Glues for Depron/ Diall EPS

Anyone got suggestions of glues that they are using on Depron/ Diall EPS sheets/ components.  Other than POR and hot glue, which I use most of the time presently.   I've tried 3M spray, and aliphatic glue.  I tried gluing EPS samples with 3M- the parts just pulled apart, leaving a  film of glue on one of the sheets.  The aliphatic (which is my go-to glue on balsa) just didn't seem to set, even after 48 hours.

I'd appreciate anyone's experience, including any options for succesful additinal glues.

Thanks for any input.

I also use UHU POR but it never goes really hard so sanding a glued joint can be a bit of a problem.

I have discovered Technicqll in yellow and white tubes.

Technicqll.JPG.9cd574e0091cc53dc96398ca7f79e3a8.JPG

I behaves just like POR except after a few days it dries hard so can then be sanded.

Made in Poland? it is one of a range of glues they supply. Only the one with yellow on the tube is truly polystyrene foam safe. It comes with a long narrow nozzle

I have bought it here from Ebay.

Tosh - one of my clubmates builds extensively in Depron and has noticed that some of the -not-proper-depron - seems to have a release agent on it, which should be washed off prior to gluing. Might that have been your problem with the those adhesives? Might be worth a small test.

Just tried the 3M spray and aliphatic on the Diall stuff, after sanding the surfaces  (haven't tried washing yet!).

Tha overnight results after a light sanding were very acceptable- I pulled away the EPS rather than the glued surfaces.  So I'm sure that they would be suitable for gluing larger areas, rather than POR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tosh McCaber said:

So I'm sure that they would be suitable for gluing larger areas, rather than POR

POR can be used quite easily on large areas, such as 2 sheets of Depron stuck together or ply/balsa fuse doublers on Depron. The trick is to apply it very sparingly, I have a tin of the stuff and put it on with a spatula then, using a credit card (or similar) spread it out. It actually soaks into the Depron to the extent that you don’t think there’s any on there but do this to both surfaces, leave it for 10 - 15 mins then bring the surfaces together, remembering that you only get one chance! The result is an incredibly strong joint that, because of the small amount of glue used can be sanded.

• Like 3

Hi Tosh, for a larger area like the top sheet of a kf wing, I've used double sided sticky tape, with a thin bead of glue around the edges and weighted down overnight. I've also used this method to fix balsa sheet to a 45" foam wing.

The B&Q 6mm floormate I use glues well with Gorilla wood glue, not sure if it is aliphatic.

Although most advise against its use, £ shop UHU works ok if you spread it thin quickly, the solvent flashes off before much damage is done. Try it on some scrap bits first.

Ron

• Like 1

The double sided tape idea is interesting. I think I have somewhere, courtesy of a long abandoned hot wire cut polystyrene project a roll of 600mm wide double sided tape adhesive, but without the tape. It was marketed under the trade name Gudy-O, chiefly for photo and display board mounting and it was excellent for joining together hotwire cut polystyrene fuselage components. The adhesive was on a waxy carrier paper, which was peeled away before bringing the two work pieces together, as a contact adhesive. I bet it would work well with depron.

https://www.cadservices.co.uk/papers-films-neschen-media-gudy-media/neschen-gudy-802-mount-film-24in-610mm-10m-p-8885.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAx6ugBhCcARIsAGNmMbgeEUFQ15MsP1X1AhhTxJEPQWFvejxZUFZ3Z0HqTSQwwDtehQrAtbQaAkfIEALw_wcB

• Like 1