Photon powered glider

I have decided on building myself a foam board construction powered glider based upon the so named  photon design. I want to be able to use it mainly for soaring gliding at our local cliff top flying area. The guy who does the videos about the build is very helpful and informative. I have started to do the fuselage so I will let you know how I progress.

Hi flyboy,

Shops are closing local to me but I get my foam board ( model makers board ) from "the range" in Bangor 20 miles away.

It comes in one thickness only as far as I remember, A4, A3 and A2

They may stock larger "a" size but I only get the a sizes mentioned, transport problems. Paper foam paper laminate, the paper peels off easily

Bangor b and q stock the black foam underlay in a large size multi sheet pack.

There will be online and model shop suppliers...

Have not watched the video you mention, that bag of sweets will be opened and watched next time I am in the library, a bus ride away.

I hope you will post progress in this thread ?

Clarke y wing section ?

rich

Edited by Rich Griff

I have had a problem with the foam board the paper will not peel off. It has made it very hard to work with and bending is difficult. I have moulded the main fuselage but it is badly out of square. I have moulded the fuselage extention by a different method which has come out well and is square. So I will strip down the original main fuselage and redo it. My glue gun is not good and not helping either! Oh well it's a learning curve.

This project is not difficult but its not without its hiccups. Things come up which can make it difficult by trying to follow some methods shown on utube which don't work out that well . Main problem I have had is the foam board I have got has much heavier paper and it is difficult to remove even using a solvent eg methylated spirits. Plus when folding it is very stiff.  My glue gun has also given me problems when  the trigger mechanism slips and some times doesn't work. You finish up pushing the stick in by hand in a state of panic meanwhile the glue you have already applied cools and goes hard so if you are doing a long strip your in trouble. It can end up with blobs of glue all over the place leaving a mess. I have started to use PVA glue it  makes the job take longer and I have to use some clamps or weights to hold pieces in place  but I can take my time and make sure things in line and tidy. I have built the fuselage but it's not as neat and straight as I would like. I have just bought another piece of foam board so I might remake it. The wings have turned out well they are structurally matching in profile and I have used some light Meranti timber as a stengthenning  brace this is 1.5 its long and is strong enough to brace the wing. I have got a few blobs of glue to remove on the surface of the wing where the ailerons are to go I will carefully  use a soldering iron to soften this and hopefully scrape them off. I also had a problem sticking the tape on the foam board and leaving it neat without wrinkles. Main thing to do it elevate the board and secure it so it can't move and stand at the end off the board pulling the tape straight towards you. There is a good video showing how to do this.  I have ordered my motor 2200kv with 6035 propeller plus 4  9g servos and 30amp  controller I will have to do some lead lengthening I have plenty of light guage wire here and don't mind doing some soldering plus shrink wrapping the joints. I have started to make the motor mount out of some 1/8 inch aluminium plate.  I don't mind the accassional hiccup it's all a learning exercise for me it keeps the brain active at my age 74 yrs old at times it's a challenge.

Bath of hot water helps mpve the paper. Xperimental airlines vidoes are good as you say. I also found flite test videos useful. The master series shows how to create curves in foam board. You can also use it as a spar in wings. Good luck

• Like 1

Used to watch the EA channel when Ed had it ,always good stuff and a nice chap.

Recently the channel has been taken over by Nathan ,AeroFPV ,who is  making aircraft based on Ed`s techniques.

This is Ed(think he was a surgeon?)

handing over the reins:

All the electrics have arrived I spent yesterday extending servo cables soldering bits and pieces. Salvaging some wiring from old computer leads and printed circuit board which had a couple of three pin plugs which I used for the aleron split connection. I tried it all out and it works well so now have to fit servos in wings, tail and elevator. 

IMG_20240414_084351.jpg