Isn't aeromodelling therapeutic ?

Myron Beaumont

Am sticking all sorts of decals/transfers  on my models ready for when the wind drops a bit . I have the 24 hr news on the TV for the first time & suddenly thought "aren't  I lucky".?
All these world problems & I'm sat here enjoying myself thinking positive -waiting to get out -meet some new friends in the local clubs (apart from Ken of course )

Summer is on the way -I have some more gear on the way (2.4 stuff hopefully tomorrow )-What more could one ask for . ? ( save me swopping my limited Rx's around)
As a pensioner I've realised that  controlling money input & out put  is working out having spent most of my life enjoying playing music for a small (relatively) income in some of the best parts of the UK .ie Cornwall
I wish I hadn't stopped aeromodelling for so long actually .now back where I started as a child .Anybody feel like me ?

Advert

My wife says I'm always moaning ! ............usually about the wind, weather and lack of time to fly, calls me a geek, and always raises her eyebrows and turns the volume up on the TV at the slightest mention of anything flying related.

At my field often in the week I can be the only one there, it's relataively isolated, away from houses and traffic, and very therapeutic indeed ! 

Anyone else called a geek ! ?

My son keeps going on about the credit crunch because I've had to tell him things are not quite as easy as they use to be. But I look at life from the perspective of what I have not what I would like to have. Good for body and soul.

As for nerds/geeks, all modellers are anoraks, all pilots are anoraks with money (apart from flying instructors who are anoraks with no money). I often hear the gender thing, boys into flying girls not. Truth is it works exactly the same other way. Hubby glazes over a the slightest mention of flying. Has only flown with me once, lasted no longer than a circuit, he had already turned green and decided that was quite enough (and this on a flat calm day!) I have a particularly nice anorak myself with lots of buttons.

But I do have a shed full of models, my health (well most of it) and 50 billion references for the BV 138. Each day as I sit here scratching my head wondering just how was that compound curve defined, I think to the warm summers day when the prototype is sitting on the water, waiting for full throttle!

I can't help looking back to when I was little and use to buy a sheet of balsa a month and cut out profile indoor chuck gliders of B-17's and all manner of things (the balloon popping F-16 with a pin in the nose was always fun! Imagine H&S these days!) - how many times have I looked back to those days with a smile... ah well the credit crunch has put right back there, felt tip pens replaced by a dedicated CAD computer that has sat unused for many years... life is pretty good really

Aeromodelling is therapeutic. In the days when I had to wrk I could come home really up tight and cross. An hour in the workshop and I was as human as I will ever be,

Nerd, Geek? I am an aeromodeller, I don't care what people call me.

Mind you, it is funny how the people who make fun of aeromodellers don't like it back.

A couple of people have taken the P...micky in in particular the past, a football fanatic and a fisherman.

I told one that footbal was twenty two over paid louts kicking a lump of leather round a field. I gave the angler my definitaion of a fishing line. A bit of string with a worm on both ends.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I'm absolutely with Peter and others, in that modelling is therapeutic as are a lot of other pastimes or hobbies. It's what floats your boat. I've tried fishing and for me it's a load of carp just like one jerk waiting on the end of a line waiting for another jerk, but everyone to his or her own. As long as I've got a shed to  to follow my preferd pastime, then I'm happy.

Cheers,

Chris.

Al,

I tend to find that in any pastime, and I assume rightly or wrongly so do many others. As far as I'l concerned, they are the loosers. The breadth of knowledge and experience that we have stands us above the more narrow minded amongst us. I'm more than happy to accept advise in the spirit in which it is given, and to share my knowledge and experience with others provided they want it, and will not be offended if they do not. What I can't abide is intolerance and snobbery. We all do what we do for enjoyment and self satisfaction, at the level that we feel comfortable with, when that stops I'll give up and move on to some thing else.

I'll get me coat,

Chris.

Hell yeh am I a geek! And proud to be one! Tiz why my friends like me . . .

My life kinda orientates around planes, and at the moment the closest I get to planes is through R/C. That'll all change when I leave school though! Big Jets and Noisy Turboprops here I come!

Its good fun, it doesn't hurt anyone (well not regularly) it does not, or should not, involve drugs and drink.
My wife moans at me if i spend £300 getting a plane into the air, i brought her down to earth with a statement about our open fly in the sunday gone.
A chap brings out this plane. very large Yak 54 from Extreme Flight. Big petrol large digital servo's the lot. Starts up, takes off loops to the left comes in for a fast low pass ------------- TREE we shout, BANG goes plane it starts to rain conffetti of film and balsa. everyone is silenced, stunned.
Chap shrugs his shoulders, "didn't see the tree" he says. (i must point out at this time the tree had the field wind sock out the top of it). Thankfully most of the important stuff seems to have survived.
As he's packing the bits away i am talking to his friend who infoms me that this plane cost near on three grand to put up.!!!!!!!! £3,000 my wife shut up after that!

Peter
Ours is a hobby where you can find a niche to fit your pocket is it not & if you've got loads of dosh it seems most peeps go for bigger & bigger still' It's knowing when to stop but that would spoil the fun ! All a question of priorities over luxuries like sticky buns & other foodstuffs .
G-UMPY
Don't forget---Vote for ARTFAG!!  SOON

Good on yer Doug,

Enjoy what you have. Its no good looking back. I have a mate who has only one eye, and who rides a bike only half the size of mine. The last time we went for a ride together, he rode the wheels off me and a lot of others, this is because he had learned to cope with his particular impairment. He was smooth without being mentally fast, and covered more road, quicker than the rest of us. I learned a lot from him. It's not about being the best, it's about trying to be the best with what you have and enjoying it. Without that there is no point. Move on.

David,

If I could spend £3000 on a model, and not care if I trashed it, I would have retired years ago. I still have a mortgage, a daughter who is looking to take on a mortgage with a prospective son in law, which will keep me working for another few years. But S*D it,  I can still afford to enjoy myself with "My" chosen pastime , (work life balance permitting). And I'm happy with what I have, and it's not always been this easy. Others may not be so fortunate, but to my mind they have my respect, enjoying themselves with what they have, (and I have no intention of being patronising and appologise sincerely if thats the way it comes acrcoss). But do what you enjoy with your chosen pastime with what you have, and S*D the rest.

Cheers,

Chris

I couldn't agree more Chris,
Surely this guy must have been agreaved, i would have been weeping, but then i suppose you go with what you can afford and i can't afford a lot but i have great fun with what i have. I take great pleasure in watching others do the same thing. i was devestated when this guy crashed the plane but he carried on and flew a nice cap with smoke and a lovely cessna 310 twin which sounded sweet with two four strokes in it. I guess no amount of crying will change the fact that the plane is gone he just got on with it. 

Hi all
If doing things with planes or heli's is giving all these other people so much fun, this can only be a good thing, yes I am a nerd, boffin, call it what you will,so I just love all things flying and mechanical so I have always been this way and when I am flying my life seams just that little bit more level and carm.
happy days Owen.