Video editing

Geoff S

I have a fairly (very!) cheap small video camera I've fitted to the peak of one of the baseball-type caps I wear to fly (I avoid sunglasses if at all possible).  I haven't tried it in anger (at least not successfully) but it has a very wide angle lens which would mean a flying model would be a mere dot in the sky if it was any distance away.  I'd like to be able to delete unusable footage but keep the closer shots.  What s/w do forumites use for video editing - preferably cheap (to match the camera) or, better, free 🙂 ?

RealPlayer is worth downloading, you can quickly and easily delete and remove sections using the trimmer and it also comes complete with a pretty handy file converter which will convert most files, it's also free, for professional editing but a a cost Adobe Premier Elements is hard to beat or for free with also very equivalent good results get Davinci Resolve but get ready for a learning path with both of these although lots of you tube instruction videos available.

Edited by Philip Lewis 3
Spelling

Hi Geoff,

I spent 40 years as a professional video editor, so have something of an interest in this!

For professional quality, I use DaVinci Resolve, which is used by a lot of Hollywood studios. The free version is very capable, but the learning curve is steep!

For quick - but still remarkably good quality - edits, I use Kdenlive. This is partly because it is part of my Linux operating system as standard, but it is also available for Windows and Mac: Kdenlive

If you click on the download tab at the top of the page, you can see all the available versions.

It is a timeline editor, so works in a similar way to much more sophisticated systems. It might be a little over the top for simple "Slash and Burn" edits, but it works extremely well.

If you just want to lop chunks out, without doing anything more sophisticated (captions, mixes, title, etc), it might be worth looking at Avidemux

Although editing is not its prime purpose, it makes a very good "cuts only" editing system. Its prime purpose is transcoding, so it will take (say) an avi file and convert it to mp4. It can handle most formats, and used as an editor without any transcoding, results in no loss of quality (and is VERY quick!). It can also resize stuff. ie take an HD recording and scale it down to standard definition for DVDs, etc. A very useful "Swiss Army Knife" for video work! (Very useful for cutting ad breaks out of recorded films off TV! 😁 )

Best of luck!

--

Pete

Edited by Peter Christy
typo

Thanks - there's a lot to look at.  In looking for Windows Movie Maker I ended up with a program called Filmora and I'm looking at that.  Dad used to use an 8mm and Super8 camera and editing was done with a razor blade 🙂  Somewhere there's a film of our wedding back in 1967.  I've got a boxful of films and a projector - I really must go through them this winter.

The little camera I have is a Bitmore Ulltra Cam which comes with lots of attachments but minimal instructions. IIRC it was <£20, so I don't expect much from it. I'd just like to film maidens etc so I have some record of what went wrong - hopefully nothing!

I've had a quick look at a few and I like Shotcut the best, so far.  I've just watched a YouTube tutorial which seems to show it's what I want.  I found Kdenlive a bit odd (it didn't seem easy to load an existing video for some reason - probably my fault). It may be because it's written for Linux. We did have a Unix circuit design CAD system at work back in early 90s but I didn't need to know the OS to use the CAD (and it was long ago!).

So for now, I'll use Shotcut when I eventually start videoing my models. 

Anyway, thanks, all.  I've learned a bit today.   I'll soon be filming my maidens - hope my wife doesn't guess 😜

Edited by Geoff S
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use Magix Movie Studio, no subscription, I paid a one time fee of about €60,-. Easy to master program and works like a charm. I didn't find a suitable free program without a catch. No Full HD exporting, a big watermark and so on. I am very happy with it.