SebArt Shark

Roy Wellington

Has anyone  out there got a Shark 30E?  If so could you please let me know if the battery compartment size will take 4300 batteries weighing 375 gms, measuring 150mm x 55mm x 30mm.  I have acquired these Lipos and have been thinking of purchasing the Shark 30E,  but before I do, I need to be sure theywill fit.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 04/04/2013 08:41:07

I normally use 3300mah batteries in my Shark but I also have a Rhino 3700mah which weighs 340g and is 150x50x22mm
The 150mm length is a bit tight but it does fit in,the other dimensions or the extra weight will not be a problem.
Go ahead and get one, they flies superbly. do not be tempted to leave off the slats or the forward fin as without them, i'm told, it can be a pig.
I tried it without the forward fin (knocked it off in transit) and I really noticed the difference

Edited By Chris Dickens on 24/03/2009 14:40:07

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 04/04/2013 08:41:20

• 6 months later...

Your forgiven   yes I had read that in the june issue (see i do look) but its always nice to get other members perseptive  on a model  as I have a E-max  that i,m hoping to use  just looking for as many views as posable.

Martyn

BTW the back issue is good saves me geting into the atic for information. 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 04/04/2013 08:42:18

• 4 months later...
Hi,

I am that reviwer !

I am afraid I can't do a follow up review on the Seb Art Shark as it has now gone to a new owner. I would have every confidence that the model will provide lengthy service though.

I have a Seb Art Katana 30 which is in it's third year of heavy useage by me and my son Bradley. The only fault that has ever occurred with this model was damage to the UC mount in common with many ARTF models. I am friendly with the "new" distributors of Seb Art in the UK and I know there are some exciting new models from Seb Art coming. look out for them.

Colin Fretwell.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 04/04/2013 08:42:50

• 11 months later...
Has  anyone removed the L/E slats from this model. The reason I am asking is that the roll rate on my Shark is very slow even after fitting good quality sevos and reprofiling the L/E of the ailerons to give more travel. I am loath to remove the slats if that will not improve the roll rate, as I like the look of the model as it is.
Thanks
Alan 

Alan,

I reviewed the Shark back in 2009 for RCME. I flew the review model without the LE slats initially and can not recall any reduction in the roll rate with the slats fitted. The most significant difference I found was that adverse yaw was present with the slats fitted needing coordinated rudder to combat this. I preferred the Shark without the slats. Intrigingly I aslo flew a friends Shark with slats fitted and this did not exhibit adverse yaw. I did not investigate this and can only imagine it may have been some function of CofG variation though I admit I am not convinced by this arguement.

Have you considered sealing the aileron hinge line as this may improve the roll rate ?

Good luck.

Colin.

• 4 months later...
Hi

Reviving and old thread.

Can anyone tell me what servos they used for Rudder and Elevator in the Sebart Shark S? I purchased Hitec HS-65HB as recommended but they are to deep to fit in the fuselage.

I read Collin's review and see he had the same problem with the HS-65's I could do the same as Colin and pack them out, But as I'm also building (sorry assembling) another Sebart ( Sukhoi 29S) I could use them in that and get the correct size for the Shark!

Was looking at Hitec HS-504HB Here but can't get the exact size from anywhere, it looks like the fixing point is halfway down the servo which may do the trick

JC

Thanks Oily

Yes, not going to spend that much on a couple of servos for a Trainer, even if it is a Sebart!

Ordered these Here not arrived yet hoping they might do the trick, the mounts look like there are about a third of the way down the servo which should help!

Trying to get it up and running on parts I have to hand. Managed to reverse the shaft on an E-Max 2826/06 950Kv 45 amp Hoping that's going to give me 500 watts + on 3S with a 13X6.5 prop, mind you the battery compartment is generous I could get a 4S 3700mah I have used that combination before and get over 700 watts!
What do you think?

JC

Yes I did notice that, shame the HS-65's don't really fit without messing about they are a nice servo.

But in the end it is a trainer and will be flown like a trainer most of the time so I don't really see the toque as much as a problem.

Having said that not sure I would use them in my Sukhoi 29S!

JC

cant the servo holes be opened out for nice cheap simple futaba 3003s? or 148s? having seen one of these at the field, its lighter, but no smaller than the usual trainers, why does it want such fussy servos? thats the atraction of a trainer, cheap as chips, not 160 quids worth of servos!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Update:-

Well finished my 'Shark' In the end I fitted Hitec HS65HD servos all round it does mean packing the Rudder and Elevator servos out a bit as the fuselage is very narrow towards the rear.

The Maiden flight was with the recommended 3 cell and a 14X8 prop, but I found this just to lethargic, may be fine for a complete beginner as the plane can be flown at unbelievably slow speeds.

I opted for a 4 cell 3700mah with a 12X6 prop (about 750 watts) and this puts the plane into a different league!

It may be an 'Ugly Betty' but this is a top trainer...and them some! Once the basics have been mastered you can move on to practice just about anything, the plane is incredibly stable, almost impossible to stall.

This is certainly not a cheap trainer at £180.00 just for the airframe the finished article is going to be £400 plus! so I guess its going to have a limited market with the newbie. But if you have deep pockets in my opinion this is the one!

JC

• 1 year later...

Hi All

Have a sebart shark with stock setup ie Hacker A30 14L 14 X 7 Prop 40 Amp Pro ESC etc... having bother with motor ie its caput ,my question is I have a Hacker A30 12XL could I use this motor with the same setup as the Hacker A 30 14L? or do I need to change every thing.......Many Thanks in advance Taff

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 04/04/2013 08:40:10