Wings and Wheels, North Weald

Advert

I can understand larger businesses like some pubs and restaurants going card only, it must be a nuisance to deal with very large amounts cash. Smaller shops and one-man-band businesses can't afford to be so choosy.

I had some electrical work done at home recently - I was surprised that they weren't bothered about being paid on the spot, but were happy to invoice me along with the neccessary certification paperwork and a request for payment by BACS. No probs.

Our local council, bless their hearts😖, have doubled many parking charges recently and no longer give the option to pay cash at the machine. Either pay by card or use a very flakey App. Was £4 for a days parking at a beach carpark that we use - now £8 and for no extra benefit to the users as the area is just as potholed as ever. Still free if on two wheels, but that concession has been removed on a few others.

Edited by Cuban8

I think one of the reasons for traders going cashless is the lack of bank branches to pay it in at, whilst most of us can make do with never actually going to a physical branch of a bank that wouldn't apply to a trader who will need somewhere to pay in the cash, for a trader cash also needs manually counting whereas electronic payments will do it for you.

There are of course plenty of self employed still happy to accept cash, and we all know why that is! 

17 minutes ago, Philip Lewis 3 said:

I think one of the reasons for traders going cashless is the lack of bank branches to pay it in at, whilst most of us can make do with never actually going to a physical branch of a bank that wouldn't apply to a trader who will need somewhere to pay in the cash, for a trader cash also needs manually counting whereas electronic payments will do it for you.

There are of course plenty of self employed still happy to accept cash, and we all know why that 

Unfortunately people not using cash are the reason for Banks closing.

There are plenty of older people who do not want/or are able to deal with the technology required to live nowadays.

I hope when the next fangled tech comes to be able to pay a bill we'll be able to understand and use it if not our generation will be screwed!

26 minutes ago, Learner said:

Unfortunately people not using cash are the reason for Banks closing.

There are plenty of older people who do not want/or are able to deal with the technology required to live nowadays.

I hope when the next fangled tech comes to be able to pay a bill we'll be able to understand and use it if not our generation will be screwed!

Even the most senior members, with only one or two exceptions  in both of my clubs, manage to pay their subs by bank transfer and thankfully cheque payments are falling away quickly as well. Although we haven't actually outlawed cash at the moment, we never mention that way of payment now as an option, and encourage people to pay direct. Seems to be working.

Most of us in our late 60s and 70s have had to deal with changing technology in the workplace, so setting up and using an on-line bank account is not exactly rocket science. I do get it for those who are somewhat older, but even then, it's surprising how many who never really encountered a PC at work before retiring, have kept up to date.

I hate to say it but, I think many who say "I don't do computers, mobile phones, and cashless" etc might just simply be being a bit lazy.

Think of the fuss that was made when self check-outs were being introduced.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Even the most senior members, with only one or two exceptions  in both of my clubs, manage to pay their subs by bank transfer and thankfully cheque payments are falling away quickly as well. Although we haven't actually outlawed cash at the moment, we never mention that way of payment now as an option, and encourage people to pay direct. Seems to be working.

Most of us in our late 60s and 70s have had to deal with changing technology in the workplace, so setting up and using an on-line bank account is not exactly rocket science. I do get it for those who are somewhat older, but even then, it's surprising how many who never really encountered a PC at work before retiring, have kept up to date.

I hate to say it but, I think many who say "I don't do computers, mobile phones, and cashless" etc might just simply be being a bit lazy.

Think of the fuss that was made when self check-outs were being introduced.

I don't think 60s/70s have too much problem but 80s/90s it gets more of an issue, so thats 20 to 30 yrs of changing technology that Ill have to get my head round (if I get there).

By the way I'm anti not lazy☺

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Learner said:

Quite a few pubs in our town are cashless.

Funnily enough the newsagent in our village has gone the other way and is cash only.  As he also sells a few feed items and milk etc it might be more difficult but he's adamant it's easier for him.

I'm happy with most modern technology at 83 and my 82 yo wife is happy to use the smart shopping system at Sainsbury's.  She's also pretty hot on Excel and is the family CFO, which means I don't get away with much 🙂.  One thing I am wary of is using anything financial on my 'phone mainly because I'm afraid of losing it (or having it stolen). 

I have read somewhere that it is actually illegal to refuse to accept cash, something to do with the bank of England promise to pay to bearer. Vendors can refuse to sell to you but not on the grounds that they not take cash. Don't forget the companies controlling the software dealing with the transaction charge about 1- 1.5 %