Setting up Phoenix 5.5

Neddy

I have down loaded the program but it won't connect to my transmitter. My transmitter is an E Fly 4channel . According on my transmitters instructions it says connect lead to micrphone jack on computer. But the instructions on Phoenix says connect to USB outlet on computer. The USB lead I am using is a SuperSim set to Phoenix but its not working. Looks like I will have to get a special adaptor lead. Oh well it's only money.

If you see messages telling you no transmitter is detected, you're unable to calibrate.

Is your Supersim 'lead' just a dongle that is a usb connector at one end an a mini phono jack socket at the other? That's what both dongles I have had are like...

The cable from the tx plugs into the mini phono socket.

A picture of the SuperSim lead may help us to help you.

• Like 1

To connect the Tx to the computer you need a USB dongle like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403145328219?chn=ps&_ul=GB&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1QItok7gcRge7JohypBab0w26&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=403145328219&targetid=1647205089520&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046449&poi=&campaignid=17206177401&mkgroupid=136851690655&rlsatarget=pla-1647205089520&abcId=9300866&merchantid=419708514&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw6yuBhDrARIsACf94RUeHMDx2qt2tV7W2JCFk87u4tZLmayeWapAMjNdLw5V7u-H9KWmvHoaAiT7EALw_wcB

The dongle is connected to the Tx using a lead with a 3.5mm  jack plug, the other end plugs into the trainer socket of the Tx (various types of socket are used by different manufacturers, it may be a 3.5mm jack socket, it may not). If your Tx doesn't have a trainer socket you're out of luck unless you can find a wireless dongle that uses the same communication protocol as the transmitter.

• Like 1

Neddy, I have exactly the same dongle as you, which works perfectly with Phoenix.

First thing, the sliding switch MUST be in the 4. Phoenix RC4 for the dongle to work with Phoenix.

I am running Phoenix on Windows 10, but previously ran it on Windows 7

Denis says that the transmitter should be switched off, but that is not necessarily the case - for my FrSky Taranis it needs to be switched ON in order to work with Phoenix.

I may be able to help if you, but I need to have a look at a couple of things tomorrow - I'll be back!

GDB

Thanks it is on the Phoenix setting. When I plug it into computer the light comes on on the dongle If I turn the transmitter on the light flashes. Does the dongle need the dongle DVD to activate it. I haven't got it. Could that be the problem?

Neddy, I've been doing a bit more investigation. The nearest Art-Tech transmitter manual I can find is for the EFlyETB4 :

EFly ETB4 User-Manual-1006698.pdf

Is this very similar or the same as yours?

The manual mentions connecting the simulator port on your transmitter to the mic port on the computer exactly as you describe. It than goes on to give instructions for the setup of Windows, followed by the installation and running of the FMS Flight Simulator. See here FMS Homepage (modelsimulator.com)

Therefore it could be that your 'simulator port' is only compatible with this particular set-up - I really don't know - or it could be possible to connect it to Phoenix. There may be others on the forum that can advise you further.

At the end of the day you could download the FMS simulator (which is compatible with Windows 😎 and follow the instructions and get that running.

GDB

Thank you for your investigation. I have found out the problem. I checked the lead with multimeter using ohms it must have a break in it. I replaced the lead with another lead  and it started to work. After setting the various gimbal settings I was able try flying an aircraft. It's a good thing you get another plane to fly after crashing. I think my longest flight would have been about half a minute. I kept losing site of the plane  and couldn't tell which way the plane was. Had a good laugh. 

One problem that I have is using this on my laptop is my screen is only 15inch and too small and I soon lose sight of the plane. Plus I have a problem with being able to make out the way the plane is sitting. I will be connecting my laptop to a bigt screen TV using a HDMI cable hopefully this will improve my sight problem. Just wondering is Phoenix 6 any better than the 5.5 as far as graphics go?