Cleaning Aluminum

Mike Mc

Advert

Hi Mike.

An ultrasonic cleaner works very well. I use one and have very good results. However it is very important what kind of fluid you use. Some fluids will turn the aluminium grey depending on the ph and chemicals. I have tried a few fluids and have found these two fluids to work in cleaning the aluminium without turning it grey.

Ultrasonic Cleaner Solution for Carburetors and Engine Parts, Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution and Washing Compound for Ultrasonic and Immersion Washers - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09KK6KR3Z?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution Shooter's Choice - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NVOPHKU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mind you, I'm in Canada and I'm sure there are many other fluids that is available in the UK that would work.
If you speak to a company that specializes in providing ultrasonic cleaning fluid, they would know which fluids work best for aluminium. That's how I found about about some fluids greying aluminium parts.

cheers

Fred

I bead blast ali and cases look like new . Vapour blasting ( wet bead blasting) is good but a wet cabinet is quite an investment  and costly. Any form of blasting should be followed by a quick clean in the ultrasonic cleaner  using a mild detergent to remove any glass beads that get past pluged threads. DONT uder any circumstances allow parts to be sand or crushed glass blasted as it gives a very coarse finish and can ruin parts . PM sent

Yes the Badger should work fine but using fine grade glass beads neede for our small engines will make far more mess / dust that the grit you use and cover everything in white dust ! You may be able to buy small quantity of glass beads but ive only seen or looked for them in 5K bags. Bead blasting wont remove any pitting of aluminium just blasts out the corrosion. So any inperfection need sorting before blasting if possible. 

Have been using the slow cooker (crock pot) with  concentrated Ethylene Glycol antifreeze for a couple of years now with great success, it does not send the alloy parts dark grey and of course is non abrasive.

Just an old toothbrush to help move the crud and a good rinse and dry afterwards.

Have attached  before and after photos of a Saito silencer I did last week..... 7 hours in the pot and good scrub, less burnt on parts will clean in two or three hours, such as heads and crankcases.

20231001_153930.jpg

20231003_192928.jpg

Edited by Martin Arnold 1
spelling
  • Like 4

On 26/09/2023 at 15:25, Fred Lew said:

Hi Mike.

An ultrasonic cleaner works very well. I use one and have very good results. However it is very important what kind of fluid you use. Some fluids will turn the aluminium grey depending on the ph and chemicals. I have tried a few fluids and have found these two fluids to work in cleaning the aluminium without turning it grey.

Ultrasonic Cleaner Solution for Carburetors and Engine Parts, Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution and Washing Compound for Ultrasonic and Immersion Washers - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09KK6KR3Z?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution Shooter's Choice - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NVOPHKU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mind you, I'm in Canada and I'm sure there are many other fluids that is available in the UK that would work.
If you speak to a company that specializes in providing ultrasonic cleaning fluid, they would know which fluids work best for aluminium. That's how I found about about some fluids greying aluminium parts.

cheers

Fred

After much experimenting this works best for me. Much quicker than a crock pot with excellent results.