R/C Model World, January 2000, Free Plan

David Pentland 1

I have part 1 of the free pull out plan for the Piper Tri Pacer. I’ve spent the last couple years searching for the January 2000 issue with no luck. I am not interested in the mag, just the pull out plan. If anyone is willing to part with the plan, and ship it to Canada, please let me know. I’ll be happy to pay something for the plan and cover the postage.

TIA

Well spotted Mike  - I didn't notice that the 'small print' said  there were no plans included!

Sarik Hobbies sell the plan as Piers noted - and I see that the old Traplet Plans Construction Guide states that it is now 2 large sheets instead of the two 'broken' parts originally published.   So should be a better plan if you buy it from Sarik.    Ask them for a copy of the article when you buy.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve been checking the Magazine Exchange regularly as well as EBay. I got part one on eBay. I know Sarik has the plan but they want the equivalent of $38. Canadian + shipping. It’s way more fun to track down a missing plan. I have 2 1/4 scale kits here but I suspect the 80” one will be more manageable.

Traplet might appear to have an Australian web presence but the website is an artifact from before Traplet went into liquidation. If you visit the site a pop-up appears saying that the domain name needs registering. IE it will expire and disappear soon. Remember that Traplets plans service was continued by Sarik Hobbies as Traplet went into liquidation in 2017.

20 hours ago, David Pentland 1 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve been checking the Magazine Exchange regularly as well as EBay. I got part one on eBay. I know Sarik has the plan but they want the equivalent of $38. Canadian + shipping. It’s way more fun to track down a missing plan. I have 2 1/4 scale kits here but I suspect the 80” one will be more manageable.

Very often the Sarik plans include the build articles to which they refer.  Plus they're on much stronger, better quality paper so they may justify the extra cost - the pull-out plans are quite fragile and usually on both sides of the paper.   A better option is a pdf file if they're available so you can study the build on a PC and print-out any relevant parts.

On 05/09/2023 at 06:28, David Pentland 1 said:

I have part 1 of the free pull out plan for the Piper Tri Pacer. I’ve spent the last couple years searching for the January 2000 issue with no luck. I am not interested in the mag, just the pull out plan. If anyone is willing to part with the plan, and ship it to Canada, please let me know. I’ll be happy to pay something for the plan and cover the postage.

TIA

Hi David

You're in luck. I have the Jan 2000 RCMW magazine and, inexplicably I have two copies of the second part of the plan, Part 2 Sheet 1 and 2 -as it's double sided. I keep all my magazines, but you said you don't need the magazine. I do not have Part One of the plan here, as it would have been in a 1999 magazine and they are still in storage down in leafy Cheshire.As you already have Part One of the plan that won't be an issue - just drop me a PM with your postal address and I'll pop the plan in the post. 🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

Traplet might appear to have an Australian web presence but the website is an artifact from before Traplet went into liquidation. If you visit the site a pop-up appears saying that the domain name needs registering. IE it will expire and disappear soon. Remember that Traplets plans service was continued by Sarik Hobbies as Traplet went into liquidation in 2017.

Yes - I noticed the weirdness, but assumed that was something to do with my UK location and/or cookie/security settings!

7 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

... I'll pop the plan in the post. 🙂

idle query - does getting a plan scanned cost the same as printing?  I ask as this would seem to be an easier/cheaper way of getting it across the Atlantic.  It could also then be uploaded to Outerzone (though not in this particular instance as I know Steve (Oz.) is wary of hosting stuff that is still actively 'commercial').

Having a plan scanned and then printed might introduce some slight errors.  If it's the whole plan then it might not matter too much, but in this instance it's a half plan ( according to Traplet it was 'broken' into 2 parts for the free mag plan ) so  the proper magazine plan would probably be better than a scanned and then printed one.  

53 minutes ago, kc said:

Having a plan scanned and then printed might introduce some slight errors.  If it's the whole plan then it might not matter too much, but in this instance it's a half plan ( according to Traplet it was 'broken' into 2 parts for the free mag plan ) so  the proper magazine plan would probably be better than a scanned and then printed one.  

I doubt it, according to the number of times I have cut out a disjointed plan (too big to go on one sheet) and then tried to match up the two ends.

I can't remember one ever fitting 100%.

Most scanners tend to wander slightly towards the edge, or if they are large format slip a little.

Usually for our purposes it is within tollerance (unlike some balsa, which can vary depending on the weather).

Fortunately most of us don't work to engineering specs !

(well apart from maybe Jon  🤣)