Which 2.4 module??

woody

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone could help.I am looking at getting a 2.4ghz module for my ff9, it would be for use with my 50cc wild hare extra the problem is i dont know which one to go for is it best to keep it futaba? Although i like the sound of the jetti duplex .Any feedback would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers Woody.

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

hi woody
i have used the futaba 2,4 module for the last 2 years as i like using my ff9 i must say it is so easy to use a set up it really is plug and play.  i use quiet a lot of different models from edfs to large aerobatic types. i use the 8 channel module so i can run either 7 or 8 channel receivers which is great for use in my pitts  it allows use of all mixes and you don't have to reprogram or reset any models. the main thing i looked at was compatabillity it is futaba with futaba.
hope this helps
colin  

hello woody-dont go paying daft money-unless you have load's like timbo etc......one of the member's of our club is using a module he bought from giant cod for £40.00ish...and the rx's are only £16.00(all on 2.4ghz)--worth a look at..i've flown his model's without one glitch..or any complaint's...........

ken anderson.............

I wouldn't use the GC Corona modules for a 50cc model, for one thing there's no failsafe built in, and also some of the rx's only have a single aerial, so could easily get screened behind a motor as big as 50cc.
I use mine in an Acrowot without any problems, but I've got an add-on failsafe for the throttle.  I've also got the GC setup in a few electric models, again without any problems at all to date, but I'd still be nervous using it in something the size you are talking about.

2 of us at my club have the Jeti modules.  We're both very pleased with them in a variety of models - IC and electric - and the security of feedback of signal strength at the receiver and the model's battery voltage is very reassuring. My clubmate uses his in an 87" Glen's CAP with a Zenoah 62 with no problems.

I certainly wouldn't feel confident using a budget set-up in something like your model - or anything of any size and weight.  Although many people will say they've never had a problem, I've also seen negative reports about some of the cheaper types.  The RF modules and other components may well be sourced from the same places but  can you be confident in how good the workmanship/design is?

we're all funny about the name/label on thing's we use/buy etc........there are only two manufacturer's of LCD screen's in the world...the rest of the named manufacturer's buy the screen's and put them in there tv case/box's...there are only five washing machine manufacturer's in the world-the rest again build the case/box and put the 'big boy's bit's into them...a jaguar car has the 'ford' mondeo gearbox and suspension and brakes ect....you could go on and on and on..........if 'planet'can give you a 2.4ghz set tx and rx for £40.00............what's the point in paying £300+ for a well known 'brand' name apart from a few bell's and whistles.............because it's So expensive-does that mean it's guaranteed to be better ?

a personal view by ken anderson...........not intended to 'stir' it up so to speak  

Ken, I think the relevant point here is that Woody is talking about flying a 50cc model, and the unit you referred to has only one aerial 30mm long, no failsafe and known issues.

I agree about the badge engineering, but in most cases the common unit has a manufacturers implementation providing the user with an individual experience - would  you really compare a Jag with a Mondeo?

As I said before, I'm happy to use the budget systems in smaller models at private sites, but I would be very nervous using them in anything larger than a 60 sport model, and definitely scared at the thought of using it in a large model with it's inbuilt ability to cause mayhem, and the sheer cost of replacement even if it just crashed in the middle of the field.
ok - yes a 300w electric model or an Acrowot sized model could hurt someone, but the potential for damage to other persons or property is much bigger with larger models, a risk that takes it outside my acceptable envelope.  

Agreed, a £16 receiver in a foamy is a bargain and hard to resist but I suspect that Woody's talking about the best part of a grand's worth of kit and an extra £100 doesn't sound such a lot for a module and receiver when that much money is reliant on every part of the set-up.

That's quite apart from the safety and legal aspects - in the unfortunate case of an incident leading to a prosecution under the ANO would a court accept that use of a budget system was within the interpretation of Article 74 -  “A person shall not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property” - especially on a >7kg model where Article 98 additionally applies where the pilot has to have "reasonably satisfied himself that the flight can safely be made".

Telling the beak that "loads of my mates use these without problems" might not satisfy a jury if radio problems were implicated. They would be bound to ask why other people find it worthwhile buying more expensive systems.  It doesn't invalidate your opinion but I feel it's worth considering.

There are many bargains to be had from cheap Chinese equipment but I do believe that quality control can be suspect.

back to the quality aspect when running a 40 size trainer etc we used to use gws receivers single con as we moved up size and price of model servos and receivers improved for my pitts i used to have 14mz  with its standard receiver £175 a time but a grands worth of airframe engine and servos mean you want piece of mind a new futaba 617 2.4ghz receiver are comming down in price to around the £65 or less i fit them in everything from my sloping zaggi my electric foamys i didn't buy them all at once but have upgraded them over time for piece of mind please don't skimp remember the old saying "buy cheap buy twice"
colin

Hi Woody
I have 15 models from indoor to a 50cc yak my tx ia a ff9 with a spektrum module its about 18 months old now and had one glitch in all that time due to running a saito 91 with digi servos on a 4.8v flight pack I have now moved to 6v on all but my 3 lecky models.
for the type of plane you are talking about I would go spektrum every time as the receivers are cheaper than futaba plus most if not all of the bind and fly stuff thats around is spektrum compatable.
also spektrum / horizon hobbies after sales is second to none if you do happen to have a problem.

peter the ff9 is a great tx with all my models in the memory so spending the extra £100 quid or so to go 2.4 was a no brainer as its been so reliable and I couldnt see the point in throwing away £500 for something that i didnt need it also ment that I had £400 left to spend on changing all of my receivers so the way I look at it I got my rx's for free.

They certainly aren't worth buying if you don't have a modular transmitter!

...but (speaking for what I know best, Futaba) unless you've got an old style FF7, you're likely to have a transmitter with expandable model memory (surprising how quickly you can fill a 6 or 8 model memory) , a range of functions far and above a budget £100 transmitter and in all probabilty, better engineered mechanical components as they seem to look cheaper and more plasticy with every new model!

On top of which, changing over to a different transmitter is a lot of work if you've got a decent hangar...

I've used Jeti system now for 3 months with absolutly no problems -electric and ic. Purchased the Tx internal module for FF9 - no ariels hanging out the back, but does mean that I can't change back (easily) to 35Meg, but thats a small price to pay because I wanted to retain my FF9. Fitting was not too bad but I enlisted the help of a good R/C electronics pal, as you can't afford to take any risks. Looking forward to trying the Vario unit - could be an eye opener 1000 feet guestimate will probable come down to 500!
Now gone over to 100% Jeti, so changing back to 35Meg is no longer an issue.
ps brought all Jeti gear from Puffin.

another point i was reading about was the modules that plug into the futaba tx's..have to convert the 35mhz signal into 2.4ghz and then send it on it's way to the rx in the model.so again there is a delay-be it miniscule before the actual signal is sent and converted into movement of a control surface..........really the plug in module's are only a stepping stone between 35 and 2.4.......and the only sure fire way is all of a(complete 2.4)set or nothing-stay with 35mhz..............

another point of view by ken anderson............

Edited By ken anderson. on 25/10/2009 14:53:08

As I understand it, a module does introduce a measure of latency as the PPM signal must be generated first and then encoded by the module into the digital code that is transmitted.  A non-modular transmitter simply encodes the stick position information directly. The original Futaba  FF10  is an exception as its (dedicated) module processes the information into digital code via extra connectors but retains an additional PPM output in order to allow the use of a standard 35 MHz module.

Whether this translates to any meaningful difference in feel is another matter.  Certainly, I've heard it claimed that models respond faster but I can't understand why a delay of milliseconds would be noticeable when servos take in the order of a tenth of a second to travel 30 degrees or so.

Hi all thanks for all the feedback, i have a range of about 28 models ranging from indoor shockies to my 50cc extra, everything is on 35mhz and i have never been interested in 2.4 that is until i spent over 2000 pounds on my extra! And all of a sudden im worried about being shot down, I think i am going to go for the jeti duplex as it works in a similar way to the futaba system but with a few extra bits like the jeti box, and seems well priced to. I not against these budget systems but as with everything you do seem to get what you pay for!
regards woody.

Assan 2.4 module from UH ($90) inc 2 rx. I use this module in the same Tx you have with the 2.4 ASSAN long Ae Rx in a Funtana X100 and a 1.8m 25cc Yak without even blinking a eyelid!

Apparantly its all made in China, just like the model, engine and batteries lol so what the heck!