Wots wot aerofoil

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2024 at 19:13, Amy flygirl said:

Hi peps, does anyone know what aerofil the Wots wot uses?

Hi, have you managed to find the info you need? If not, if it helps I've got the artf version. The top wing separates at the middle so I could draw round it, scan it and email this to you with dimensions. The tip is more tricky as it is angled but I could measure all the relevant dimensions. If this helps pm me with an email and I'll send the info.

I don;t know about the Wots Wot, but at a talk Chris Foss gave to our club many years ago, when it came to questions, he was asked which aerofoil the Wot 4 used.  "Size 9 left foot" was Chris's answer, i.e. he drew it around his shoe.
He then went on to elaborate a bit, adding that it had a slightly of concave section between the spar and aileron to make the aileron more effective.

I remember a David Boddington article where someone asked about his wing sections on his designs. He said its a TLAR (That Looks About Right) and then went on to say it depended on which french curve was on his drawing board at the time.

This came to pass a few years ago when someone on I think RC Groups had acquired a DB Rookie. I said I built one years ago and it flew brilliantly. Quite a few piled in and said "Ah but if it had a Doppler 123 wing section it'd fly better" I replied with given how many models DB designed, I think he knew what he was doing!

2 hours ago, Jim Hearnden 1 said:

I remember a David Boddington article where someone asked about his wing sections on his designs. He said its a TLAR (That Looks About Right) and then went on to say it depended on which french curve was on his drawing board at the time.

This came to pass a few years ago when someone on I think RC Groups had acquired a DB Rookie. I said I built one years ago and it flew brilliantly. Quite a few piled in and said "Ah but if it had a Doppler 123 wing section it'd fly better" I replied with given how many models DB designed, I think he knew what he was doing!

If it looks about right it generally is 😉

I don't know if Doppler did any airfoils  but I guess your group suggested Eppler rather than Doppler.

Boddingtons airfoils often seem the same as Vic Smeed's airfoils which were earlier.  It's funny how designers are a bit cagey about their airfoils source.

In the late 1980s the Sailplanes International 'Secret Weapon' aerobatic slope soarer was very popular.  The box stated that the tip aerofoil was a NACA symmetrical section, however the root was the 'LBMD001'.  After searching all sorts of aerofoil databases to find info on the root aerofoil, I finally discovered that LB and MD were the initials of the two designers.

1417142282_SecretWeaponBox3-viewcloseup20151103_17103012856461.thumb.jpg.050700aad693fef09bf22096433c8205.jpg

422896484_SecretWeaponBoxdrawing20151103_17103912856448.thumb.jpg.44ba1f0c959d6ec6396e22c7661920de.jpg

That's how people designed aeroplanes before the advent of the science of aerodynamics, wind tunnel testing and, now, computational fluid dynamics or CFD.  Unfortunately, you need a very powerful computer to run the CFD software as well as a highly trained aerodynamicist to set up and drive the software as well as to create the airframe in a 3D web.  It's amazing what this can do for aircraft design but it's far too expensive for use on model aeroplanes - unless we can persuade a friendly prof to get one of his students to take on the task of designing the perfect aircraft for.......er - rubber power, slope soaring, thermal soaring, aerobatics etc.  One of these days may be!  Till  then SWAG and TLAR rule.

The original question can be solved by putting the outlines from i12Fly's model onto a foam blank with the angles the same as the built wing.   All the angles the same of course including tip angle across and down.  Allow for the veneer thickness and any centre bandage etc.

With the Wot4 etc the exact airfoil does not seem to matter too much - depends a lot on how each modeller sands the leading edge.   Every one must turn out a little different but they all seem to fly much the same!   Very early plan Wot4's had a slightly different wing section.   Various Wot4 kit versions have very different tailplane and fin shapes yet they fly just as well. ( some had Acrowot tailplane & fin shape )   Individual modellers have made their own Wot4 wings with different wingtips - some chopped off square others built as per the instructions yet they still fly just the same.  Why they all fly well is a good question but it seems to me that the original design had the right proportions on everything and that blunt wing sections helps a lot.   Even overweight and/or overpowered they still fly well.

11 hours ago, Nigel R said:

I'd love to see Chris Foss' supporting data for this claim...

NigelR, it was probably empirical data from testing a number of different aerofoils until Chris found one giving the qualities he desired.  Anyway, Sukhoi used something along the same lines for the Sukhoi Su-26, and they seemed to know what they were doing.
(image from RC Groups)

1127669539_su-26aerofoil.gif.eee232f3f79c0ab8688a6d462b042d63.gif

Edited by Robin Colbourne

Hmm. Sukhoi, whatever flavour, will fly at Reynolds far above what a Wot 4 does, apples and orange etc. 

One thing Chris Foss was good at was marketing and protecting his IP. Pinch of salt etc. What did this testing consist of? What results are there? What controls were in place to ensure single changes were tested and measured?

I remain unconvinced that he simply didn't draw something round a handy curve and claim it was the best thing since sliced bread...

• Like 1