Price of wood propellers.

Paul  Williams

Just been into my local model shop and nearly fainted when he required £15 for a 16" wood prop. I like to support local trade but not at that price or am I out of date with prices?

I was browsing the other week and found a company that will sell direct to public but forgot to bookmark page and can't find it now.

Help please

Advert

Didn't know they were just for electric . Paul doesn't actually say whether he wants them for IC or electric though. alshobbies list a 16x8 RCGF prop at £6.99, but a 22x8 is £19.99! Either a very good buy or they're missing a 1 before the 6.99 bitTJD models have JXF 'gas' props, presumably for IC or petrol power. There's a 16x6 or 16x8

some how I can't see myself sat carving away like rambo at the flying field, could be a good way to keeping down the trees that get in my way though. when I read manufactors articles about the presision CNC methods used to produce these props its kinda hard to get my head round carving one plus time factors. Point me to the article please I have most back copies it might change my mind.
I spent another hour searching for the web site I found some weeks ago its so annoying not to find it again, they were selling all sizes of beechwood props for around 3 quid.

You don't know how close you are with that statement! I landed my extra a couple of weeks ago right at the top of a tree I could have sworn I was in front of. Any help was not forth coming due to laughter. It must be 25 years since I climbed a tree I nearly gave up but managed it, its not a knive I require but a chainsaw.

Hi Andy, I not only suggest that you try carving your own props I can assure you that I do it ! As simon says it isn't easy but it can be done if you follow the "WOO'S" instructions. I can't tell which issue the article was featured but my offer to send you a copy still stands.

My first attempts were not up to much but with a bit more practice I seem to have improved. Give it a go and be prepared to experience a few failures. Success will come with practice. Let me know if you want to have a go and I'll dig out the article for you  ( I made several copies just in case another brave soul wanted to try it )

A lot of old table legs are made from Beech. I carved a lovely 11 X 6 pusher prop from a table leg.

A club mate broke it...on his finger, took eleven stitches to put his finger back together.

Props in unusual place usually results on props in painful places. Seen that too many times.

Oh, I still have three legs left on the table.