Geoff's Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

Geoff Gardiner

On 10/04/2024 at 19:21, RICHARD WILLS said:

Geoff , have you tried just wetting the concave side , but keeping the other dry ?

That's how they get warped in the first place . One side gets damp and expands while the other stays dry . 

Try it and see what happens even without the weight after . 

So... Steaming improved things a bit but still had a bit of a warp.

I next tried wetting the concave side but that has made things worse.

I have some ammonia knocking around, that I have used for tight bends in balsa before, I might try using that.

Failing that, I will cut a new part.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Geoff Gardiner said:

I next tried wetting the concave side but that has made things worse

Wet the other side.

I’ve had the same thing on a couple of models so I just cut a slot through the balsa, across the grain, then glued a lolly stick in the slot whilst keeping the balsa flat. Worked a treat plus I got a lolly to eat. I would advise against Magnums as their sticks aren’t straight and can have facial hair.

Wood eh ? Funny old stuff . 

You can get Magnums in a three pack for £3.15 . 

You've used two , so raised the value of the P51 by £2.10 

Ive used individual Tiramisu pots for wheel well lining before and it works out more like £2 each . 

Conversely , you can nip into McDonalds and get coffee stirrers for nothing and those little paper cups that you put the sauce in (which I have yet to discover a use for ).

Is this going to be a new kind of modelling Ron ?

A bit like Kevin Costner using ski boots to walk on the sea bed in Water world ?

Maybe we could make a man carrying model with stuff from the recycling bin ?

• Like 1

I have a shoe box pretty much full of coffee stirrer sticks. Neither my wife nor I take sugar but replenish my stock each time we visit a coffee shop from one of the large chains...... They used to be used extensively to reinforce and repair foamies, now mainly as epoxy stirrers, so stock levels are high.

Somehow, I've managed to accumulate quite a number of pieces of carbon in various sizes to use as reinforcement...... probably salvaged from dead models as I don't recall ever buying any.

• Like 2

Yep, every time I buy a cup of overpriced brown liquid from one of those chains  I collect an appropriate number of these very useful stirring sticks, despite taking neither sugar, nor milk. They are so useful in many ways - perfect leading edge reinforcement for 6mm depron wings, superb paint and epoxy stirrers and applicators and clipping the end off makes for nice lightweight control horns. The chain doesn't lose out, since I'm partaking of neither sugar, nor milk and they would go in the bin anyway. I've nowhere near a shoebox full though, maybe a dozen on the go at any one time.

Don't eat Magnums these days but a bulk buy of lolly sticks from eBay is very cheap, with hundreds in a pack and lasts a long time. These are useful as stirrers and applicators, plus local hardwood reinforcement - nice hardpoints for mini and micro servos into balsa and foam.

This is my take on fitting the radiator on the underside of the wing.

first I added some extra width to the base that gets glued to the wing. Instead of sanding a V shape on the underside to fit the dihedral, I cut it in half and sanded the top flat.

IMG_6996.thumb.jpg.5b2038c6ffe8c586d47ba76881858669.jpg

IMG_6998.thumb.jpg.1c7e40cecaf51c8eac084fffa4df1f6f.jpg

Then I added some extra width to the radiator and sanded to shape.

IMG_7003.thumb.jpg.b483424c65118a5fc35ca012808e3e30.jpg

IMG_7004.thumb.jpg.e6b004e3e2d9347243c00281887b59db.jpg

Here I really struggled to get the angles right to blend with the vac formed front scope - it just didn't look right.

IMG_7005.thumb.jpg.e30a5bd752fb5d91bd6bc7b68a4567b3.jpg

So I tried gluing on some scrap balsa and sanding to shape.

IMG_7012.thumb.jpg.97ebb456368f74790d1bda289e6272cc.jpg

IMG_7019.thumb.jpg.8773e1e0e3ce5ef0bf2ce54e893ca962.jpg

IMG_7023.thumb.jpg.a488a6d69d06a1f80584799eca307b20.jpg

I think I will go with this option.

More later...

• Like 7