, fully tested, for a price
  • OpenTX/EdgeTX radios - if you think you want to do it, you can

Using OpenTX/EdgeTX is really no harder for 'common' stuff like multiple rates, expo, curves, than Spektrum, once you understand the logic.  Once you understand the basics, you can easily do all sorts of stuff.  For example....

My DoubleTrouble has no rates. no flight modes, and is a simple dual aileron plane.  Using the wizard in EdgeTX, I set it up in a few minutes, then just adjusted the rates, and throttle curve in a matter of minutes.

My Valiant has more 'jiggery pokery'... multiple flight modes (rates, expo, curves); control of on-board-glow to light or fully, or partly, based on flight modes and throttle position; auto-flap retract for go-arounds; voice alerts and warnings.... but it started from the wizard and I just added stuff as I went along - partly because I could!

On my Corsair, dropping the undercarriage alone initiates a mix that matches the speed of wheel deployment; dropping the flaps has a different mix; if they are both deployed, a third mix comes into effect.  Just a few minutes effort in Companion, with a couple of minor tweaks at the field....

For me, a big draw for my Taranis+IRange4, and latterly for my Radiomaster, was that I didn't want to have to use different brands of tx, for my various planes, quads, and helis.  Also, neither of my older Spektrum trannies would do what I wanted on my Ultrastick (pretty much set up like a 4 servo glider with coupled/uncoupled flaps & ailerons, multiple flight modes, plus crow braking).  My choice was £200 on the Taranis, or nearer £1,000 on Spektrum...... and still need multiple txs.  You can guess what I chose!  I can't imagine going back....

• Thanks 1

If you struggle to learn new computer stuff and have the funds I'd stick with Spektrum and look for an NX8 or NX10. I have the NX8 and I am very satisfied with it. I find it pretty easy to understand and there's loads of videos on youtube helping me with the complicated bits.

There's a bloke with a channel called BDTennessee who explains all the extras and he helps with step by step guides.

Best wishes

KB

1 minute ago, Keith Billinge said:

If you struggle to learn new computer stuff and have the funds I'd stick with Spektrum and look for an NX8 or NX10. I have the NX8 and I am very satisfied with it. I find it pretty easy to understand and there's loads of videos on youtube helping me with the complicated bits.

There's a bloke with a channel called BDTennessee who explains all the extras and he helps with step by step guides.

Best wishes

KB

Thank you Keith. My DX9 is proving to be reliable enough for the time being.

• Like 1