Brass tube size to slide over 7swg piano wire

I want to use brass tube over a 7swg axle to fit wheels with a split cotter on my Fokker D.Vlll build.  I have some 3/16" outside dia which is marginally too small (about 0.2mm!). I also have some 6mm which is sloppy but the solder might fill the gap.  What is the easily available option.

I tear my hair out that we're still using Victorian measurement systems like swg, and Imperial units. Life would be so much easier if metric was universal.

The bigger problem is that suppliers insist on stocking rod and tube which is a non (or ill)-fitting mish-mash of both systems!

What about soldering on the mm tube as a stub axle, then using the next size up for the rotating part with the cotter, etc?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike T said:

The bigger problem is that suppliers insist on stocking rod and tube which is a non (or ill)-fitting mish-mash of both systems!

Agreed! If anyone knows of a supplier who lists wire and tubing on a ‘this slides inside that’ basis, Please do share!

Trevor

• 3 months later...

For those that don’t know, you can type in mathematical or conversion questions in google and on most occasions it will answer them directly.

for example if you type in ‘7 SWG diameter in mm’ it will come back with ‘7 Swg = 0.176” / 4.470mm’

The distinction here is that it comes back with an answer rather than just pointing you are websites that might have the answer to search through.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 8 months later...

Hi

as about to ask the same.  I have 12 SWG piano wire (2.64 mm measured with calipers) and I need brass tube thats a sliding fit.  The nearest K&S is just too small or just too big.

Mike

Part of this issue is that K & S which most places sell is American hence the weird sizes. In the old days when cars had chrome tube aerials that was always a good source of tube that would slide within each other. Also for making cutters to cut perfectly round holes in balsa.

I've just found this place which does an extensive range of small tube.

https://www.steelexpress.co.uk/stainless-steel/fractional-size-stainless-tubing.html