Super Scorpion

Advert

conrad-ken anderson here-i fly a junior 60-3/4 inch will be plenty for sure-the only time you will need that much movement will be on the ground-in the air it will need very little to control it-in fact if you use all of the 3/4 it will be uncontrollable.....same as if you fly to fast they become uncontrollable............

ken anderson...........

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Stephen,

Here are some photos of the finished Super Scorpion (well almost - I still need to glue the bit between the elevators).

It has been shamelessly copied from Tim's scheme. I really like the red solarfilm on the antique solartex. Hope you like the pics and I will keep you posted with regards the maiden flight (hopefully this weekend).

Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way.

Conrad.

Hi Stephen,

Just to let you know that I maidened the Super Scorpion today. Whitby had still air and 19 degrees- a real Indian Summer. Tomorrow looks promising too.

The SS needed no extra weight as I had put the battery under the engine. I got the club safety officer to check out the model - always good to get a second opinion as you can sometimes not see the wood for the trees.

With an all clear I took off. I needed some down trim and a little right to make her fly true. She really was very easy to fly and even with a deadstick on approach, I stll felt totally at ease with this surprisingly responsive model. I sorted the throttle out on the subsequent flights. I wanted a relaxing ' put..put' type of model and I got it with the Super Scorpion. She looks good and flies brilliantly. The OS 40 FS combination works very well.

Thank you to yourself and others who have given advice to me along the way. A great thread, that will help others in the future I'm sure.

Conrad.

Ahhh, the power of the internet!  I've just put my Scorp on charge, it'll go with me to the field later this morning!

Just for those who don't know, my Scorp is actually powered by electricity (12 subC cells to be exact).  I hope this doesn't shock anybody too much.

tim

The original Nicad pack (now replaced by 3500Mah Nimhs).  There's about 1½lb there!  It fits as farwards as possible.  The motor is an Astro 15G, which was the height of sophistication at the time of the build.

This is the concealed hook-up to the rudder and elevator in the rear fuselage.  No protruding horns means that the model can be stripped for transport, without having to worry about puncturing the wing-bag or other models.

Thwing is a two-piece item on my model, and uses an aluminium joiner.  The main spar is of weapons-grade balsa, capped with carbon-fibre rod top and bottom.  The wing halves were built on a 'warped' building board to induce some washout.  The entire trailing edges are laminated from layered strips of 1/16" balsa.

It could be argued that at 4½lb AUW, my Scorp is a bit of a heavyweight, but it's a beautifully smooth performer.
The Astro15G turns an 11x7 prop.  Once airborne, the model flies on a whisper of power.

Thanks for the nice comments fellas. It really is the best feeling when you maiden a model and all that thought and care that went into the build pays off.

Tim, your model is fantastic. Your scheme is very striking and is why I copied it. I also copied your rudder idea, but not for the elevators - I used a snake protruding from the rear of the fus. I hope you have a good day at the field, although for me, the SS might be beaten by the wind here on the coast at Whitby today. Hopefully late afternoon might settle down.

I am so taken by the looks and flying of these models that I am going to build a Ben Buckle Falcon- a 96'' span beast. I feel a build thread coming on.

Hi, yes an 11/6 or7 were in my head before the question was asked, thanks for the info.  I suppose a 4stroke would be the perfect engine for this type of model,but one has to use what we have,and that happens to be an os 40 2stroke.  This thread has re kindled my in interest in this model,and its a pity the winter will be with us soon with its windy days.  flyboy3