Petrol laser

Rich Griff

2 hours ago, richard dalgleish said:

What size prop do they turn Jon?

Would it fly an 80" Jerry Bates Hellcat, its been flying on a Zenoah 45.

Regards

I had one (GA30) fitted to my 82” ESM Hurricane swinging an 18x8W prop and it was fine.

8 hours ago, David perry 1 said:

True.  Whats it smell like?

Id still be up for a petrol laser...a piece of history if nothing else

D

I haven't used it, but I have seen one other club member with it, although it doesn't smell like petrol, it is probably just as toxic, it is no good to me as the mix is between 2% and 2.5% of oil, I use 3% in my 2 strokes and 5% in my Saito 4 strokes and using around 20 litres of the stuff it would be a bit expensive.

16 hours ago, richard dalgleish said:

Would it fly an 80" Jerry Bates Hellcat

I would go bigger. In an 80 inch Hurricane or early Spit the 180 would be fine, but a Hellcat had twice the HP of both and performance to match. Its also a bigger model even at the same span as its a chunky beast. If its around 20lbs fit a 300/310 and go with that. No they arent petrol, but you will have power to spare. 

11 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

No petrol powered engines consume a lot less, at a guess 1/3 of a methanol engine.

Its about 40-50% less for the laser glow vs laser petrol. Not insignificant, but in the grand scheme not that important when it comes to cost. 

3 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I haven't used it, but I have seen one other club member with it, although it doesn't smell like petrol, it is probably just as toxic, it is no good to me as the mix is between 2% and 2.5% of oil, I use 3% in my 2 strokes and 5% in my Saito 4 strokes and using around 20 litres of the stuff it would be a bit expensive.

It is supposed to be less toxic, by virtue of the process by which it's made, apparently. The smell is a bit similar to a white spirit and quite faint, certainly didn't get any complaints from 'er indoors when I stored my big Wot4 / NGH 2 stroke in the then spare bedroom.

You can always buy the 4 stroke (straight Aspen) and mix with synthetic 2 stroke oil to your desired %age. I did this to get a 4% mix for the NGH. Ran nicely and doesn't go 'off' with age like petrol tends to do.

Kim

• Like 1