Charging glo starters

Erfolg

I have purchased a plug directly to glo plug batteries. It supplied with a lead to a computer USB male type connectors.

I had some difficulty in connecting the opposite end onto the lead. It required far more force than I expected. This had me wondering if I had correctly connected it, yet there seemed to be no other alternative.

Now to my issue, there appears to be no way of knowing if the Nimh is being charged now connected to my PC. I intend to leave it plugged in for about 10-12 hours. Is my only way of knowing the state of charge via a multimeter?

4 hours ago, Erfolg said:

I have purchased a plug directly to glo plug batteries. It supplied with a lead to a computer USB male type connectors.

I had some difficulty in connecting the opposite end onto the lead. It required far more force than I expected. This had me wondering if I had correctly connected it, yet there seemed to be no other alternative.

Now to my issue, there appears to be no way of knowing if the Nimh is being charged now connected to my PC. I intend to leave it plugged in for about 10-12 hours. Is my only way of knowing the state of charge via a multimeter?

USB glowplug driver?? what on earth did you buy? 

Hi Erflog a lot of the glowstarter/ glowsticks came with low output wall wart chargers that wouldnt charge the battery enough, usually the 120 mah ones. The 300 mah were much better and gave a decent charge. Owners would stop useing them due to thinking the battery was dead when it was the rubbish chargers they came with.This modern idea that everything needs to be USB compatible is getting annoying and i cant see is giving a "c" or"sub C " a decent charge. Do you know whate the output is of the USB thingy ? If you have a imax6 or similar then use the adapter intended for glowsticks usually included  Charge at a rate to get the battery just warm . It wont hurt the NiHm battery. Better still a constant rate charger like we used some years ago will charge it just fine on an overnight charge.

• Like 1

Robert that appears to be the identical product.

There now appears a number of different Glo-sticks that seem to be using the same method. 

My choice was probably influenced that I could see that it came with a charge lead, with some it was not obvious what was needed. When this one arrived, then another set of issues raised further questions.

huh, thats a new one. i question the logic of using a battery to charge a battery mind you. In any event, as ED says its all about the charge rate. As you have some fancy chargers for you electric gear, you can always snip the end off the USB cable and just make a lead to delta peak it off your existing gear. 

As for the force required, that will loosen as you use the glow clip and it 'runs in'. Be sure to pull the outer back to allow the inner part to expand around the plug. 

22 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

huh, thats a new one. i question the logic of using a battery to charge a battery mind you. In any event, as ED says its all about the charge rate. As you have some fancy chargers for you electric gear, you can always snip the end off the USB cable and just make a lead to delta peak it off your existing gear. 

As for the force required, that will loosen as you use the glow clip and it 'runs in'. Be sure to pull the outer back to allow the inner part to expand around the plug. 

you could charge it on the way to the field from your cars USB port, plus if you have a mobile phone charger that will typically have a USB socket on it.

And my main workshop charger also has an additional USB socket on it too.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck