The Cafe

Former Member

Advert

My tastes don't seem to fit in here, thinks I used to go and see were Jetro Tull, Hawkwind, Strawbs, Barcl(a)y James Harvest. I think my favourite was Jethro Tull in Plymouth, the first or second live performance of Thick as a Brick.

My tastes now are from classical to charts, with a definite NO to rap! Particularly like Dave Brubeck when in the mood for jazz.

ACtually, I have gone the other way, after playing music for 30yrs, the ears have got tierd of it, not to say that I still don't enjoy a nice track, every now and then, I don't even have a thing ( what ever they call them nowdays )  that plays music, but, silence is gre....golden, quitar still sits there and ......oh well..NOW that dh103 needs some attention....
A.A

Edited By A.A. Barry on 12/10/2010 13:48:14

Posted by Marc Humphries on 12/10/2010 13:19:20:
Posted by Big Bandit on 12/10/2010 13:09:53:
Marc,

The Classic albums I have is Dark Side of the Moon, and Who's next both brilliant. The best live album has got to be Live at Leeds(full session).

Chris.

See!  Another old prog rocker...

add me too! Favourite bands are still Yes, ELP etc. During their recent tour I saw Yes in London, Birmingham and Liverpool all in the space of one week!

Must be some connection between Prog Rock and model aeroplanes - of course it could alternatively just be a "bright, technically orientated 50 something" thing

BEB

OMG!  My threads may have been open to some misfortunate misinterpretation...

For the avoidance of any doubt...

Bands like Yes, ELP etc are just plain wrong.

It was pretentious twaddle like singing about pixies and hobbits - coupled with 20 minute guitar solos that alienated teens in the 70s and gave rise to punk.  Whatever your views on this - punk was a very democratic movement where anyone could pick up a guitar and have a bash - a bit like the beat groups in the 60s.

And just on the cusp of punk was the truly wonderful Dr Feelgood.  Hey Myron - bet you wish you could play rhythm and lead together like Wilko Johnson can.  Enjoy!

Posted by Steve W-O on 12/10/2010 13:38:59:
My tastes don't seem to fit in here, thinks I used to go and see were Jetro Tull, Hawkwind, Strawbs, Barcl(a)y James Harvest. I think my favourite was Jethro Tull in Plymouth, the first or second live performance of Thick as a Brick.

My tastes now are from classical to charts, with a definite NO to rap! Particularly like Dave Brubeck when in the mood for jazz.

I can go along with a lot of that. Jethro Tull - saw them last year - excellent, as ever. I used to like BJH in their earlier days - I was at the Liverpool Stadium when they recorded the live album there in the 70's (I was quite young at the time! Honest)

I liked the Strawbs - of course there was the Rick Wakeman link to Yes! But Hawkwind was never one of my favourites.

Agree about Dave Brubeck - very cool when you're in the mood.

BEB

Posted by Marc Humphries on 12/10/2010 15:02:10:
OMG!  My threads may have been open to some misfortunate misinterpretation...

For the avoidance of any doubt...

Bands like Yes, ELP etc are just plain wrong.

It was pretentious twaddle like singing about pixies and hobbits - coupled with 20 minute guitar solos that alienated teens in the 70s and gave rise to punk.   

Never mind Marc - you'll find that with maturity comes wisdom and, if you're lucky, tolerance of other peoiple's tastes.

BEB

Marc
Just watched that . You have to be joking -Don't you ? Going back to "Play in a day " it just about sums it up .Anyway ,as long as you enjoy what you enjoy then I suppose that's what It's all about .
I shall not comment anymore ,I've heard it all now. By the way -my final word-I'm at the moment practicing Beethovens 4th piano concerto in G on my keyboard simply 'cos it's not possible on any guitar

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother on 12/10/2010 14:22:06:

add me too! Favourite bands are still Yes, ELP etc. During their recent tour I saw Yes in London, Birmingham and Liverpool all in the space of one week!

I've never quite gone to that extreme - 1 band, 3nights...

I did however go and see Rush play in London (Earls Court?) in the early 80s,  and my girlfriend at the time persuaded me that we really "needed" to drive to Birmingham the following day to see them again.  And so we did.

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 12/10/2010 14:50:16:
I was just thinking! I've never seen a "famous" band and never been to a concert either . Been too busy actually playing !
When was the last time you heard of a drummer actually going to see another one ?

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 12/10/2010 14:51:44

Well, firstly the only music making instrument I can play is a record player, secondly if there was no-one to watch or listen, how long would they last?

And while on the subject of record players, i discovered a few minutes ago I can no longer read the label as it rotates, not even at 33 1/3, never mind 45 (I have only one single left, i gave the rest away when I moved back to the UK)

Okay - so opinion is divided about Wilko Johnson.  99.9% of the greatest living rock guitarists rate him as an innovative player - but Myron doesn't....

Well, I'm off to play Tamacun by Rodrigo y Gabriella - are they any good?

Oh and yes - I can play it.

Edited By Marc Humphries on 12/10/2010 15:51:09

Posted by John Privett on 12/10/2010 15:46:37:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother on 12/10/2010 14:22:06:

my grandad was saying today he could remember seeing these...supporting 'Gracie Field's'...when she did her final farewell tour of the UK......      ..

ken anderson........ne   .1 ..... hendrix forever....