Aileron set up

Taff

Hi All

Need some advice please

Could someone put me on the right path , i have nearly completed my first trainer ,Sebart Shark 30 E and iam upto the stage of puting in the electrics..all installed ok ie..motor .esc.receiver ,but as to linking the ailerons no instructions....being 2 off aileron servos  i am in a bit of a newbe situation (or thicky) lol   reading the forums have picked a bit of info but would like it to be clarified please...could i use channel 1 & 6 (or have i missunderstood) or do use a Y connector ? if both are a possability could someone tell me which is best and why ...sorry if it is a mundane question but its confusing for me.

Thanks in advance

Taff

Advert

Glynn - read the Futaba manual it will tell you how to set up the individual wing servo's. Much better than a Y lead as you can trim them independantly and also set up aileron differential or flapperons etc if required, not really required on thos plane but it will be useful to go through it anyway..

Kit instructions won't tell you how to do this as each radio is slightly different.

Glynn

Yes using 2 channels is better but do make sure you fully understand how to set this up on your radio and how to adjust it properly. A Y lead is simpler as far as the radio set up is concerned but requires more care adjusting the servo to aileron linkage correctly.

When you set up the ailerons make sure both are exactly in line with the wing trailing edge when the stick in the centre. If they are down even just a little bit it will make the plane harder to handle.

I would say that as a novice you would be better off using the Y lead. I normally do.

Using two channels is useful but you have enough complications without worrying about setting that up. Even I get confused with trying to set up ailerons on two separate channels.

I have to sit there with the book and it takes me quite some time to get it right.

Peter

I draw comfort knowing I'm not the only one .I,like you it seems ,can go over & over the destructions & it wont seem to connect with the right part of my brain cell .     'er indoors has no problems.  Trouble is she;s not always available .I've had all sorts of weird things happen when using 1 & 6  .It looks so simple when she does it  and of course the more I try the more annoyed I get with myself for being such a dumbo .Mind you - give her some wood and its her no-go area

Luddites - did you buy a video recorder and wait until the program was on the start recording manually.

Some good assistance on Futaba radio programming here 

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-6exa.html

If you can use the programming to set travel and exponential then separate servo's on the ailerons are the best way to go. By adjusting the end points you can dial in some differential if you need it.

Frank.

Here is a chap who is a novice. Having seen a lot of novices,  I know that they have enough trouble setting up the standard model.

He doesn't need differential on a basic trainer. He doesn't need any more to worry about. That way lies trouble.

Most accidents are caused by a series of different little problems. Eliminate as many little unnecessary propblems as possible and you reduce the chance of things going wrong.

Now I know it looks great to show how clever one is but not when it causes  more trouble thanit is worth.

I work on the KISS principle , in other words, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

I am a novice and found that simple adjusting in the control panel was a lot easier and more accurate than fiddling about with clips and small screws.

It takes all types with different preferences and whichever suits your abilities is  the avenue you should follow.

I do find that you can get a pile of conflicting advise from individuals who appear to have miles of experience.  I have found trial and error an avenue that has suited me.  

Peter, is was slightly tongue in cheek, but if you are familiar with computerised gadgets then setting up a Tx with separate aileron servo's will be fairly intuitive.

I started with red and black servo's so that shows my age!

But people brough up on modern electronics don't find this an issue, I remember teaching one young lad to fly and as he cleared the end of the strip on landing his engine cut. I said lucky your engine cut just as you were about to land, oh no he says I pushed the engine kill button....

But I know what you mean, I've seen people with all singing and dancing sets and all they do is use the servo reverse and end point adjustment.

Frank is right.

TX setup is much easier than Y leads and getting both sides mechanically right, and then ensuring full throw doesn't damage anything.

TX setup is straightforward and documented.

And then you have the benfit of dual rates and exponential to make flight more predictable and tractable for the novice.

Andy

Hey folks, lets really get into this. Tell Taff that for perfect control he should also set up coupled aileron and rudder, then he can mix in  a bit of rudder tirm as he opens the throttle and possibly a bit of elevtaor trim as well, After all, that is much easier than adjusting thrust lines which are never quite right on ARTFs.

Seriously. Taff can use the end point adjustment to set up his ailerons on a Y lead which avoids  fiddling with clips and screws and damage that some people seem to think would occur but avoids the complications if using two separate cahnnels.

I find it interesting that people can say such things, We used to have to set up things mechanically every time. Now any errors are corrected on the transmitter and never mind at what angle the servo output arm ends up. Not in fact the best way to do things from the point of view of control geometry.

Oh, and my first radio was ECC Telecommander. (Who goes back THAT far?) Never did get it to work successefully in flight. My first successful radio was RCS Guidance system.

Red and black servos? That was really modern advanced stuff. You should have watched people struggling to set up reed gear.

Hi

Thanks to all for advice,had a good read of the Futaba manual (not that bad )think I will try 1 & 6,got to try,if Ihit trouble then I will revert to Y lead.

Cheers for now  Taff 

PS

Could not believe the swift response & good advice...what a briliant place to get all your answers....keep up the good work you people

I am setting up my new Futaba T7C Spectrum 2.4 Ghz Transmitter with a Multiplex Twinstar II. Have fitted a  Y lead for the Twin Ailerons and was wondering about the 1 & 6 channel option

The Twinstar Manual reccomends 18mm up and 10mm down (appx) for the Ailerons so I think I will set them both at 14mm with the Y lead for now as am a novice

Does this sound acceptable Guys?

Mix a bit of rudder in as well, my twinstar (version 1) does suffer from a bit of adverse yaw and as I'm using an old 4 channel RX i have them on a Y lead, so no differential.

I might try 6 channel Rx and setting up some differential to see if that gives better turns, next time I dig it out.

Other option is to get the differential mechanically by putting the servo arms onto the servo so they are pointing slightly to the front of the wing and then although you will have the same rotation either way, the up aileron will move further. ( in the days before computer radio's you used to get articles in the mags on how to do this )