OS 46FX

KenC

The screw thread is M3 but the hexagon size in the head is 2.5mm. So try one that is marked 2.5

I just dug out an old OS 45 FSR. Lovely quality engine, must be 40 years old! It has 6 head screws which also need a 2.5mm hexagon key, or bit.

Edited by Jonathan W
more info

1 hour ago, Jonathan W said:

Well, I've seen far worse. If they feel smooth, I think the engine would run OK with those bearings, but they would need replacing in the near future.

Exactly right. 

I have seen worse too but its already half in bits so you might as well do the job now. Also if a bearing should break up (remember they rotate around 180 times a second at full power) you completely destroy the engine. Its better to just do the work now and not take any chances. 

If you are really struggling with the screws then that does make life difficult. I was going to offer help with the work if you were really suck but Jonathan beat me to it. Also i tend to favour teaching someone to do the work as its a skill they will always have. Teach a man to fish and all that. I also dont want to open an engine serving business just yet! 

The other comments on allen keys/screws etc are all perfectly good advice. A decent set of allen drivers are really useful so dont think of them as a one time purchase just for this job. They will always come in handy. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

Thanks for all the amazing answers and help from all.  Must say that the spares prices from the stockists are sparse and silly prices.  If you add up sleeve , piston, and 2 bearings from the official folk , its more than a Force engine NEW !    After only owning OS 2 Stroke  for decades, its time to protest with my feet. If these things are going to be disposable lets keep the price low.

7 minutes ago, KenC said:

Thanks for all the amazing answers and help from all.  Must say that the spares prices from the stockists are sparse and silly prices.  If you add up sleeve , piston, and 2 bearings from the official folk , its more than a Force engine NEW !    After only owning OS 2 Stroke  for decades, its time to protest with my feet. If these things are going to be disposable lets keep the price low.

Part of the issue is the fx range was discontinued about 15 years ago so spares are going to be thin on the ground these days. 

Even so, rebuilds on 2 strokes have always been questionable in terms of value and as you rightly point out, new engines are 100-150 quid. A brand new OS46ax is about 140 and the bigger 55 barely a tenner more. 

Yes Jon your right, I am still amazed at the Ripmax    OS spares   Carb £50 , Bearings X 2 £35, Crank £33, needle £14    We are at the price of a new one  and we don't have 60% of the engine ! Anyway I am being old and moaning 🙂

Aye, but try buying spare parts for your car and see how much a big repair soon exceeds the economic value!

The bearings will cost you less than £8 for the pair at Simply Bearings. If I remember correctly, your carb just needs freeing up. Did you manage to get the head off and look at the bore? If the bore is good, all you need to buy is the bearings. If the bore is flaking, the engine is unfortunately scrap, or just run it until it dies.

11 hours ago, Nick Cripps said:

Try RC Japan for OS parts here.

The order process is a bit convoluted but my last order came in just over a week so works well. Add a few glowplugs as well at about half the UK price.

I checked their website and couldn't find any bits for the Fx range . 

Brilliant company . Order posted on Friday . Arrived on Tuesday ! And at less than half the cost of UK sorted parts Inc postage ! Thoroughly recommend them.

• Like 1

Gents, thanks to the expert hand of my local Consultant ... and at his best advice having opened the magic box and studied the piston and sleeve, its a runner !!

So I have bought some fuel  and will run her up in a couple of days. We are going to watch the bearings and at the very slightest ill sound I will abort and replace. 

My thanks for his cleaning and checking ..... The Engine Doctor  aka Phil. 

On 06/03/2023 at 09:26, Engine Doctor said:

I checked their website and couldn't find any bits for the Fx range . 

Brilliant company . Order posted on Friday . Arrived on Tuesday ! And at less than half the cost of UK sorted parts Inc postage ! Thoroughly recommend them.

Yes I had looked too , and at the other similar that you suggested.  Just engines had none of the parts for any of them .