IC Engine Flyers best general charger

KenC

What is the most usable charger for all your IC powered  ( LiPo varieties not needed ) flying needs RX, NiMH  and possibly Pb 12v

Does it have to look like a weapon from Star Wars 

Perhaps even include a discharger, or is that old fashioned for modern batteries ?

Advert

Don’t assume, cos you fly IC you are not going to use LiPo batteries. I use reliable switches that fail on, and regulate volts to the receiver. Powered by LiPo. I use high voltage servos, the ic powered plane then uses a 2 cell LiPo to power all the electronics. 
So I use common or garden 4 button chargers, HobbyKing in my case, than can charge and discharge, ( still a needed function) anything. 
You don’t need a spaceship type. A 50 watt jobbie will do. 

I'd get a multi-chemistry charger, capable of balance charging, charging, discharging, storage.  I've also found that I have a growing number of batteries in my ic planes:

1 battery pack - simple sport planes

2 packs - petrol and fixed u/c; petrol and electric u/c; sport planes with on board glow

3 packs - petrol with mechanical retracting u/c.

Long way of saying I make use of a charger with multiple outputs, and multiple chemistries ('cos I use NiMh, LiPo and LiFe), otherwise it takes a while as I usually take at least 2 ic planes to the field, plus some leccy's.

Personally, I never charge at the field so only have a mains charger.

I use a couple of things for IC.

A cheap 4 button IMAX B6 copy/clone, used to charge the lipo on my starter, and the other lipo on my fuel pump / glow driver.

A home made trickle charger* which can trickle charge 5x 4.8V packs in one go.

The charger that came with my TX.

If I'm in a hurry to get an RX pack charged, I can use the B6 to get one pack done quickly. I mostly use the B6 to charge my small electric flight packs as well.

SkyRC make the real thing (IMAX B6)

Any club will have a bunch of members who have a very similar unit to the B6 - which means if you get stuck with it, its easy to find local help. Or, most folks on here will have one. That said, they are easy to use.

* nothing more than a resistor picked to get 80mA when everything is connected and charging.

Edited by Nigel R

Thanks for the replies,  sadly some of the comments re LiPo  and reliable switches are out of my experience range.    In the good old days ( old git )   I used to have a SB Services box that you set number of cells  , voltage  , amps and then pressed one button and walked away. It discharged and then charged  to the perfect levels .   

Will the  Imax mentioned do that and charge 12v ?   I thought it was  a DC only unit, or do they supply wall adaptor for it. 

1 hour ago, KenC said:

Thanks for the replies,  sadly some of the comments re LiPo  and reliable switches are out of my experience range.    In the good old days ( old git )   I used to have a SB Services box that you set number of cells  , voltage  , amps and then pressed one button and walked away. It discharged and then charged  to the perfect levels .   

All the smart chargers will do this and give you a reading of how much they've taken out and put back in, very useful for checking the usable capacity of you batteries, plus you can see the voltage dip of the batteries under load.

Most of the mains powered chargers will also accept a 12v (or higher input), I've hooked a 16.8v lipo to mine and used it to charge our mower battery at the field after the winter lay off. It also has a 12v output for running some hobby power tools and a USB power socket which is great for charging my handwarmer, Tx, workshop bluetooth speaker etc.

1 hour ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

USB power socket which is great for charging my handwarmer, Tx, workshop bluetooth speaker etc.

Oh this is getting like carp fishing now , you will soon have your TV with movies between flights.   

• Haha 1

The other problem with fakes is they tend to be quite optimistically rated. You might find, for instance, it'll work forever and a day at half its rated maximum current, and only once or twice at its full rated current.

Two key expensive components in chargers are the power supply module and the output FETs, both obvious targets for a copyist to cheap out on. YMMV.

Other ways to cheap out on... the SkyRC charger has a built in cooling fan. Copycat efforts often do not. Which one will last the longest..?

(I should add, I hot glued a CPU fan to my copycat charger - crude, but effective)

Edited by Nigel R