Tony Nijhuis Racing Duo

As the above title suggests we have gone away from the ''dogfight double this year and gone for a ''Racing Double'' .
The Comic Wind will feature in the Aug edition and the Mudget Mustang in the Sep edition.

Vac form cowls and dummy engine cheek will be availiable through RCM&E and for those of you don''t want the effort of cutting the bits out and can wait a little while, there will be a cnc pack availiable ''only'' through my web site at www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk a few week after pulication date.

They are both little ''crackers''......I love''m..... prefer the Cosmic wind personally!

Advert

I think if I build one I will christen it 'the Cosmic  F*rt ' just for the fun of it, I hate all these dramatic fancy names some club members think up for what is basically a bag full of wood and stuff, at least it ends up a bag full of stuff if I fly it...........
I ended up with an excellent little construction kit after I put a 'Sparrow' through a chain-link fence at a great rate of knots,

regards,       Terry

There's bag of room in the fus for Lipos and a removable cowl would suit an outrunner on a 'rack' type  mount......I'll ask George at 4-Max to come up with a suitable electric set up and post it on my web site.

I did say this year I would give the IC boys something to get their teeth into..... but hey...you electric guys out there are clever enough to see the posiblities for these little crackers...

Happy Days
Tony

Two questions

- what amount of dihedral is used on the Cosmic Wind? Sorry if I've missed that info but I didn't see it on the plan or article

- plan states a .25 plain bearing motor. I'm just curious why Tony  went to the trouble of specifying that. Can I ask why, and what motor was used in the prototype (OS25LA?)? Builders could obviously fit ballraced motors, move the battery back a bit and accept the higher wing loading. Indeed, many probably will as I guess they'll use whatever spare motor they have to hand.

Lastly, what a brilliant looking little plane it is. Great subject, RCM&E, should be loads of fun

Edited By IanN on 03/07/2009 21:56:07

Edited By IanN on 03/07/2009 21:56:32

Edited By IanN on 03/07/2009 22:00:10

Re the canopy and mouldngs price "correction". I thought the £5 printed in the mag was too good to be true.

But, I can't believe the actual price of £13.99 - plus presumably postage on top - for three bits of plastic. Is this o.t.t., or am I just being unrealistic? What's the mark up on that?

As things stand, I'll make up the cheeks from balsa and will bodge a cut down canopy, either from lms or from what I've got in the shed

I have ordered mouldings and at no time was I told of any price increase.  Checked my bank statement this morning and cost is £16.99. Will be on phone first thing this morning to cancel.

I had hoped to build a nice different model but this amount could  contribute substantially to a ARTF

Maybe on reflection the price might be justified in some ways. I suppose it costs pretty much the same to set up production of an item whether that be a big 'un or a little one, and we've got two different mouldings here, 3 items in total. The other thing that contributes to the perception is the mindset that small/fun should automatically equal cheap. Ain't always necessarily so, I guess
However, the last similar item I bought was a seriously chunky - two piece - abs spinner for a Bristol M1 at £7 (still retails at that price), and that's probably got at least 10 times the raw material in it than these myhobbystore parts will have. In that context, there's no doubt that the accs for these racers do look pricey.

No disincentive to build however. As you rightly say, David, people can sort their own pros and cons out and either buy or make their own as they see fit

Hi David....yeah I tend to agree with you....I just like 4 strokes & a 5cc one!! Well thats just going to be a jewel!!!

I'm trying to get a racing day going at our club for these two.....a bit like the Smart Dart you ran a few years back.....I think it should be quite interesting if we can avoid any first corner carnage!!!

To answer Ian's question the diheadral is aprox 50mm under each wing. The dihedral brace will give you that without worrying about the measurement...
The only reason for suggesting a 25 size plain bearing engine is so builder have a standard engine spec if they wish to race them against club mates....bit unfare if a 25 size goes up against a 32...but any 25 size will do.

Have Fun

With regards to the cowl cheeks and canopy pricing, these models can be as cheap as you wish to build them. My cosmic is 75% built and, with the exception of engine & radio, I have only spent £10 on the 9mm balsa for the wings everything else was left over from previous builds.

For the cowl cheeks and canopy I have carved balsa blanks and used 2 litre pop bottles.
With them being produced from a thermoset plastic, when you apply heat to them, they try and revert to their pre-production state and shrink. All you have to do is control how they shrink and it can be as good as any medium sized vac formed part and the only tool you need is a heat gun, simple and cheap and you can always make replacements as you still have the blank afterwards.

Tommy
Your materials from previous builds are still a cost as you had to buy them in the first instance.

Thought the model would look not to bad without the cowl cheeks but find your method worth an experiment.

Off on holiday for a few weeks now, so not able to experiment

Tony

If built for electric, would there be any benefit froma built up wing (to provide a thicker or more cambered section. The objective being to reduce stalling speed.

I would be thinking along the lines of E205 or even NACA 0012-18.

Erfolg

Hi Tony,
I got the CNC/wood-pack for the Cosmic Wind the other day and am just waiting for the vac-formed bits to arrive. I was a bit miffed at the plans that were sent though as it is for a model of the same name but by a completely different designer! I've emailed "My Hobby Store" and am waiting for a reply.

Quick question, what diameter torque rods do you recommend for the aileron drive?