Are You Qualified

David Ridgeon

From a modeling point of view who or what isa Boring Old Fart?
I have seen references on this forum to BOFs.
Perhaps you have to be say over 47 maybee set in your ways in traditional aeromodelling rather han ARTF or electric flight. A boring old fart is cool to another BOF (they understand one another)
Consider this thread a way to define your version or definition of a BOF

If you are a BOF what qualifies You are you proud of it etc

Advert

Oh I think I can allow fart Erfolg..... surprised that it is considered offensive, and if indeed there is a huge swell of protest, then I shall neck it.
We will see "which way the wind blows"
I, like Doug, am also the "wrong" side of 47 but consider myself neither old or boring.
The rest of the retirement home residents may however disagree

Sign me up! Over 47 (why 47?) and modelling since 10 years old. Definite preference for traditional building, can't get on with ARTFs or foam (the only weakness in my wonderful Wot 4 is the lousy foam wing), but I am dabbling in electric flight, partially for practical issues relating to where I fly, partially because it seems to the area where there are more trad builders active, and partially because I rather like my models still smelling of wood & dope five after 5 years use.

Maybe I qualify at 71, I hope not.

My own definition would be one of the older members who is always talking about it but never builds model or flies one.

As for "fart", If the BBC can allow it in sensible programs before the watershed who can object. And I am not talking about some of their overpaid cretinous presenters who lack two brain cells to rub together to strike a spark of intelligence.

during the late 60's when i and all my friend's were running around looking like shirley temple-we/i thought it would be horrible if you were 30-40--well past your use by date-now i'm late 50's - three kid's later - a grandad to be - retired - but inside i'm still the long haired anything for a laugh - riding motorcycle - chasing the chick's - getting drunk - rebellious young thing---so if a bof is the definition of getting older is the order of the day so be it--i'm a member..............but fortunatley you can't judge a book by it's cover.....there's many a good tune played on an old fiddle--just i like the rest could do with some new string's....................................

young ken anderson..........................

Yes I know Peter, but making decisions on this sort of issue here is always a lose-lose situation - I try to be sensible without being overly strict. I have had a guy leave the forum entirely because I edited out - politely and with humour I may add -  a mild swear word  (same word as what you get if you cut your finger )
He left with a bang too, insinuating I was akin to a certain radical german leader of times gone by.
I swear like the fishwifes mafia cousin m'self, but we do try to keep this a child friendly board, and if I didnt edit sometimes, no doubt the parents would be on to me. 
No matter what you do, someone always considers it the wrong action.

Still child friendly fellas! May it just be me, because im 40 years younger, that BOF means some one of extreme intelligence and has decided that they wanna be complete anti-social in the way they prove thier intelligence! But BOF as in Boring old 'BEEP' might be someone over 60 and isn't involved in Modelflying! . Keep you all happy!

Ben (BOF as in neither sense!)

BOF only nods in the direction of age, could be 45 could be 75. even some 30+ have reached that status. To me it is someone who gets narrow minded in thier social interaction, especially thier ability to think one viewpoint, thiers, is the only one..
If you don't agree with me it's time to grow up and get some sense into your stupid head. 

Ah Doug, a man after my own heart! Someone who can't stand male bovine by product.( I do hope that hasn't offended anyone!)

Perhaps we should define BOF as "boring old trouser cough" which was even acceptable to Victorian ladies.

Actually, thinking about it, I could define myself as a BMOB.

I would define that but it would give some of our more sensitive readers a fit of the vapours.

I do wonder how they would have reacted to the RAF drill instructors we had back in the 50s.