Flight Simulators

KenC

There seem to have been numerous updates over  the years since I used these. Real Flight Evolution on Steam is around £120 , and I cant make out on first glimpse if this an annual licence update or a one time purchase, or how they get the controller to you . 

So my question to the experienced is, for fixed wing flying  on a modern powerful computer, what is the best level of flight sim to go for. Do they allow you to use your own Spektrum DX transmitter  to control the sim or do you need a dummy unit to play. 

Advert

This is going to come down to "how valuable is a training tool to you, or, how much do you want to pay for supported software?"

Phoenix is no longer officially supported, and people have had problems making it work on more recent computers; I assume this is something to do with software architecture. Realflight IS supported and updated. Realflight Trainer on Steam is only £43 and I suspect using the 22-in-1 dongles from Amazon/Ebay will work. I have RF8 from Steam and use one of those dongles and it work fine for my purposes. I hevent bothered upgrading.

read this thread to witness one man's horror show regarding Phoenix: 

I agree with Grumpy; for £10-20, it's got to be worth a shot.

If you can't get Phoenix to work, try PicaSim; it’s an excellent free download which seems less fussy about hardware. My personal view is not to worry so much about the realism of the graphics; it’s the flight model that’s important. PicaSim's flight models are IMHO very good indeed.

https://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim/versions.html

If you buy a cheap dongle, take care with the leads; their quality is poor and they shed pins easily.

Have downloaded Phoenix and updated to 6 , only thing to sort now is the controller / dongle . There is an £8  or so one that has a Spektrum style jack to jack connector and a USB  stick that claims to work with Phoenix 5 ..... so one jack into my DX8 and the other end ???????

Lima Hotel Foxtrot , I noticed the Real Flight Trainer for £ 40 ish , but feel they miss a trick by not letting you have a trial mode to see how it looks , last time I put money into anything  using faith was a church and that did me no good !  lol 

I think I just answered my own question ...... dont tell me that the chord you tug on at one end and plug into the USB at the computer is not going to crack that circuit board and case quickly .  If I am seeing this right then a large tube of shrink wrap to reinforce the USB might be in order.

Edited by KenC

I have the Phoenix and have found it to be a good sim. I got my brother a copy but he required a dongle so got one from e bay, didnt work and no success with another we tried. So for me its the dongle that's the issue.  (I have the original but you cannot get into it as its surrounded by a black tar like substance)

OK perhaps then as I see various dongles on Fleabay , perhaps there is one that works where others are a problem. Could someone that has had success with a USB dongle , Phoenix and Spektrum transmitter , please post a phone pic of their dongle ( only the usb one please to save issues ) .

32 minutes ago, KenC said:

OK perhaps then as I see various dongles on Fleabay , perhaps there is one that works where others are a problem. Could someone that has had success with a USB dongle , Phoenix and Spektrum transmitter , please post a phone pic of their dongle ( only the usb one please to save issues ) .

Not to muddy the water Ken, but my set up of Windows 10, Spektrum Tx and Phoenix runs simply by Jack plug to USB cable

Some quotes here

Edited by Denis Watkins

1 hour ago, KenC said:

I downloaded Phoenix (from the site I just gave) to my Win 10 gaming PC a month or so ago- works perfect! Someone on RCME gave me the link to the dongle. I'll post the link in a mo.

Here:

https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/accessories/usb-flight-simulator-adapter-cable-phoenix-aerofly-fms for the dongle and lead to connect to your Tx.

Phoenix Simulator Downloads – RC-Thoughts.com- to download Phoenix 

https://youtu.be/X-hPbfW_Ktw?t=537 to get an idea of what flying with Phoenix is like

Edited January 17 by paul devereux

Edited by paul devereux
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KenC said:

image.png.1ed4657d9785ffeb444acdb74e5d3d80.pngLike this one ????

I once bought that, it didn't work.  I recommend the flyingtech link in my preceeding post:

Here:

Edited by paul devereux

First class Paul, you saved me buying a poor choice on EBay, I will get the one you suggest . When I commented on the two ends I knew of the trainer connection but had not understood that the other end goes into the plastic USB thing.   Will have to take care not to pressure it as it looks a bit flimsy. 

Your help has been fantastic, thanks .

Not trying to teach mothers to suck eggs, but I found this worked to get by the issues of dongle etc...

Go to your 😄 drive and look for folder Program Files (86x), the look for the folder  Phoenix  and open it. Inside here is a file called launcher.exe   click on this an you will be offered the chance to select  the joystick used and then a button to start the program from there and not the usual place...... this works for me and any Microsoft compatible control works. 

On 03/06/2023 at 15:30, KenC said:

There seem to have been numerous updates over  the years since I used these. Real Flight Evolution on Steam is around £120 , and I cant make out on first glimpse if this an annual licence update or a one time purchase, or how they get the controller to you . 

So my question to the experienced is, for fixed wing flying  on a modern powerful computer, what is the best level of flight sim to go for. Do they allow you to use your own Spektrum DX transmitter  to control the sim or do you need a dummy unit to play. 

Real Flight Evolution is a one off purchase - but (and I need to be fact checked on this) you might have to run it on Steam these days

• One advantage is that you get the next major update for free - for example, I bought 9.5S and then when evolution came out I was upgraded for free.  In fact if you can find a new copy of 9.5S for sale that might be a cheaper way of getting Evolution
  • A disadvantage is that once on Steam you can't sell it on if you have grown tired of it
  • It's on Steam, that may be an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you view Steam

It's pretty good for aircraft, not very good for helicopters in my opinion

You can use any transmitter using a dongle via the trainer socket - generic dongles cost around £10

Some modern transmitters allow you to connect direct to the computer using a USB lead - in which case you don't need a dongle.