Model storage space

toto

Advert

Well,

No flying today after all. Tomorrow is still on though so bring it on ..... can't wait.

meanwhile .... although I was accosted for some domestic duties, they finished at a reasonable time which meant ....... shed time.

So .... I have a few small wall mounted storage bins that have to be moved to enable me to get to start .... the real gig ....😁 of mounting the dexion straps and brackets so let the work commence.

and it did .....

Here are the culprits .....

P1100798.thumb.JPG.925429b3a1362679d4fa2ff6137d80fb.JPG

Hiding behind the boxes ....

P1100799.thumb.JPG.2f528f2e61d12e7feef8eee88b36b25d.JPG

but ..... no longer ....

P1100803.thumb.JPG.15108b28247dea338948c7ddf7e1846c.JPG

gone ......

P1100804.thumb.JPG.109979670bcf9f65095ac68147e1e815.JPG

Like a big fat " gone thing "

P1100800.thumb.JPG.d88115d12b67784c1480206eac9e385c.JPG

But not completely ..... at least not for now .....

P1100801.thumb.JPG.a62d08dda992cf4543ff1b83365eaa0b.JPG

I'm usually far to quick to throw things out and then realising some time later that I really could have used them again so I just looked for some available space until I decide if they need to stay.

So ..... thats it so far. the next task is to move the model boxes around ...... again ...... to give me some space to start work installing the Dexion on the storage wall. I should get that started later tonight after something to eat .... and ..... If my good friend " John Smith " doesn't come calling. 😄

I'm looking forward to getting my existing assembled models stored more appropriately up out of harms way ..... in theory .

It will also clear much needed working space to let me start assembling something else.

thats me for now

toto 

OK ...... good afternoon all.

Managed to get myself in gear after a disappointing day with no flying time. Received a call this morning around ten o'clock with the dreaded ..... but expected news. Visability at the site had been reduced to that of as being about as clear as pea soup.

So after a little time feeling sorry for myself .... I thought .... lets turn a negative into a positive and make good use of the time.

here is what was achieved in the shed today.

P1100806.thumb.JPG.c5a7b69795c112611f34f22ca28670e3.JPG

started out with the above blank canvass and going by the fact that I had done a little pre-measurement before, I worked out that I had circa 2.5m of full height wall to play around with which gave me 6 vertical supports at roughly 415mm centres. 

P1100807.thumb.JPG.0dce084a2d0cf5fecac9605dee62cdf5.JPG 

A bit like the above.

I already had the main centre timber strap from previous and which had been used to clip my electrical wiring for both a 30amp ring main and a 15amp lighting circuit which has to stay. I ain't stripping that out.

so .........

P1100809.thumb.JPG.3162c21dbc1806d7e15862b2f6f7f235.JPG

I added some more supports / packers to provide fixings for the Dexion uprights.

Then ..... added a few of the brackets which you will see have been given foam insulation padding to try and prevent damage to the models.

P1100815.thumb.JPG.7beb8409bd6d10449307f0d267bb48bb.JPG 

I have more brackets and insulation but need to keep the space below for box storage. As the models are built, the boxes and get disposed off and the model can take its place on the racks etc. 

P1100816.thumb.JPG.095013603aad74e80c05cec703502e91.JPG

and here we are with a bit of order. there are model boxes stored under one of my work benches as well but they are not getting in the way there. 

P1100817.thumb.JPG.fa57f28088702741ad6b54632c5fe5cc.JPG

much more useable space .......

P1100818.thumb.JPG.f011376fc374b98b1f7bbab974a7cb25.JPG

and another ......

P1100819.thumb.JPG.e606c6936b57327d714444c98f5f7307.JPG

not a great angle for the camera to show any real meaningful area but believe me ..... this frees up great working space and more importantly ... safer storage space, speaking of which ..... I will be using up every available neuk and cranny. the next sort of major area to bring back into decent use is the area as shown below .....

P1100820.thumb.JPG.e6a5cadf7bd18ef95251489504688beb.JPG

again ..... not a great picture and doesn't show the space to its full potential but there must be an area of about two and a half cubic metres that can be turned over into reasonable hanging space ..... so there we have it for now.

I think I will try and develop the above space and then once done, most of the re-organising of existing shed space is more or less complete apart from maybe a few odds and ends as I find out what works best and what needs slight alterations as I go.

after that ....... my next victim will be laid out for assembly.

Pretty mundane stuff but most of us have such a space in some form and I personally find it interesting to see what others do in order to make things work. 

hope you have enjoyed my slavering so far.

cheers

toto

• Like 1

some call it a spirit level ..... Now ..... there is not even the hint of a bottle of brandy anywhere in sight and I sure hope the shed is not haunted. ..... as far as level goes ....... I'll need to look that one up ..... excuse my ignorance of all this technical.

I don't want you losing sleep tonight ..... so rest assured that my wife does not let me anywhere near anything dangerous ...... well ..... except for her steak pie and even that took a bit of negotiation, a bit of a deal and a fight.

progress though init.

cheers

toto

Consider it done. A very valid point and will hopefully avoid a few ouches. 

Possibly a few tweaks here and there still to go. The dexion itself could maybe see another couple of additional uprights for flexibility to satisfy varying model sizes as they are built. It's purely a start.

I have a few things to do with the Carbon Cub and the Beaver in terms of further settings to be adjusted in the transmitter in order to have them operationally optimised for training purposes but after that, the next major tasks will be the remaining storage space and a further model assembly. 

The organised space is a breath of fresh air freeing up so much working space. Delighted with the outcome and raring to go.

Toto

Edited by toto

The flexibility is the best reason for using the twin slot framework. I change mine regularly, adding new brackets and rearranging them to fit different models. My uprights are on 600mm centres, mainly because that's what the wing racks are at, so that they fit nicely into the studs in the main workshop walls.

Hi Leccyflyer,

I could automatically appreciate the flexibility of using the twin slot Dexion as well. Again, given the variance in model sizes and their balance points etc, I appreciate that these brackets could be adjusted at a moments notice without any real fuss. 

I calculated the requirement at 6 vertical lengths but wish I had ordered a couple of spares as I can already see scenarios where they would be handy. 

My shed walls have an internal lining or at least 12mm ply ....It may actually be 18mm. I cant remember as it was built around ten years ago if not more. I can achieve some pretty good wall loading with this.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am considering replacing my two existing sheds with a better quality " supershed " :classic_biggrin: possibly pupose made cabin type. That's for another time though.

I'm pleased with where I am at the moment but could really do with a bit more decent bench space. I have a reasonable amount of tools and power tools. I have a few Proxxon tools which are ideal for use in working with all sorts of kits etc. I dont like the fact that I have to store them away when not in use though as I think it can make you lazy at the thought of having to clear the benches in order to set up for use.

Anyway, as I said, that's probably one for the next major overhaul ..... and for when my pocket recovers a bit.

Cheers

Toto

Edited by toto