Warbirds Replicas Hawker Tempest V -Mass Build 2024(part two) .

OK so the stripes are on and I have to say the green frog tape is excellent . No bleed and no lifting of my brown paper . 

Still looks very rough and I can see how newbies might be disappointed with how it looks at the moment . 

However , Ive been here been before and as many have pointed out  , 

disappointment is my middle name . 

(yes thats right , Richard Disappointing Wills , my Dad was not much of an optimist ) 

Ive slapped on the light grey underside paint , but not before masking the ends of my lovely invasion stripes with a bit of frog tape cleverly cut down the middle to save some for later . 

IMG_6830.jpg

• Like 1

HOLD IT !!!

The green looked like it had a bit of blue in it . I didnt like it . 

There was nose wrinkling . Following by some "tuts" and then , worst of all , teeth sucking .  

I thought about complaining to the manager at B &Q but I am a club card holder so didnt want to rock the boat . 

After all , Ive already been banned from Halfords ..... so my paint options are drying up . 

So I went to a different B&Q and got the nice lady to mix me up some "wood pidgeon "             .

Bloody marvelous , but also confusing because the wood pidgeons I see are grey . 

I thought about bringing this up with the lady , but as my mum always said "less said soonest mended ". 

Anyway , at £4 for a pot that will do three planes it was a result . 

IMG_6835 (1).jpg

IMG_6834.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

HOLD IT !!!

There was nose wrinkling . Following by some "tuts" and then , worst of all , teeth sucking .  

I thought about complaining to the manager at B &Q but I am a club card holder so didnt want to rock the boat . 

After all , Ive already been banned from Halfords ..... so my paint options are drying up . 

So I went to a different B&Q and got the nice lady to mix me up some "wood pidgeon "             .

Bloody marvelous , but also confusing because the wood pidgeons I see are grey . 

I thought about bringing this up with the lady , but as my mum always said "less said soonest mended ". 

IMG_6835 (1).jpg

IMG_6834.jpgwood pigeons fly pretty good so it should be OK 

Posted (edited)

Yes well, you're both just bitter because unlike me, you're not one of the exclusive members , like what I am . Any way , putting that behind me, here are some quick shots of the Tempest awaiting the next stage . 

Decals will be the next job . 

Looks angry doesnt it ? Pity nobody every put a sharks mouth on . 

IMG_6839.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

Edited by RICHARD WILLS
  • Like 10

As you know , we are trying a new decal provider for the 190 and Tempest . 

I have to say that I'm very impressed . The colours and pre cutting are very good and I particularly like the "sky " coloured squadron codes . I am going to get them to include an extra strip of sky to do the rear fuselage band in your version of the decals . Looks like I'll be painting mine though ...

My models get a hard time so in an extra effort to make sure my decals stay on and wrinkle free I have opted to make the surface adhesion as good as I possibly can . 

These decals are sticky , and if you stuck one on glass , it would not come off . But if you stuck it on your jeans it definitely would . 

Our matt emulsion is somewhere in between . 

So Ive rubbed down the area where the decals will locate with very fine wet and dry (used dry ) , then wiped with a damp cloth . Dont worry if it takes some of the paint off , it adds to the overall effect . 

Next , I brushed on a thin coat of PVA glue but only where the transfers will go . 
I left it for an hour to dry and go clear , then gave a quick wipe with the fine paper again . It felt glassy at this point , as I had hoped . 

The Decals went on nicely and they feel rock solid . If I do get any "lift " on a hot day , I can put a sock on my small iron and iron them back down as the PVA will reactivate with heat . 

The "R B " and fuselage roundel come on a transparent carrier film , which is excellent because if you line up the straight backs of the R and B with the black and white stripes , you cant go wrong . Easy Peasy !

IMG_6842.jpg

IMG_6843.jpg

IMG_6844.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

• Like 5

We've still got some bits to do :

Clear canopy paint and fit . 

Cockpit -add a little detail . 

Cannon blister 

Exhaust stacks 

Yellow leading edge paint . 

General panel lines and weathering . 

Its always good to get a second opinion at this stage . 

Luckily the works inspector was in the building . She's recently given up smoking her pipe and has been advised by the doctor to distract herself by chewing on something else.

Nett result was that I could really tell if she liked it or not . Just sounded like grumbling to me . 

IMG_6849.jpg

• Like 1

Anyway , putting her rather inconclusive opinion aside (I suppose the written report on Monday will give more away ) , I thought it would be an opportune moment to bring the two 1944 protagonists together . 

I think we have achieved what we set out to . ie a pair of quick build , easy to fly warbirds to honour the brave pilots of both sides and give an opportunity to show that a built up model can offer everything that an ARTF can , with the extra bonus of self satisfaction (and an element of smug superiority , if I might be so bold , your Honour) 

IMG_6851.jpg

IMG_6852.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

• Like 10

Eric thanks, i need a green to do / match - what they used during     WW II, as i have a 64" Mk 9,and several other refurbs- kits to do. Need  to get a good match 👍

Note: i tried the Guild - olive drab matt, then over sprayed with : "aerokote" for a gloss finish,  it pickled, should have stuck with the bnq match pots. 

Hence need to find the right match.

23 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

HOLD IT !!!

IMG_6835 (1).jpg

IMG_6834.jpg

Here’s a thought for all cheapskate modellers (the best sort!). Wouldn’t it be great to create a shared spreadsheet that matches common scale colours to the closest off the shelf emulsion match? It’d be a valuable service to ghetto scale modellers everywhere!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

You can buy a small 'correct' tin then paint on white card and get them to colour match it.

I did this for my Mustang and it was a lot cheaper than all proprietary model paints... a LOT cheaper

Yes, that's what I do for most of my paint jobs. For any artfs, where I have a tailplane or battery hatch to get scanned, that lets me get the appropriate colours in stock, for future touch up or repairs.

Thats what i did with the drab olive, got it scanned and matched at bnq, they came up with "Deep canyon" which to me still don't look right. To brownish, and then RW changes the colour to " wood pigeon " which looks about right, 🤔 any further thoughts chaps?? Much appreciated Graham. ( cornwall)17125112455447843476451237064866.thumb.jpg.176296ac3d256c06433740edbb5d1935.jpg

1 hour ago, leccyflyer said:

They do if they are commemorating D-Day Eric. 🙂

Looking very good Richard. Nice one. 👍

Many were built after D Day. I'm sure you and I have enough appropriate models to commemorate D Day Brian.😄

If this weather continues we will all be grounded 😶

Ive decided I dont like the upper wing roundels . The kit version will have to be altered . I kept looking them thinking , do they look correct ?

No . 

The ratio of red to blue should be 2:5  red /blue for the period around D day . 

I haven't ordered the decals but am about to , based on what I have . I will mod mine and make sure yours are all correct . 

I'm a bit fussy about that sort of stuff .