Advice on Four Strokes for Newbie

Andy-H

Advert

Thanks again. As regards fuel, Jon suggested above using fuel with 5% nitro & 15% fully synthetic oil content. Is this a stock off the shelf product or would it need to be specially ordered ? I called SMC with a general enquiry and they suggested Duraglow 5% or 10% but that seems to have 6% castor oil content which I’m keen to avoid.

Don't for

13 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Here we go again,,,😨

100 pages on fuel,,,,🤢

Most fuels are good, a good all around mix for ALL 4 strokes especially the older ones is 10% nitro and 15% oil including in that a bit of caster.

Don't forget the caster as without it your engine won't gum up properly 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Yes, but without it, I will be going back to change the bearings on my 4 strokes every 2 years.

Then you are doing something wrong. I have never had a set of bearings go that quickly even in my especially vulnerable os FF240. Its 6 years into its set of bearings i think and its still fine. I use no castor, no after run... 

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Yes, but without it, I will be going back to change the bearings on my 4 strokes every 2 years. 😡

Every two years ? Really. I ran a Saito 45 for five years on one set and a ys 63 for longer with no bproblems . All my fuel is synthetic based , never use castor except in old engines and diesels with iron pistons / liners. 

Edited by Engine Doctor

My saito's have been running for around 30 years, and only needing piston rings ( 3 x .45s and 1 x .45 std ) all run with at least 2% castor, I ran My Enya .90 and 120 on synthetic only fuel and they both needed replacement bearings in a very short time.

Don't forget that I live in the south of France and fly mostly ever other day,,,

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

6 years means nothing, How many hours of running ?.

hours mean nothing. model engine bearings almost never wear out, its always rust. In fact an engine run often will easy out last one that is run infrequently.