Papplewick

Zflyer

Completely off topic. Papplewick Pumping Station. Steaming events throughout the year. And you get to see model steam traction engines and rc boats on the cooling pond. Great day out.

1000000906.jpg

• Like 4

Advert

I haven't visited for some time but it's certainly worth a look.  At one time it was an easy bike ride away for me (I haven't moved - just got older and weaker!).  I did once sail a model yacht there on the cooling pond but there're too many trees for a decent sailing breeze.

There's another steam engine worth a visit on the High Peak Trail at Middleton Top, near Wirksworth. It was used to haul trains up the steep incline.  It's not all thatfar from Papplewick.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can a Kawasaki (or any Japanese motorcycle) be rated as a 'classic'? 🙂  My 84 years are showing, I fear.  It might be more appropriate to you in your Windymiller persona, to attend a classic bike meeting at our local 6 sail working mill in Heage, not all that far from Papplewick.  Not sure if they still happen but Ellen McAthur (round-the world sailor, who originates just 5 miles away from Heage) turned up on a BSA Bantam (IIRC) a few years back. She had 'L' plates on.

Im sure the same could be said of a spitfire, not being built by the wright bros so not a classic.  Not seen the Heage bike show for a while so no chance to wear the windymiller outfit!  Early July i'm at a show at Crich tramway museum.  The kawasaki triples club will be next to the vincent owners club (by invite!) so they must like us!!!  

Not been to Crich Tramway museum for many years - cycled past it loads of times and the Crich Stand memorial is a local landmark.  We used to ride our vintage motorcycles there because we got in free at August BH show (1932 600cc Scott for me and 1928 250cc Raleigh for my wife). It's only about 4miles but very hilly. It's funny how locals never bother with venues on their doorstep that others travel miles to visit.  Like Chatsworth House  - last visit to the house itself before we were married in 1967 but cycled past it countless times 🙂

Old Kawasaki and Yamaha bikes are definitely classics . Love them or hate them they changed biking IMO for the better . No oil leaks, nothing falls off after a few miles and they start mostly every time.

We know there is a definitve criteria for vintage and veteran vehicles set by the AA/RAC but classic is a bit more vague. DVLA class cars of 40 years old as classics but certain insurance companies will include cars and bikes of 20 -25 years in classic insurance and even give agreed value cover. 

Surely any car or bike out of production for ten-20  years or so can be classed as a classic by any group of enthusiasts who keep them on the road ? 

I have a 25 year old XK8 and to me its a classic but to many its just an old Jag ,but then I'm an old Jag driver and I'm definitely in the Vintage bracket 🙂

Why dont organisers of these meets just put a proviso of " any vehicle more than - -  years old welcome" 

As Geoff says folk who live near these wonderful places hardly ever visit them . Could it be that the drive / journey is all parf of the day out experience ?

Ps re old Jags . Dont buy one unless your handy with the spanners and can weld and paint. Guess how I know 😶

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

I have a 25 year old XK8 and to me its a classic but to many its just an old Jag ,but then I'm an old Jag driver and I'm definitely in the Vintage bracket

I also have one, a LHD convertible, costs me an arm and a leg to keep it on the road, but gives me a priceless smile when I am out in it.

• Like 1

talking about old stuff,a few weeks ago i went along the road from us to see Donald Campbells restored Bluebird K7 set off on its journey to Coniston's Ruskin Museum...it crashed in 1967 during a record attempt(DMC losing his life)...recovered and restored by the Bluebird Project in North Shields.

ken anderson....ne....1....DMC British Legend dept.

P1080290.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, I remember the occasion. It was horrific. Campbell was aware that things were not going to plan as it lifted and overturned, killing him.

1 hour ago, Engine Doctor said:

Old Kawasaki and Yamaha bikes are definitely classics . Love them or hate them they changed biking IMO for the better . No oil leaks, nothing falls off after a few miles and they start mostly every time.

You're certainly right about that.  The fastest, smoothest bike I had was a Suzuki GS500e.  OTOH my brand new BSA Lightning 650 back in 1965 vibrated so much you couldn't read the motorway signposts at 90mph and threw itself apart on several occasions.  My new girlfriend back then had a new Mini and still a learner and she generously lent it to me to take the engine back to BSA - we've been married since 1967 🙂   I had an interview Umberslade Hall working for BSA in 1970 and none of the people interviewing me actually rode bikes - they didn't realise how bad they were.  It all fell apart shortly after that and the job offer was (fortunately) withdrawn.

• Like 2