First taste of the sky

toto

Yes indeed Dale, may I say that's a perfect answer to what on the face of it is apparently an impossible question. I have to admit I was also beginning to think along the same lines but I couldn't think of any situation where I would want to pull the throttle lead out of the rx. Also could I have done this at least four times without somebody else noticing either??  It seems to me that just this simple point is seriously questionable too.

I think if Toto does prove beyond any shadow of doubt that there is no 5 volt supply from the ESC and the others are exactly the same then Overlander should at least be advised of this problem. Or, of course, that being the case, they may already have an inkling anyway.

Really like the ‘then you are the only person in the history of RC flying that this has happened to.’ bit; Toto’s claim to fame perhaps; however, should it transpire that if this particular ESC version is prone to failure for whatever reason then maybe someone in a dark corner of a model flying field faraway is doing their level best to play catch up...

I feel we are close to getting an answer….. or more likely some further interesting questions….. hopefully…..

PB

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

I've been unable to keep up with the recent postings as I am " contract hunting " but I think some are leaning towards the issue being with the ESC. 

I am doubting this myself and reiterate the need to reserve judgement for now as I eventually get around to doing a thorough investigation. I truly believe there is something else at play here and don't want to go " manufacturer bashing ". There are so many others who have had no issue with these products and for me to be the 1 million to 1 shot doesn't make a lot of sense.

I will get to the bottom of it ( probably with some guidance from others ) and will have the results posted on the forum. I will be delighted if I can apportion the fault to something that I have done wrong or a wider issue with some other piece of kit. I don't mind looking like a prat .... all part of the journey.

Cheers

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 2

Toto,

Firstly switch on your transmitter, then disconnect the speed controller from the receiver.

Connect a 4 or 5 cell Nimh battery to the battery port taking care to see that the polarity is correct.

Then operate the elevator and rudder sticks on your transmitter. If they move normally, we can usually deduce that the fault lies elsewhere but just to be certain, fit a spare servo to the ESC port. If that moves normally it suggests that there's nothing wrong with the receiver so you can discount this link in the chain.

• Like 3

Thanks David ..... seems simple enough. 

As I said , it maybe a day or two before I get to the shed but I will carry this out and provide photos and a running commentary of what I do.

Many thanks

Toto

Ps .... if I can get to it earlier, I will.

Toto

• Like 1

Hi Toto,

Just so that I can reiterate a little here as well, you now have four ESCs which you cannot use because there is no 5 volt supply on the throttle lead. If this statement is correct then I think in the first instance I would have to at least consider these items to be well in front to be the potential problem; and more specifically the BEC because this is what supplies the 5 volts.

This is what I might do to establish the exact conditions in these circumstances:

Firstly I’d find a flight pack with some charge in it together with an ESC that I know to be good to go. Then any receiver that's just handy. I’d plug the throttle lead into the receiver, any channel, and a red flashing LED will appear. That's my benchmark indicating that I've got power okay. I’d then disconnect that lot and just swap it for my faulty ESC. Now I will either have a flashing LED or not. In the case of it flashing then I’d contemplate that I've got a problem that's currently undiagnosed; and unexpected to boot..  In the case of it not flashing then I would definitely know that there is every chance that the regulator/BEC was certainly blown. Now I’d disconnect that lot and reconnect the original back again to prove everything is still good. Lastly I’d find the other three miscreants and try those in exactly the same way.

I certainly don’t  think this is in any way “manufacturer bashing” or indeed anything that you are doing wrong; there’s not really much in the way of a lot of other kit that you can point the finger at either. But I think you would have to agree that from the general tone of some of the recent posts this is certainly a very very unusual set of circumstances…….

You may well be surprised how little time this actually takes to do if you decide to try it and I’d like to wish you all the very best of good luck with whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you will soon be able to tell us exactly what is going on.

Just my take on this problem.

PB

Well .....

Literally just in the door from walking Lulu. Beautiful day but a bit overcast ..... optimism built up for a bit flying tomorrow. No sooner was I in the door ..... virtually seconds..... and down it came. Torrential. ..... that's what optimism does for you. ..... :classic_biggrin:

Might get into the shed tomorrow and start the Domino fault finding. 

Toto

• Sad 1

I got an email from my mentor saying the weather may be OK but he can't make it down until mid afternoon. On that basis, it's not really worth the drive for a couple of hours max.

I'll leave it until nest weekend.

Toto

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, toto said:

I got an email from my mentor saying the weather may be OK but he can't make it down until mid afternoon. On that basis, it's not really worth the drive for a couple of hours max.

I'll leave it until nest weekend.

Toto

Isnt there anyone else there that could buddy with you, seems a shame to waste a rare nice day.

11 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Learner,

Nine times out of ten, Weare the only ones at the field. I don't know if it's just the time of year but the club is not always very well attended.

Toto

Lovely civilian aircraft the Cherokee flying earlier today at the club.  

Edited by aidan mcatamney
  • Like 1

Another great flight Aidan.

Taking off towards the camera crew as well. He must have been sweating a bit. :classic_biggrin:

Thanks for posting up as always.

Toto 

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

Many thanks for your kind comments Toto.  I bought that plane almost 15 years ago and it is built solid.  Sadly, these planes from the same company are now made in China .  Not near the same  quality as when they were manufactured in the USA.  But we can say that about a lot of products that now come from China.   Its always been a nice smooth flying aircraft eversince the day I bought it. The only change I made in recent times was to replace the ASP 61 with a Saito 62.  Much more power if I need it to get me out of trouble if the case may be.  Young Mathew always does a good job with the camera and is always confident when I am flying towards him.  Others though may need bicycle clips on 😂 

• Haha 1

Another great video Aidan. 

A lovely flying ,odel with a great raspy sounding engine. Nice to watch the large sweeping turns and a well behaved model command the sky.

The face of slemish mountain reminds me of out Arthur Seat in a way. Nice view indeed.

Cheers

Toto

• Thanks 1

Very nice model and equally impressive flight. 

My kind of flying .... leisurely, relaxing airmile munching flying. Nothing too stressful by way of aerobatics and a pleasure to watch.

Also a very nice recording captured by the headcam..... what are you using for the recording ...... I may invest in something similar.

Toto

• Like 1

Toto, many thanks for your kind comments.   It's always a pleasant change to bring out an electric plane to the field and the Meridian is a nice relaxing plane to navigate.  I use my 14 year old camcorder to film, but it is heavy, so when a cameraman is unavailable to video for me I have to improvise by using the leather strap of my trousers and some foam to hold the camera steady on top of my head no joking 😂.  But you won't have to go to those extremes as you can buy a nice lightweight go pro action camera and a purpose made head strap where your go pro camera attaches neatly to the front of it.  You can also buy a baseball cap with the go pro adapter attached to the front of the cap , so it's just a matter of clicking your go pro camera onto it.  Great technology available now Toto and HD picture quality is fabulous.   When I was a young boy growing up, my late father bought a super 8 cine camera which was the bee knees in 1969.  He also owned a film projector and over the next few years captured a lot of footage of our family and then showed it to us on the projection screen.  Video cameras then came along and the cine camera became obsolete.  I still have both in my possession.  They are not worth anything but more of sentimental value .  The picture quality was good for its time but wouldn't come close to what's on offer today.   Have a look at the go pro cameras and the head gear and do a bit of research and read customer reviews and hear what people have to say before buying a specific model.  That's what I always do when I'm buying anything of value.  You won't go wrong with a go pro.  

• Like 1

Hi David,

Simple answer ..... no. 

Longer answer ........ I have not looked at the model since the last ESC blew. I have had to concentrate my time on the job hunting front as I am currently out of contract. However ....... I picked up a new contract only late yesterday afternoon so after I get the T's and C's sorted for that over the next day or so, I can get back on the case. 

I shouldn't be starting my new contract ... In Sellafield , Cumbria until later next week which gives me a couple of days of free time without the " job search " worry.

I will be posting up my " findings " as they unfold in the shed.

Toto

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toto said:

Hi David,

Simple answer ..... no. 

Longer answer ........ I have not looked at the model since the last ESC blew. I have had to concentrate my time on the job hunting front as I am currently out of contract. However ....... I picked up a new contract only late yesterday afternoon so after I get the T's and C's sorted for that over the next day or so, I can get back on the case. 

I shouldn't be starting my new contract ... In Sellafield , Cumbria until later next week which gives me a couple of days of free time without the " job search " worry.

I will be posting up my " findings " as they unfold in the shed.

Toto

Good luck with the new job.

Bas

• Like 3