Laser engines - the state of play following their closure

Ron Gray

30 minutes ago, Manish Chandrayan said:

Yeah! The only way for international customers is to have a few friends in UK. 

LOL

I was born in Cirencester (1955).............that should count for something😝

18 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

You can only hope that MSL can change its policy in the circumstances. Are you going by present advertised policy or have you approached them directly?  Might be worth doing so if you haven’t. 

I had corresponded with them when they had started to list Lasers. Was categorically told that they do not ship international 

Edited by Manish Chandrayan

1 hour ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

You can only hope that MSL can change its policy in the circumstances. Are you going by present advertised policy or have you approached them directly?  Might be worth doing so if you haven’t. 

It's a shame that Laser went belly up.

I thought they did quite well when they made the singles and V twins that Neil designed.

Perhaps all the money spent on the non boxer twins depleted all the capitol and the owner decided it wasn't worth the effort to keep a sinking ship afloat.

To turn the parts supply over to a seller that won't help anyone outside the UK is even more of an insult to others who were loyal to Laser around the world.

Best I guess I can do is try to correspond with MSL and get the spring size needed............

I do have a Neil Tidey built 200 V I can cannibalize if needed should my Jon H built 80 break a spring.....:))

The 200 was a lucky buy for $200.00

image1 (1).jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

• Like 1

I think that’s a bit unfair on Jon.  The “development” of the boxers was a minor exercise by all accounts and its well documented that he didn’t feel that he was getting the support he wanted from the owner of the parent business which, after Neil’s departure, was felt to be very much of a sideline. 

I understand that Jon had no financial interest and was purely an employee - admittedly with a keen interest in the product.  Any “beef” should be with the owner of the company who made the decision to terminate not only his company, but any (remote) possibility that Laser engines could carry on in different hands. 

• Like 4

Not being unfair on Jon at all...........I have all the respect in the world for him. He managed to keep Lasr in the game for years after Neil retired, and in today's hobby of modelers buying eveything from china that's quite a feat. The development of the non Boxers (that's what was developed) was surely what the owner wanted. But keep in mind that a Boxer is a smooth running twin with little to know vibration.

A few fellows over here received a few of the twins and quite frankly weren't impressed with the vibration levels.

That alone called off a lot of interest. The V twins are smoother.

Had the opposed twins been Boxer design they would have been in huge demand. Especially at the price they were listed for.

I'm saying that Laser  closing down was inevitable, but the way parts are cut off fom us modelers around the world is just plain disrespectful to put it nicely.

Who wants to put in a 1,000 hours of building and finishing a scale plane that is built around an engine that has no support is one thing, but to not have access to the parts if needed is just wrong.

Engines for scale planes need not be perfect, but being able to service the engine is important when building scale. We can't just hack up and rebalance a scale model like this because a 10 dollar part is unobtainable.

Xc80441 (2).jpg

Xu62523 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Sorry, of course they were common crankpin flat twins. As to the owner wanting them, I think I recall that it was the opposite way round and Jon created his “Frankenstein” prototype out of personal interest and was inundated with support from modellers asking for them to be put into production, having to work quite hard to persuade the boss to run off the parts needed. 

I do hope that you’ll find a way to obtain spares should you need them in the future.  It’s not for me to comment on the stockist’s policy on international sales but perhaps it might be reviewed if sufficient enquiries are received?

At least it sounds like some provision has been made by Laser’s owner for a batch of spare parts to be produced and stocked.

I don’t think this has happened for ASP/SC since their decision to withdraw from the market as stocks seem to be running out fast!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, mikem65d said:

Had the opposed twins been Boxer design they would have been in huge demand. Especially at the price they were listed for.

it couldnt have been done for the same price as a common throw crank. A full boxer would have cost a fortune and at maybe twice the cost of a v it wouldnt have sold. Also as vibration with a single throw was not a problem on test, and no owner has ever complained its a moot point anyway. This was discussed to death during the development.

I have seen posts on facebook from people who have not owned one or seen one run claiming excessive vibration, but they simply havent a clue what they are talking about. They run fine, not as smooth as a V but not as 'bad' as a single, and power that thrashes the competition. 

Although unrelated,  i like the 180 degree firing interval too. Makes a nice sound.  

• Like 3

I haven’t got a clue and have heard nothing back from AGC Geoff. My one has been with them since last September. Jon has said that they will be done and that the parts have been made but how long does one wait?

On 15/04/2024 at 18:15, Jon H said:

but they simply havent a clue what they are talking about.

Too true Jon, neither of mine, the 200 or the 310, have excessive vibration, in fact the 310 is quite smooth. I flew my 310 powered Giant Revolver again last Friday, the first time for a few months, and re-aquatinted myself with the awesome power and lovely sound. Hopefully take it out again tomorrow as I had a spare prop in the prop drawer!

• Like 1