Bjorns 1:9 scale Nijhuis lanc build

Bjorn

Hello, my name is Bjorn and I live in Norway. In september last year I started to build a 1:9 scale Lancaster from Nijhuis plans. Progress has been good and I am almost done with the "put together woodwork", only missing sheeting of the nacelles and cowlings. I have done some modifications from the original plans on all control surfaces to make them more scale in appearance and added flaps. It will be built as a MkIII with the conventional bomb bay and markings will be 550 sqd BQ-B "The phantom of the ruhr". Power will be provided by four O.S .56 FSa four strokes.

More pictures in my album

Last mockup of the Lanc

Edited By Bjorn on 27/03/2009 20:10:19

• 2 weeks later...
More work done. The nacelles and cowlings are coming together

I made a small jig to hold the front plate while building the sides of the cowling

Getting there, the right wing has got ruffly shaped cowlings

Edited By Bjorn on 09/04/2009 23:28:00

• 4 months later...
I've often thought about building a multi-engined model but but have always baulked at the process of getting four engines running the same!

How are the throttles connected, is there a servo for each engine or one between two? If it was one each would you use something like the JR Matchbox to drive them? Also, how is the fuel supply set up, one tank each or one between two? Knowing my luck by the time I'd got number 4 running, number 1 would be out of fuel!

• 3 weeks later...
The throttles will be controlled by one servo each and will be connected to separate channels  on the radio. This way it is quite easy to do adjustments on each motor. Fuel will also be one tank per motor

Last thing done now is that servos is being installed into the left wing.

First testing of the flaps

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it is quite big and my car is getting a little small for this bird, but in theory it should fit into my Renault Laguna stationwagon. The wings split at the fuselage sides and I have made the stab so it is easy to remove the fins. The whole unit is detachable from the fuselage, leaving a 2,3 meter fuselage (balsatube more or less) without anything that takes up width. So if I put the wings at the bottom and hang the fuse in the roof it should be ok

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Assembeled for the first time at the flying club. Did some engine adjustments and some taxi trials, so all the loose bits could fall off. and they did ofcourse And what a sound from four .56 fourstrokers, pure music

Maiden next, hopefully next week

Edited By Bjorn on 05/08/2010 16:30:11

Edited By Bjorn on 05/08/2010 16:32:02

Edited By Bjorn on 05/08/2010 16:37:30

Thanks Terry
AUW is 27 lb now but it needs a small lb of lead in the nose to be on the CG marked at the plans. It will be in this state for the rest of this season, getting a little bit familiar with the english lady before doing the last details and painting. Maiden will be in the beginning of next week if the weather holds

Successfull maiden today

She really flies beautifully, this was my first attempt on four engines and the biggest plane for me so far. I am really surprized that a plane of this size is so smooth to handle, and quite responsive on all controls as well.

Will link up a video soon