Lithium 1860 batteries

I assume you’re referring to 18650 size cells?  Remember that the voltage quoted is a nominal figure and depending on the type of chemistry, will typically be around 4 - 4.2V (8 - 8.4V per 2S pack) fully charged. 

There are high voltage servos and many receivers are tolerant of such voltage but most servos are likely to have short lives run without a regulated supply. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Neddy said:

Just wondering if it safe to use two 3.7v 1860 lithium batteries to make up 7.4 volts  to run 5 volt components  eg servos, stabilisers and receivers.  

NO.

Unless you use a Battery eliminator circuit (BEC) or High Voltage (HV) rx and servos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neddy said:

Would connecting a low amp ESC do the job.

With care you could use the BEC in an ESC, but a more sensible option would be to get a separate BEC (voltage regulator).

Dick

I can recommend the etronix stand alone BECs that are available in either 5V or 6V versions at 5A. Usually around the eight quid mark from most model shops if you do a web search. I've had  one in my Durafly Vampire since new (eight years+) when the original HK unit failed during bench setup and thankfully before the model's first flight.

Edited by Cuban8