My Next Assembly ..... The Arising Star.

toto

Hi Ron,

I have a couple of 2 way fillers ..... the kind that fit to the side of your fuselage and are situated between the carb and the tank. when you plug your nozzle in ( on your independent fuel supply ) it shuts off the route from the carb and fills the tank. once you unplug it ...... it make the circuit from tank to carb again.

however .... I was keeping them for models that have cowls and to help avoid removing cowls to get access to the filler tube.

they are about £27.00 each .... so an open engine bay doesn't justify one in my mind.

nice devices though and keeps thing less messy when refueling.

toto

• Like 4

Advert

I never said rich ..... lets get that clear. .... this has cost me a fortune ..... admittedly .... all at my own behest, but I am enjoying every moment of it .... even the lows.

bring on the sky.

toto 

Edited by toto
  • Haha 1

Yes, as Hugh Green once said The sky's the limit and even  though you are not rich Toto, we will travel this long and winding road together in the hope that Frankenstar won't let the pilot down and that the  engine will be firing in all cylinders and that the receiver will be receiving all signals and that happy landings will be the order of the day.   This is not a quote from William Shakespeare by the way.  

• Haha 1

Hopefully this weekend will reveal all. 

A bit of testing etc followed by a couple of flights that I will judge initially on the ability to maintain the model in the air with no dramas. The quality of the flying until the reliability is achieved is secondary ..... just uninterrupted time in the air proving the air worthiness of the model will satisfy me ...... then ...... my ability can start to take the heat.

Sounds fair to me. And as hughie green also used to say ........" and I mean that most sincerely folks " 

Toto

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, toto said:

Hopefully this weekend will reveal all. 

A bit of testing etc followed by a couple of flights that I will judge initially on the ability to maintain the model in the air with no dramas. The quality of the flying until the reliability is achieved is secondary ..... just uninterrupted time in the air proving the air worthiness of the model will satisfy me ...... then ...... my ability can start to take the heat.

Sounds fair to me. And as hughie green also used to say ........" and I mean that most sincerely folks " 

Toto

Ah Toto, a man after my own heart. Who will ever forget the clapometer each and every Monday night on Opportunity Knocks when uncle Hughie Green would interview the sponsor of each contestant before they performed live in front of a studio audience.   Whether it was wee Lena Zavaroni from the Isle of Bute singing "Ma he's making eyes at me"  Bobby Crush tickling the ivories on his grand piano playing the latest hits.  Maybe it was Mary Hopkins singing " Those were the days my friend"  The two long distance lorry drivers  Milican and Nesbit singing "Vios Condios"  The great poet Pam Ayres entertaining us with her comic poetry,  or the muscle man flexing his muscles to some lively music.  This was the golden age of light entertainment Toto and thank goodness we were alive to witness and enjoy it all brought to our screens courtesy of Thames Television and Mr Hughie Green.  

Yes ... and we are showing our age now. .... probably the forerunner to new faces. ..... Mickey most .... Marty Caine ( RIP ).

A load of well known entertainers rose from these platforms ....... les dawson, Jim Bowen, stan boardman to name a few.

Ahhhhhh the good old days ......:classic_biggrin:

Toto

8 minutes ago, toto said:

Yes ... and we are showing our age now. .... probably the forerunner to new faces. ..... Mickey most .... Marty Caine ( RIP ).

A load of well known entertainers rose from these platforms ....... les dawson, Jim Bowen, stan boardman to name a few.

Ahhhhhh the good old days ......:classic_biggrin:

Toto

I turned 60 two weeks ago Toto and growing up in my mother and fathers confectionery shop I could never have been happier as a child.  Just imagine, living in a sweetie shop surrounded by sweeties.  From curly wurlies to black Jack's, spangles , love hearts and refreshers, the list is endless.  New Faces was another favourite of mine. Every Saturday early evening with compere Derek Hobson , and judges, Tony Hatch,Mickey Most and Ted Rea.  That was mid 1970s and I will always remember the night Showwaddywaddy won top prize.  Later in the 1980s the show was brought back and had the late Marti Cane at the helm along with three judges sitting high up in the balcony.  Who could ever forget the devious and critical Nina Myscov.  The woman we all loved to hate 😂  Those were the days for sure and not forgetting the return of Opportunity Knocks in the 1980s when the great Bob Monkhouse was master of ceremonies.  Yes the years go on Toto and Neil Reid who won Opportunity Knocks in the 70s singing "Mother of Mine "and a fellow Scotsman is still alive and well and still singing in his local venues.  But what has this all got to do with flying model airplanes you may ask?   Not a lot.  But it makes for one hell of an interesting conversation 😂 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, toto said:

they are about £27.00 each .... so an open engine bay doesn't justify one in my mind.

Crikey. Does it make tea as well? Some of my engines cost less than that!

Low tech solution, two holes in cowl, add rubber grommets, poke fuel tube through grommets, join the two bits of fuel tube with a short length of plastic tube... add a tie wrap around the engine side of the fuel tube to ensure unplugging the right one when filling/draining.

Even more low tech solution - don't cowl your engines!

Edited by Nigel R

17 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Not really, having a rigid length of clunk pipe is widely used, as explained elsewhere in this thread it prevents the clunk doubling back on itself and getting stuck (it’s happened to me!). In actual flight the clunk coming out of the fuel for short periods isn’t really an issue.

Interesting Ron. Is there a set length for the rigid pipe and is it the same for all types of tanks?

Steve

16 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

Is there a set length for the rigid pipe and is it the same for all types of tanks?

Not really as it depends on the size and shape of the tank, just enough to stop the clunk bending back on itself whilst still leaving flexibility for it to move all around the tank!

OK ..... taking off from where I left off last night .....

P1110707.thumb.JPG.2dd3f196dea27c4aaef7ec2ae7a22c74.JPG

new floor in the front of the fuselage which after setting from last night ..... was sanded down tonight to get ready for covering.

P1110708.thumb.JPG.faf0632ac8a4cb63faee9cc89eb41048.JPG

I have managed to get rid of a bit more of the two main wrinkles to the right of the picture ...

P1110711.thumb.JPG.fa1a58d8bda0aa55e5215081d539acfb.JPG

I took the covering further up the side of the model which covers the blue decal as cutting it too close to the edge is just inviting it to come off. I cut a diagonal on the end of the blue stripe just to finish it off rather coming to an obvious abrupt end.

P1110710.thumb.JPG.a1f46d0c50d9d848faa7e074dd6d1858.JPG

giving this ........

P1110712.thumb.JPG.4ae061b89bba0c6cc0da00b09329ada5.JPG

and this.

Nothing great and as I said previously .... the aesthetics for this model have long since been abandonded.

its purely functional.

cheers

toto 

• Like 1

I have an affection for it already ..... it may fast be becoming the ugly ducking but its my own efforts that are now going into it. I feel a bit paternal towards it now ..... 😄

Just set up the wireless buddy system between the NX8 and NX6 under the new model setting and it works a dream. Tried dual rates but not convinced I have nailed that yet .... back to both the manual and Utube for that.

All the tasks being ticked off one by one for Saturday.

quite happy.

toto

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toto said:

I have an affection for it already ..... it may fast be becoming the ugly ducking but its my own efforts that are now going into it. I feel a bit paternal towards it now ..... 😄

Just set up the wireless buddy system between the NX8 and NX6 under the new model setting and it works a dream. Tried dual rates but not convinced I have nailed that yet .... back to both the manual and Utube for that.

All the tasks being ticked off one by one for Saturday.

quite happy.

toto

You've done a great job with the Frankenstar Toto.  It will be all systems go when you get back to the flying field.   As Bruce Forsyth would say during his time in the generation game,  Nice to see you, to see you nice .  Good game Good game.  

• Haha 1