Scale flying, what's right and what's wrong

Chris Walby

• 5 months later...

I am a bit surprised there has be no mention of the wing section used in the DVII or the Triplane and DVIIIfor that matter.

It was a thick section allowing the wings to be a cantilever with no wire bracing unlike the allied wing section which was thin and relied heavily on the wire bracing.

It was this thicker section that enabled the Fokkers to achieve a higher angle of attack before the stall occurred and a more rapid recovery when it did. Manfred von Richthofen specifically mentioned this characteristic in the fighter trials.

The remarkable thing was the allies knew all about this feature but the UK chose to retain the thin section wire braced biplane layout until the advantages of a cantilever monoplane was undisputed.

In my view it would be appropriate for a scale Fokker DVii to undertake manoeuvres beyond that which could be expected of a Camel or SE5.    

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

I am a bit surprised there has be no mention of the wing section used in the DVII or the Triplane and DVIIIfor that matter.

It was a thick section allowing the wings to be a cantilever with no wire bracing unlike the allied wing section which was thin and relied heavily on the wire bracing.

It was this thicker section that enabled the Fokkers to achieve a higher angle of attack before the stall occurred and a more rapid recovery when it did. Manfred von Richthofen specifically mentioned this characteristic in the fighter trials.

The remarkable thing was the allies knew all about this feature but the UK chose to retain the thin section wire braced biplane layout until the advantages of a cantilever monoplane was undisputed.

In my view it would be appropriate for a scale Fokker DVii to undertake manoeuvres beyond that which could be expected of a Camel or SE5.    

Peter

Difficult to compare a bomber against a fighter but the DH4 had the advantage of the RR Eagle V12 that had significantly more power than the Mercedes DIII 6 inline, 275 against 204 hp and crucially the Eagle had a higher compression ratio giving a better altitude performance.

It also appears the UK aviation fuel, supplied predominately by Shell, was of a higher quality than available in Germany allowing higher compression ratios to be safely used without detonation. Formal "octane" ratings to measure fuel detonation properties was not established until after WWI.