BMFA news

BB

1st This is not a Political statement.

I know we were for-warned in the previos issue.  But, I feel doing away with obituries and sending them solely to the ether of the internet is wrong.  Maybe, even a little direspectful.

Yes we live in the IT age.  But the printed, dropped through the letter box announcement of a passing of a member of any flyer is important both to those connected to that person and even those who aren't.

So many of these 60,70,80 year olds were pioneers for the sport/hobby we All enjoy today.  Without their previous engineering/tutoring/persevering abilities many would not be as well equiped today in knowledge as they/we currently are.

6 pages devoted to freeflight.  An extremely enjoyable aspect.  Peppered with adverts.  One of these could easily been given over to a even a half page of rememberance for those gone before us.

Sad, very sad.

BB

( Probably wrong for THIS  forum MODS.  Please exscuse me if I have over stepped the mark).

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 23/07/2009 21:38:35

Advert

BB - couldn't agree more.. 

At Blyth Model Club re recently lost a member who had supported the hobby/BMFA for many many years and was one of the best ambassadors we had.  The Chairman and myself felt an obituary was a fitting tribute and it was printed in the very last BMFA news that carried the obit section.

During our discussions with the BMFA they advised us that after this they were going to use the web for Obits.  We pointed out that the BMFA News is the best way of making the majority of the BMFA members aware (ie we all get a copy) and not everyone has internet access.

Unfortunately that fell on deaf ears.  But as if to prove our point a chap from down south had read our obit in the BMFA news and emailed our Chairman to say how the  individual had taught him to fly many moons ago whilst he lived in the North East, the happy memories he had all those years ago, and how sad he was at the news of his passing.

The Chairman took the email to the family who I understand got a lot of comfort from such a simple email, together with the printed article in the BMFA News.

Whilst I embrace technology fully I think like yourself they are doing a great disservice to their Members and like you point one page or so for obits isn't asking much.

Edited By Craig Carr on 23/07/2009 23:28:00

Im not normally a campaigner....what will be,will be, ... so to speak.  But as I get older I am realising how 'more' important it is to recorgnise the steps/ leaps others have taken on my behalf.  In terms of practice & safety & general code of conduct.  I 'm mainly a 'lone' flyer.  But, those gone before me & their 'common sense' approach.  If not teaching me anything new, re-assures me that I am a safe, responsible member of 'OUR', community, near or far.

The BMFA has a consistent membership of 36,000.  This according to my research has remained since apprx 1980 (ish).  In 'really' simple terms that equates to a 50/50 ratio year on year of deaths & births.

For the sake of half a page of a quaterly update I do not think an obitury page is too much to expect.  Im sure come Christmas the magazine will not spare pages to applaud its AGM, with accompying photos of the living.

The more folks express an opinion.  The more likely the situation will change.  I for one will copy&paste Chacksfield House.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 23/07/2009 23:48:08

BB - I whole-heartedly agree with your concern.  I was quite surprised to read in the previous BMFA News that this was going to be their future approach. 

The majority of the obituaries I read in the past were for people I'd never heard of - but that is not the point.  It could be argued that the obituaries are most relevant to our more senior members - as it is more likely to be their acquaintances being honoured.  And arguably it is these more senior members who are less likely to have internet access - or if they do, to restrict themselves to a little emailing and not much more.  (OK - a sweeping generalisation, I agree!) But it is precisely for such people that the obituaries should remain in the printed copy.  IMHO.

I went to North Weald recently on my own.  checked out the stalls.  Watched some great flying.  Got pushed & shoved by those geriatrics seeking a bargain at the bring & buy.  Got taught a few lessons.  Had a few impromptu conversations - Loved every minute of the experience.

Thats the thing - experience !  Its the key of history & knowledge.  Don't matter the individual.  But, if the least you can do is put their name in print, on paper.  Maybe, just maybe someone will save that copy - who saves 'threads except 'servers' ?

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 24/07/2009 00:26:40

Hey BB,

You get my vote, a select few become great to many through thier life time achievements in the sport. A few more become great to a few through dedication and commitment in providing inspiration. A few more even work away in the background, not looking for or wanting any recognition for thier efforts. They are all great to me because they have contributed what they can. they all need to be recognised as equals, and thier passing needs to be made known for what they have achieved and contributed to the sport to all.

BMFA, you need to listen to, and recognise the members who have supported you ! in order to enable you to support them.

Chris.

Not only do a lot of people not have access to the internet, I doubt if the majority of BMFA members ever look at the BMFA website unless they want to check on something and that will be pretty rare. I know that I don't.

Air Mail, the RAFA magazine published alist of every member who has departed this vale of sorrows in every issue, the least the BMFA can do is publish obituaries of a few long term modellers.

If they don't publish mine I will come back and haunt them

THis will be copied to them

I like some of the recent changes to the 'mag'.  Aswell as appreciate the injection of 'new' blood.  Young guns go for it, an all that jazz.

But making changes for changes sake is NOT the answer.

Why in this decision making process someone didn't think of something like, lets say.  Once a year a 'framed' page would be handed over to obits.  How much would this encrouch on the 'new' ideas agenda.

Simon Delaney, have a rethink

Its about, respect, applaud and, thanks for flying with us, have a safe flight and happy landings.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 28/07/2009 10:14:42

Kc

Youv'e got it, why wait till they pop thier clogs, let em know they are appreciated, and Like, BB say's respect. Mind you if you wait till Ken falls of his perch you'll have a long wait, an old flame superglued him to it .

Chris.

Living a charmed life firmly glued to my perch, till  the missus finds the insurance policy.

I sent a copy of my posting to Simon Delaney and here is his reply. I do think he has a point.

RE the obits in BMFA News. I have one page allocated for them. This means 4 blokes can be fitted in. I get more than that over a 2 month period, so someone would have to be missed out, then they could go in next time. This could be 6 months after they're passed on... pretty poor really, as members contact us saying they sent the pic and text in ages ago etc. And quite rightly too. I have been writing to widows etc myself. Some people write literally pages and pages about there fellow departed club mate. Extremely difficult to edit this down as I don't know the guy, but still want to do him justice. Also I have to decide who's more 'worthy' if I have a space issue. Not really my job I'd say. I'm sure all these people have contributed to the hobby/sport greatly.

Putting these in the web means the full monty can be written about them and they are listed for far more time than one issue of the mag. Many peope have also complained about the obits too...
Currently, my thoughts are that I will list the name and club in the Editorial in future, to give some recognition. I haven't seen the RCM&E site but obviously all these people are on the 'net so they could access the BMFA's site if they wished..............

best wishes

Simon Delaney

Editor BMFA News

I have suggested that, like Air Mail, the RAFA mag, He just prints a list of the departed and mentions that the full obituary is on the BMFA website.

Similar to allocating one page a year mentioned in a previous post with a link to the web where club members or family could d/load if they wanted.  Sounds like some positive feedback you got there Peter.

"
Currently, my thoughts are that I will list the name and club in the Editorial in future, to give some recognition. I haven't seen the RCM&E site but obviously all these people are on the 'net so they could access the BMFA's site if they wished.............."

SD

At least something.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 29/07/2009 08:16:31

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 29/07/2009 08:18:24