Fitted stabiliser.

Yesterday I fitted a A2 V3 stabiliser . I have set it up and it seems to be working as it should. I have not flown the plane as yet so I am yet to set the gain settings. My transmitter is a very basic model so it does not have the facility to operate the on and off control for the stabiliser. So the stabiliser is active as soon as power is turned on in the plane. I do intend to up grade my transmitter and have been looking out for a good second hand one as I am on a very limited budget being a pensioner. Have seen a few Spectrum 6i transmitters but lots seem to have snapped off toggle switches. I think it is a fairly easy repair job that I would be able to do. I will see how I go 

I think my advice (offered even though not asked for) would be to postpone your first flight until you have a way to turn the gyro off in flight. It is a very easy setting to get wrong, too low and it wont help in stabilising the model and too high and it will introduce an uncontrollable porpoise that will end in tears. 

/2p.

• Like 3

Neddy,

I agree with FF, I would wait until you have the ability to switch the stabiliser off, and not switch it on until a healthy altitude is reached.

Is there any particular reason for sticking with the Spectrum offerings in terms of transmitters?

What sort of budget do you have?

11 hours ago, Andy Gates said:

Neddy,

I agree with FF, I would wait until you have the ability to switch the stabiliser off, and not switch it on until a healthy altitude is reached.

Is there any particular reason for sticking with the Spectrum offerings in terms of transmitters?

What sort of budget do you have?

Spectrum seems to be the favoured brand at our local flying club. I am in my mid 70s do things are tight for me.

All, good advice given here Neddy, but for a good chance of success, the Gain should be turned right down initially, as suggested.

Let's test your set up before the maiden.

The Stab should be fixed down, cushioned, but no movement.

Now switch the tranny, model and rx on.

lift the port wing, the port aileron, should go Up.

lift the starboard wing, the starboard aileron should move Up.

Now lift the tail, the elevator should move Up.

moving to the side of the model

push the tail away from you, the Rudder should deflect away.

pull the tail towards you, the Rudder should deflect towards you.

Now turn each gain down, just enough to just hear each servo respond to movement.

give the model a fly

Neddy

Let make an alternative point of view.

Have you flown the plane before without a stabiliser or will this be its maiden?

I assume it is a 3 Axis stabiliser. This means it will react to any disturbance but will not return the plane to a pre set straight and level flight. The plane has got to be able to fly within the capabilities of the gyro, no more than 10% of any control deflection. If it need more than flying is going to be difficult.    

The gyro will reduce the rate, hence the term "rate gyro", at which anything is likely to up set the plane and within limits it will also slow the effect of the plane being out of trim.

All this means despite the stabiliser you will still be able to "crash in the normal way" but hopefully it will give you a bit more time to use the sticks to keep it flying and hopefully adjust the trims to achieve a passable straight and level flight.

I am sure the instruction will advise the gains are set to the mid point initially.

So my advice is, provided you are absolutely sure the gyro is moving the controls in the correct sense, you can undertake a flight with a 3 axis gyro without being able to switch off. Do the flight on a relatively calm day so the gyro does not have too much to do.

I certainly did quite a few maidens like that with different planes although being able to switch it off after a couple of flights does give you the confidence you can do part or eventually all a flight without it. In fact it can be rather disappointing as to just how smooth your flying is when it is on!

I am building a Douglas X-3 Stiletto at the moment. It is such an extreme design it will have a 3 Axis gyro for its first, if not all, its flights. In fact I flew the "gyro donor" plane this morning, a home design EDF Hawker Hunter, and to my relief I can still fly that in rather gusty condition with no gyro.

Neddy

As you appear to have been able to set the gyro to work for a plane I would assume its default setting is the "Normal" mode. The servo reactions for Auto-balance and Auto-hover would be different, typically when the plane was moved manually the control surfaces would remain deflected until the plane was returned to straight and level.

Note. If the A2 V3 is and remains in "normal" mode only "gain 1" will have any effect. The other two gains are only for the other modes.