FlySkyi6

Hi all, Cannot find suitable info on how to do a range check on this radio other than a long walk.  Has any have a better idea ?  Also what is actually meant by “full range”.  Thank you.

Advert

WOW, what a great idea Phil. Distance is the key.  I don’t know about a channel indicator, but I could easily set up a led and battery circuit and clip leds to control surfaces in turn.  Thank. You. Eric

4 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I think lots of FlySky stuff sends the voltage at the rx back to the tx, and displays it on screen. Switch your model on, walk away and check that it's displayed - if it disappears, you're out of range.....

Receiver to transmitter range isnt the same thing, telemetry sent at a much lower power level  🙂

I had this problem when I took a FlySky FS-i6 to our club for the first time and wasn't allowed to fly.  The site rep was adamant that I would need to do a range check, so on the next visit we did a full range check, before other flying started.

This was my report to the committee following the test:

"...we conducted a full-power range check of my FlySky transmitter & receiver.  This demonstrated the range at approx 6ft off the ground to be as shown in the photo below.  The distance quoted is by scaling from Google Maps, so should not be considered especially accurate.

Transmitter:  Flysky FS-i6 2.4GHz

Transmitter Battery Voltage: 6V

Receiver:  Flysky FS-R6B

Receiver Battery Voltage: 6V

Transmission Protocol: AFDHS (Automatic Frequency Hopping Digital System) 
This is FlySky's original protocol, not the later AFDHS2A

Weather Conditions: Dry

Grass Length: 300 to 400mm (12" to 16")

Test Result

With the transmitter and receiver located in the positions pictured below, the model functioned normally with the transmitter at head height, however the signal was intermittent with the transmitter held at waist height.  Given the grass length and its moisture content, this may have attenuated the signal.

The model was supported off the ground for the tests.

The test was repeated with the receiver aerial side on and end on.
Controls (Ailerons, Elevator, Throttle & Rudder) were tested individually, then all together.

Conclusion:  The test was considered a pass.

1082021509_FlySkyFS-i6FullRangeTest.jpg.8c6586b3f8d9d22bb3435be2a1d5cd12.jpg

17 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

I had this problem when I took a FlySky FS-i6 to our club for the first time and wasn't allowed to fly.  The site rep was adamant that I would need to do a range check, so on the next visit we did a full range check, before other flying started.

This was my report to the committee following the test:

"...we conducted a full-power range check of my FlySky transmitter & receiver.  This demonstrated the range at approx 6ft off the ground to be as shown in the photo below.  The distance quoted is by scaling from Google Maps, so should not be considered especially accurate.

Transmitter:  Flysky FS-i6 2.4GHz

Transmitter Battery Voltage: 6V

Receiver:  Flysky FS-R6B

Receiver Battery Voltage: 6V

Transmission Protocol: AFDHS (Automatic Frequency Hopping Digital System) 
This is FlySky's original protocol, not the later AFDHS2A

Weather Conditions: Dry

Grass Length: 300 to 400mm (12" to 16")

Test Result

With the transmitter and receiver located in the positions pictured below, the model functioned normally with the transmitter at head height, however the signal was intermittent with the transmitter held at waist height.  Given the grass length and its moisture content, this may have attenuated the signal.

The model was supported off the ground for the tests.

The test was repeated with the receiver aerial side on and end on.
Controls (Ailerons, Elevator, Throttle & Rudder) were tested individually, then all together.

Conclusion:  The test was considered a pass.

1082021509_FlySkyFS-i6FullRangeTest.jpg.8c6586b3f8d9d22bb3435be2a1d5cd12.jpg

That's mental that they just stopped you flying - the FlySky stuff is CE marked (I had to look it up to be allowed to fly at Shuttleworth on a model weekend). 

8 hours ago, payneib said:

That's mental that they just stopped you flying - the FlySky stuff is CE marked (I had to look it up to be allowed to fly at Shuttleworth on a model weekend). 

Its a military airfield and the club do tend to be cautious as it wouldn't take much for us to lose the very good site.  I was pretty peeved at the time, as I had just changed from Spektrum, as satellite receivers are mandatory on them in the club, and it that was a whole load of extra expense I didn't want.  Anyway the full-range check did give me some peace of mind, as, with ground attenuation taken into account, the range in the air must be pretty good.

21 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

Its a military airfield and the club do tend to be cautious as it wouldn't take much for us to lose the very good site.  I was pretty peeved at the time, as I had just changed from Spektrum, as satellite receivers are mandatory on them in the club, and it that was a whole load of extra expense I didn't want.  Anyway the full-range check did give me some peace of mind, as, with ground attenuation taken into account, the range in the air must be pretty good.

I started off with FlySky, and still have two for buddy boxing with my kids. The only problem I've ever had with them, is the AA batteries - do not take off if it's showing half on the "battery-o-meter" on the main screen. I was lucky the one time I got caught out, and I was flying a free flight/RC conversion that happily landed itself not too far away. Range is fantastic, reception is fantastic, the voltage sensors for your electric planes are brilliant. If it does everything you need it to, you've definitely got nothing to worry about. 👍