Rubber Powered Kits

Greg

Ignore my other post on this subject I put it in the wrong category.

I see from various searches I have done that rubber powered model kits, like I had when a boy, are still available for sale. Just out of interest as a bit of fun and an added experience in model building are they worth purchasing?

I'd be interested to hear members comments.

Greg

Hello Mark, Thank you for your reply. I had not thought about eventually converting rubber powered models to RC. Seems a good idea but what about them as just rubber powered? Are they worth a try? Flying wise, I assume that they just fly in a straight line and then land (hopefully)?

Thanks for the video. I'll take a look.

Greg

I remember seeing some of these at an event at the Shuttleworth Museum many moons ago, was really surprised at how long they flew for at times, often well in to the minutes. I remember it well as I was a bit younger and watching these old boys running around after their models was quite amusing! 

• Like 1

Thank you Mark. I did wonder if you trimmed them to fly in a circle. Do you know if they can be trimmed to flying a tight circle because being old I would not want to go far to get it back! 😁

Thanks for the video.

Greg

Edited by Greg
Forgot to mention the video

Hi Greg,

I guess everyone is different and until you try it you will not know if it for you or not. I enjoy a bit of stick and tissue type of building and have really enjoyed building some rubber powered models. When it comes to the flying, it depends on the type of model you build and your ability to trim a model.

Just like R/C, Rubber Power Free Flight can be simple but can also become very complex as you seek out greater performance. I quickly found myself in the position of needing to install dethermalisers to stop my models from disappearing into the distance.

Watching A rubber model that I have built, leave my hand and fly in steady circles, rising into the air, has been just as thrilling as any of my R/C flying experiences.   

Watch the Maxflirt videos as suggested and choose a kit from the Vintage Model Company. The Sparrowhawk is a great introduction to Rubber Power.

Sparrowhawk Sports Flier - The Vintage Model Company

Edited by George P.
Added Link
  • Like 1

With today's light weight RC gear there is no reason a rubber powered model can not be RC assist with just a rudder tab to steer model back to oneself once on the glide. I do this with my Mills 75 powered Veron Cardinal.

SAM_1633 (2).JPG

• Like 1

Hello George, Very interesting what you have said. I came to this hobby just a few weeks ago with the intention of learning to fly powered gliders but I have unfortunately caught the bug. I will still be building RC powered but as I really enjoy building model boats and now model aircraft I thought that rubber powered would be another string to my bow as it were!

To me, it is as much in the building as it is in the flying or sailing.

Greg

• Like 3

If you go to one of the Modelair events at the Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden you will see plenty of rubber powered models and can ask the owners all of your questions.                    MayFly  13th – 14th May 2023   

Scale Weekend  22nd – 23rd July 2023                  Festival of Flight  16th – 17th September

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Greg said:

Ignore my other post on this subject I put it in the wrong category.

I see from various searches I have done that rubber powered model kits, like I had when a boy, are still available for sale. Just out of interest as a bit of fun and an added experience in model building are they worth purchasing?

I'd be interested to hear members comments.

Greg

maxfliart is a master of rubber powered models. It is well worth looking at the models he builds on his YouTube channel. Here's an example:

• Like 1

Built a KK Ajax when my kids were very young (me too!),

a lot of fun to build and fly 😊

Wheelspin Models are doing the kit for about £31 if you fancy a go Greg. It comes with the tissue but I covered mine with Litespan which is still available as long as you like orange! Tougher than tissue, as light and not so likely to produce warps.

• Like 1

In answer to your original question Greg, yes they are worth getting. Manufacturing technology has moved on and many now offer laser cut parts as opposed to the die crushed sheets that we used to get.  You might be surprised just how far a well trimmed model can drift though, even when set up to fly in circles, so if you're sticking with free flight you might want to fit a dethermaliser.  

I find that there is something magical about watching a well trimmed rubber powered model making use of every last scrap of energy from just a twisted piece of elastic.

My local club flying field has trees on one side and a barbed wire fence surrounding the strip, so I now fit rudder only R/C to my rubber powered models to keep them out of trouble.

This is a picture of my Mercury. This is not a high performance model by todays standards but will fly for 2 minutes in still air, which is why I'm glad I fitted R/C.

IMG_20210722_111637862.thumb.jpg.3b7c2ab97bfa0cbc6a99cffe01484fb7.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Greg,

Hope your managing the bug and have been keeping busy.

You will enjoy making and learning with a rubber powered free flight particularly if you have easy access to a sports hall.

Some of the larger r/p FF convert easily to RC, at the time with 80's cheapo 27meg kit etc..

The Perkins "red zephyr" ?? Took its time in turning needing an enlarged rudder. The "found" was great also...

You will enjoy making them.

How is your chosen glider making going ?

I'm sure your " prop the dipping wing" regime is embedded and well practised ready for the day...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bryan Lea said:

If you go to one of the Modelair events at the Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden you will see plenty of rubber powered models and can ask the owners all of your questions.                    MayFly  13th – 14th May 2023   

Scale Weekend  22nd – 23rd July 2023                  Festival of Flight  16th – 17th September

Hello Bryan, Thank you for the information.

Greg

10 hours ago, paul devereux said:

maxfliart is a master of rubber powered models. It is well worth looking at the models he builds on his YouTube channel. Here's an example:

Hello Paul, Thank you for the link to the video. It was very interesting to see how he trimmed the little aircraft. I will watch more of his videos to gain more information on rubber powered flying. I must say that I did not realise how much interested there is in this part of the hobby.

Greg

1 hour ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Built a KK Ajax when my kids were very young (me too!),

a lot of fun to build and fly 😊

Wheelspin Models are doing the kit for about £31 if you fancy a go Greg. It comes with the tissue but I covered mine with Litespan which is still available as long as you like orange! Tougher than tissue, as light and not so likely to produce warps.

Hello Piers, Hope you are well. Thank you for the information. I had seen the Ajax when doing one of my many searches and did think that may be a good option to add yet another string to my bow. 

Speak to you soon.

Greg

1 hour ago, John T said:

In answer to your original question Greg, yes they are worth getting. Manufacturing technology has moved on and many now offer laser cut parts as opposed to the die crushed sheets that we used to get.  You might be surprised just how far a well trimmed model can drift though, even when set up to fly in circles, so if you're sticking with free flight you might want to fit a dethermalizer.  

I find that there is something magical about watching a well trimmed rubber powered model making use of every last scrap of energy from just a twisted piece of elastic.

My local club flying field has trees on one side and a barbed wire fence surrounding the strip, so I now fit rudder only R/C to my rubber powered models to keep them out of trouble.

This is a picture of my Mercury. This is not a high performance model by todays standards but will fly for 2 minutes in still air, which is why I'm glad I fitted R/C.

IMG_20210722_111637862.thumb.jpg.3b7c2ab97bfa0cbc6a99cffe01484fb7.jpg

Hello John, Thank you for the information and the encouragement with regards to rubber powered flight. You say if I do decide to build one of these models I might like to fit a dethermalizer. As a beginner to model flying I am not familiar with all the terminology of flying and available gizmos yet so please could you let me know what a  dethermalizer is?

Greg

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi Greg,

Hope your managing the bug and have been keeping busy.

You will enjoy making and learning with a rubber powered free flight particularly if you have easy access to a sports hall.

Some of the larger r/p FF convert easily to RC, at the time with 80's cheapo 27meg kit etc..

The Perkins "red zephyr" ?? Took its time in turning needing an enlarged rudder. The "found" was great also...

You will enjoy making them.

How is your chosen glider making going ?

I'm sure your " prop the dipping wing" regime is embedded and well practised ready for the day...

Hello Rich, Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I'm not able to do any building at the moment following the surgery I had on my right hand just over a week ago. So I am keeping myself busy looking at my future options in the hobby. I hope to start building again in about a month but if all goes well it could be sooner.

Concerning the glider, prior to the surgery my building of the Amethyst III was going well. I have completed the main build. I now have to fit the electrics and cover the aircraft. So by the time I have done that they nicer weather should be here ready for the maiden flight.

Greg