Covering with Solarfilm

I've also received confirmation from Solarfilm Ltd that Stevens sells authentic Solarfilm and that the lot number on the cardboard roll matches silver Solarfilm, so I do have the real thing.  Now I guess I just have to wait and see what they say when they test the sample I sent.

Andy

Advert

To show that Prymol makes overlaps easy even on  Solarfilm repairs I took a few before and after photos

It is surprising that the Solarfilm instructions advise using Prymol but the  Aerofilm instructions don't mention it.   Obviously if it is dud film then it is of no advantage, but why quibble at spending a little more to buy the recommended product?

Edited By kc on 26/08/2009 18:50:46

Well, one problem I have with having to use Prymol is that I have never had to use anything extra with other types of films to get good bonding to the frame and overlaps.  The other problem is that, after searching the web, I simply can't find a vendor here in the USA.  Maybe it's sold under a different name like AeroFilm.  From what I've read, Prymol contains toluene, which is flammable and toxic.  It's doubtful I would be able to have it shipped from England.  It would probably be much to expensive to ship one little can anyway. 

I've got some lacquer thinner that contains toluene.  Maybe I'll try that tonight just to see if it makes a difference or if it simply melts through the film...

Andy

No, as I said before, Prymol is not essential for Solarfilm but it makes a better bond on many films.  Most people have never used it on Solarfilm.  I think using Prymol will make a film covered model longer lasting.  Of course Prymol is only used to etch the plastic etc and not used on balsa!

It would be quite surprising if Stevens do not sell Prymol which is recommended in the Solarfilm instructions along with Clearcoat.

I tried the lacquer thinner.  As expected, it didn't help.  It did melt the adhesive off the back of the film though.

I can't find Prymol on the Stevens website, or anywhere else in the USA.  I've sent an email to Stevens asking if he carries it and I'm just not finding it.

Andy

I heard from Solarfilm today.  The sample I sent them to test wasn't up to their standards, so they are sending me a replacement roll.  I also heard from Bill Stevens at Stevens Aeromodel.  Based on the description of the problem, he is also sending me a replacement roll.  I didn't expect to get two replacements, but I won't complain.

Both companies have provided excellent, fast support.  I'm very pleased with both of them.  I suspect that when I receive my replacements, I'll find that I have no more problems.

Andy

AJ

I am pleased that your issues have been resolved.

My own have not. Again Solarfilm has decided to peel back, this time by a significant amount. I have photographed it and intend posting it in the next few days, along with an image of a similar pack, bought at the same time.

I am not a happy bunny at all.

Erfolg

I cut and pasted the link so I don't know why it fails to work.
It was in the Building Kits& Plans forum as Sealing Solarfilm Overlaps.

It shows an experiment in repairing an old oil soaked wing which I did last week and photographed before and after.

Edited By kc on 04/09/2009 10:32:56

Edited By kc on 04/09/2009 10:36:42

Edited By kc on 04/09/2009 10:40:19

As promised, a picture, of Solarfilm, which has peeled back, during flight. This very nearly came to a crash, as the model responded very poorly to control inputs.

First one panel peeled, and now the second panel. I have stuck it back on using a surgestion from a club member and a thread contributer, with PVA Resin W. Allowing the glue to dry on the wood, then ironing on. It seems to work!

To say i am very dissapointed with the poor quality of Solarfilm, would understate, how I really feel. It will be the budget stuff from GC as my next film purchase.

Erfolg

i too have used numerous films and solarfilm is as good as any other and better than most, i recently purchased some film from a reputable supplier as i was told its the same stuff they use on the world models range of kits, so i bought it, i can honestly say its the worst  i have ever come across the sensativity to temperature is far too narrow it does not stick at all to other films and the adhesive of its own is rubbish as well, so back to solarfilm and profilm for me

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 10/09/2009 17:05:39

• 4 weeks later...
I have used Solafilm as this is what the local model shop supplies as he is a tied model shop to a big UK distributor and stocks what he is told to stock. I find it at best adiquate but no where as good as other films that are avaliable.
Ultracote gets my vote it sticks better goes round corners better and does not get those annoying wrinkles. I know there are peolpe that love the stuff but I am not one of them.
I'll try the PVA trick as the area that needs to be covered is at the front and seems have residue in the wood from the engine. or Prymol if I can get hold of it locally otherwise I'll get a proper film that does what it is supposed to do.

Hi Ralph,
Solartex is much easier to apply, if you are happy with the fabric type finish, Also, it is matt in it's natural state.
For a gloss finish, I find Profilm the easiest to apply.
But,  you can get excellent results, with Solarfilm, it's all about fastidious preparation,
and following the instructions, especially regarding iron temperature

ernie 

If anyone needs proof of how good Solarfilm can be in the right hands...then look no further than this. Phil has obviously mastered this, and I assure you it looks even better in the flesh. Even the compound curves etc are superb...not a wrinkle or a crease anywhere.
You would swear blind it was gloss paint - simply excellent, which proves that the material / product itself is not the issue....its the way its used.

used solarfilm for years and if applied correctly you get a great finish same for all films, the only poor one i have come across is the film used on world models stuff and thats only because of lack of adhesion to itself (on overlaps etc) and the dark colurs really wrinkle badly in the heat!!
Far worse than any other film i have ever used, all the rest really good, still use solarfilm for the majority just on cost grounds

Edited By Lee Smalley on 05/10/2009 21:31:00

I've still got lots of old Solarfilm in stock, the remnants of material used to build former models. I found that the covering would ripple in strong sunshine. I still use this old stock because I'm on a limited budget. Maybe I was doing something wrong but years ago I bought a German product, Profilm, sold as Oracover in the USA and elsewhere. I've never had any trouble using this product so continue to buy it in preference to Solarfilm. I understand that Solarfilm have changed their formula and it is now much more like Profilm today, but I'll stick with what's tried and trusted.

On the other hand I use Solartex on most of my larger models and would recommend the product unreservedly. 

If memory serves me correctly Derek Hardman of Solarfilm advised during his demonstrations of covering at the Sandown Show years ago that the rippling in sunshine was due to excessive heat used during covering. Especially heat guns are the culprit.
I have never experienced this rippling probably due to following his advice.

• 2 weeks later...
Have used solarfilm and tex...... never had an issue. Would love to try profilm as I hear it gets around curves even easier. The only time i ever used prymol was to join two colours over open structure. If it had been on a foam wing, i.e fully supported underneath, I wouldn't have used it at all. I have generally found it to be pretty forgiving on heat settings, but does leave traces of its colour on the sole of the iron. Prob just my bad technique