Creality Ender 3 'Silent Board' queries

Allan Bennett

I've just replaced the v4.2.2 motherboard in my Creality Ender 3 printer with v4.2.7 'Silent' board.  It's impressively quieter than before, and all appears to be working well except for bed levelling and Z-axis offset.

With v4.2.2 I would select 'Level Bed' and it would go around probing 16 points on the bed, and that was it.  When printing I could see that it was taking account of the data the probe had gathered because the Z-axis motor would move back and forth ever so slightly during each print layer to compensate for out-of-levelness.  With v4.2.7 when I select 'Level Bed' it goes around probing 9 points then, after it's finished the menu screen shows 'Bed Levelling:  Off' which I then change to 'On' and then save the settings (the menu option to switch levelling on or off is not available until after the probing has finished).  When I then do a print the Z-axis motor is stationary during each layer even though I can see the first layer varies in thickness.

The other difference from v4.2.2 which I can't fathom is setting the Z-axis Offset:  With v4.2.7 when I select that option it allows me to change the offset, but it doesn't move the nozzle up and down to let me check the clearance with a piece of paper between it and the bed, as I used to do.

The firmware is "Marlin 2.0.6 June 11 2021 Ender-3".  In the Creality downloads site it's labelled as "Ender-3_HW-V4.2.7_SW-V2.0.6_BLTouch"  There's also another v4.2.7 firmware labelled "Ender-3_HW4.2.7_SW2.0.9.03_SpriteExt_H300", is this likely to work with my BLTouch?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Do you include the bed level and "store" in your Gcode in the slicer software?  That's where I tend to keep it, which means I don't have to click on it manually on the printer hardware - each print is preceded by a full bed level.

I just pullled this from my Cura profile for my Ender 5 Plus;

M420 S1 Z2 ;Enable ABL using saved Mesh and Fade Height

Edited by Andy Meade

One other thing with your Z height - I seem to remember that the offset goes straight in to the settings but doesn't move the axis in case of collision.  

Check your readout on the printer - that should change once you applied your offset.  If you then need to check zero, go to move axis and jog it down - the offset should have stuck.

Thanks for the replies.  I didn't know about being able to store bed levelling etc. in the slicer.  I use PrusaSlicer, but that's a good tip.

But that's not the issue at the moment:  With the v4.2.2 motherboard (which is back in my Ender at the moment so I can continue printing), when I do a print after doing the automatic levelling I can see the Z-axis motor moving back and forth slightly to take account of the out-of-levelness of the bed as detected by the automatic levelling routine.  The v4.2.7 board did a 9-point probe of the bed levels, but simply didn't take the results into account when printing, as evidenced by no visual movement of the Z-axis motor, and visibly varying thickness of the first layer.

The other issue is with the v4.2.2 motherboard after I do the bed levelling I then adjust the Probe Z Offset:  The nozzle lowers towards the bed, to what it thinks the height should be for the first layer, then hands control of the Z height to me so I can adjust it up or down by turning the knob on the control panel until a piece of printer paper is not quite trapped between the nozzle and the bed.  A figure of -0.3 to -0.6 usually does the job.  With the v4.2.7 motherboard the nozzle stays up in the air at about +50mm (IIRC) and I then can adjust the Z height + or - using the knob -- but that's + or - from the +50mm height, which is meaningless.

I've managed to get the attention of Ender in China on this one, so I hope to find out soon if it's the board, the firmware, or me that's faulty.

I seem to be going round in circles with Ender China office:  In their latest email they say that the firmware 'Ender3Marlin2.0.6HW4.2.7BLTouch' which I'm using is for the version 4.2.2 motherboard, and have directed me to their web site for download "Ender-3_HW-V4.2.7_SW-V2.0.6_BLTouch".  But that's a zipped file which, when downloaded and unzipped gives me a folder 'Ender-3 Marlin2.0.6 CR Touch or BLTouch firmware' which contains only one file; 'Ender3Marlin2.0.6HW4.2.7BLTouch' 😖

Is there anyone out there with an Ender 3 'Silent' motherboard v4.2.7 and BL or CRTouch who can tell me exactly what firmware they're using please?

The silent board also known as the V4.2.7 board uses TMC2225 stepper motor drivers to reduce noise, it also supports both the CR Touch and BL Touch bed levelling sensors hence both drivers being available.

The BL Touch driver won't work in your printer.

I'd be trying one of the following 4 drivers depending on the version of Ender 3 you have available from here https://www.creality.com/products/cr-touch-auto-leveling-kit, on opening the downloaded zip file you'll see a 4.2.7 folder containing the firmware.

image.thumb.png.f31490713dfb9060fe3f3ec5fe0cb8b2.png 

Edited by PDB

Thanks for those two replies.  Interesting that the file location that I've used, and Creality keep referring me to, says that the 4.2.7 file is for BLTouch and CRTouch.  The location you've given me, PDB, looks much more promising, with a specific CRTouch file and a higher version number than I'm using.  I'll swap the board back and give it a go as soon as I can.

I've watched that video, FlyinFlynn, and it fills me with dread!  Anyway, if I still don't get a result with PDB's link I'll see if I can sort things out by going to the Marlin site as per the video.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 10:37, PDB said:

The silent board also known as the V4.2.7 board uses TMC2225 stepper motor drivers to reduce noise, it also supports both the CR Touch and BL Touch bed levelling sensors hence both drivers being available.

The BL Touch driver won't work in your printer.

I'd be trying one of the following 4 drivers depending on the version of Ender 3 you have available from here https://www.creality.com/products/cr-touch-auto-leveling-kit, on opening the downloaded zip file you'll see a 4.2.7 folder containing the firmware. 

Thank you PDB.  File 'Ender-3_HW4.2.7_SW2.0.8.28_CRTOUCH_standard' from the 'Ender-3 CR Touch Firmware' folder in your screenshot is doing the job for me.  Apart from it being different from the file I previously downloaded from the Ender-3 downloads section, it's confusing that the .bin file names and folder names are different from the headings on the Creality web site.  Anyway, we got there in the end!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Using the files from that site are easy to use and do work, they also have a lot more functionality.

But I don't see a file for Ender 3 v4.2.7 with CRTouch, just BLTouch.  I'm guessing CR and BL are interchangeable, though someone has said that Creality BLTouch files won't work with CRTouch.

52 minutes ago, Allan Bennett said:

someone has said that Creality BLTouch files won't work with CRTouch.

For clarity I was referring to the "Creality" provided firmware, not the Marlin FW Paul has linked too.

I have tried other firmware, including Marlin and https://github.com/mriscoc, and for my basic needs the Creality firmware works fine.

4 hours ago, PDB said:

For clarity I was referring to the "Creality" provided firmware, not the Marlin FW Paul has linked too.

I have tried other firmware, including Marlin and https://github.com/mriscoc, and for my basic needs the Creality firmware works fine.

OK.  It's still working fine for me, so it will stay as it is.  Thanks DB.

• 4 months later...
On 13/12/2023 at 02:06, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Hi Allan

The ender 3 sites firmware is usually way out of date try this site and for a few dollars donation you can use the custom build page.

Easy to use and ALWAYS up to date on the latest Marlin builds for firmware.

Best firmware site

Hello Paul, I was wondering if you'd be able to help with an issue I've been having. I recently upgraded my ender 3 pro to a 4.2.7 board to use with my BLTouch. No matter what firmware I find online when I auto home my printer goes to X 162 Y 124 and Z 10. When I try to level the bed the printer tries to level off of the bed in thin air. The latest firmware I flashed was from that link you recommended (see highlighted screenshot below). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Try using the custom build page and make sure you have all the correct printer info entered. Also have you disconnected the z stop microswitch and from within the firmware builder selected to use the bltouch in its place. There is a lot of settings available from within the custom build page that are not available from the free download link, for a few dollars donation I find its worth it. Also check you have connected the bltouch correctly. I have the CR touch which is connected differently. It's usually something missed in either connecting up or firmware that causes issues.

• Like 1