Have just set up my Spektrum AR8360T and now No Throttle!

GKM4

I have just set up my AR8360T using my NX8. All I have done is set rates switches, exponential, safe and AS3X plus a throttle cut and now I have no throttle. Throttle is plugged into 1 on receiver as required. I have checked the throttle cut set up and it seems to be ok. Would an ESC fail just like that? Thanks for any help.

Most likely you will need to set the trim or throttle end point down a bit and then the ESC will arm.

Its a safety feature to stop the ESC arming and starting on the fly with the motor rotating! Its just Speky seem to output a slightly higher throttle setting compared with other manufacturers.

Just make sure the prop is off in case it springs to life unexpectedly.

PS you can check the TX in monitor mode that the throttle output is working with the RX unpowered first 

• Like 1

I did try setting the trim down a bit but it still did not work. I just reset the receiver and calibrated the ESC and the throttle worked but just reprogrammed the Safe and as3x and now it wont work again.🙄

Thanks for reply. Monitor showing that all is well. Just totally reset the receiver to factory default again and throttle works like a charm. I will try setting up safe and as3x again to see what happens. This time I wont set up throttle cut and see how it goes.

Totally reset receiver again and all controls work including throttle. Went in to Forward Programming and set up Safe and AS3X again. Safe and AS3X working fine but no throttle. Monitor shows that all channels are working correctly and I have tried to reset the ESC but no bleeps or noises and no response. 

I am now assuming that due to the age of this model which is at least 15 years old the ESC is not compatible with the receiver although it works without the modes programmed in to it???

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, GKM4 said:

Totally reset receiver again and all controls work including throttle. Went in to Forward Programming and set up Safe and AS3X again. Safe and AS3X working fine but no throttle. Monitor shows that all channels are working correctly and I have tried to reset the ESC but no bleeps or noises and no response. 

I am now assuming that due to the age of this model which is at least 15 years old the ESC is not compatible with the receiver although it works without the modes programmed in to it???

Any ideas?

Sounds like one of the steps in programming AS3X and SAFE is interfering with normal throttle functioning. Having programmed an AR630 I can only say that the programming process is somewhat complicated,  took me several tries to get it working. I'd go through the forward programming menu and double check that the throttle function hasn't been set to "inhibit" in any of the options.  Unlikely to be the ESC as it just supplies power to the receiver and accepts the receiver output controlling power.

Can you temporarily plug a servo into the throttle channel of the receiver?

You’ll need a receiver battery as well of course. Or connect it along with the ESC using a Y lead.

If the servo operates normally with throttle stick movement that would suggest that the ESC doesn’t like the throttle signal. As has been previously suggested, probably the zero point is incorrect.

No servo movement will show that the throttle channel has somehow got deactivated when setting up the AS3X or SAFE settings.

You could then go through your reset and setting procedure again, and see at which point the servo movement changes or stops.

Perhaps AS3X or SAFE mode disables throttle as a safety measure until you are ready to take off, and enable it somehow. Just guessing here.

Brian.

Failing all of the above suggestions, phone John at Logic RC, very helpful chap and I would expect he will know what the issue is and how to resolve it.

PS people complain about the price of Specky stuff, but at least in my experience support is there and it works.

PPS please let us know the fix!

Thank you for your replies. I did a total factory reset on the transmitter and receiver last night and then did a fresh bind and set up of the aircraft inc dual rates, exponential and Throttle cut.Also voices to the switches that I used. All is working fine but now will go through Safe and AS3X set up again to see what happens.

I will let you know.

Well I just reprogrammed safe and AS3X again which is about the 6th time I have done it and still no joy. The only difference this time is that when I advance the throttle, nothing happens but when I return the stick to the bottom of its travel, I get 1 beep now. I must have spent 4 or 5 hours trying to get this going. Beginning to look like I am returning to the wrong hobby.😩.  As I say, before the forward programming, everything works perfectly and no steps in it have a direct input to throttle that I can see.

I know this combination works, the NX8 and the AR8360T, as have helped out at least three lads. But, these were done without the extra helps and whistles of dual rate and expo.

Have found over time that giro in general can reject failsafe, and twice have had to to buy a failsafe.

Have found too, 2 things about Spectrum throttle, that it needs a value present, and can appear OFF, but is reversed and not trimmed UP.

Also, Spektrum Kill Switch, has to free moving to 104%

And Servo travel can make throttle inopperable.

I would try next using the TAER regular channels without rates to check working

I know this combination works, the NX8 and the AR8360T, as have helped out at least three lads. But, these were done without the extra helps and whistles of dual rate and expo.

Have found over time that giro in general can reject failsafe, and twice have had to to buy a failsafe.

Have found too, 2 things about Spectrum throttle, that it needs a value present, and can appear OFF, but is reversed and not trimmed UP.

Also, Spektrum Kill Switch, has to free moving to 104%

And Servo travel can make throttle inopperable.

I would try next using the TAER regular channels without rates to check working

Thanks for this info. I was thinking along the lines of losing the dual rates and expo to see if that works. I have tried throttle settings of everything down to -130 but no joy.

I will try again tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help.👍

Have you tried plugging a servo in with the ESC as I suggested a few posts above?

In doing that, you will know whether the throttle channel is somehow getting disabled completely, or more likely, its throw is getting reduced or its end points changed such that the ESC will not react to it on power up.

Just use a Y lead to connect the servo and ESC in parallel.

Brian.

28 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Have you tried plugging a servo in with the ESC as I suggested a few posts above?

In doing that, you will know whether the throttle channel is somehow getting disabled completely, or more likely, its throw is getting reduced or its end points changed such that the ESC will not react to it on power up.

Brian.

I will try that this morning. Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, RottenRow said:

Brian.

Just tried this and the servo connected to the Y lead, which is connected to throttle (Number 1 on receiver) works whether throttle cut is on or off.

On 01/03/2024 at 15:02, Shaun Walsh said:

Have you checked page 21 of the receiver instructions, "aircraft will not respond to throttle but responds to other controls"?

Have taken particular notice of this as I just cant fathom it out.

51 minutes ago, GKM4 said:

Just tried this and the servo connected to the Y lead, which is connected to throttle (Number 1 on receiver) works whether throttle cut is on or off.

Which suggests that your throttle cut isn’t doing what it should.

Can you tell whether that servo movement is ‘full range’? Ie what would equate to 100% in both directions.

You might need to go back and reset everything again, without AS3X and SAFE enabled, then measure that servo’s movement (add a pointer onto its arm, and mark the total movement on a piece of paper), your ESC should be working ok at this point. Then set your AS3X and SAFE and see how that changes that servo’s movement. I suspect that it will reduce it, at one end at least.

Brian.

I hate to point out the obvious but this does rather show that solving problems with complex electronic setups can be more troublesome that the flight benefits it is intended to provide.

Personally I am a bit suspicious of 'throttle cut' with electrics. You are relying on an electronic safety feature rather than a physical electrical isolation.

At least with IC once it stops from a throttle cut command it is physically unable to restart itself no matter what you do with the controls. 

After checking thoroughly, I appear to have multiple Throttle cut of switches as in Switch H B and C. I have only ever set up switch H and this is a new transmitter. Very odd! Now I need to find out how to reset Flight modes and start again.